This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hands on with the E-30

I get the sense, having watched Oly's dslr rollouts beginning with the E-400, that they simply don't have the production volume to release a great flood of each new model at once. Hence, their incremental releases beginning in Europe and Japan, then catching up in the States and elsewhere.

My presumption is Canon and some of the other makers have much larger "spigots" to turn on when producing a new model.

Comment

Yes this is my impression too. Olympus DSLR volume is low compared to both Nikon and Canon so this lends credence to the theory and would exlain the initial pricing !

Comment

I get the sense, having watched Oly's dslr rollouts beginning with the E-400, that they simply don't have the production volume to release a great flood of each new model at once. Hence, their incremental releases beginning in Europe and Japan, then catching up in the States and elsewhere.
        Maybe not such a bad move. Nikon certainly have had huge issues in the past with an inability to meet demands for its hot new products. Several pieces of my Nikon gear took upwards of 6 months and with my 18-200VR lens I believe longer - - - from the date they were released in stores until I could actually purchase one - - - even then the pieces were only available if I was on a waiting list.

As far as price is concerned - - - I've always paid more for Olympus gear, and do it gladly (I remember my OM4T and OM3 and the exotic glass to go with them - like the 350mmf2). I don't see any reason why they have to follow the identical pricing structure of Nikon, Canon or anyone else. At least they are always in the range (example D300 and E-3 were only maybe $100 apart) - and still affordable, I'm a potential customer. The suggested retail of the E30 seems like a logical starting point to me without destroying the value of the sub $1000 E-520/E-420 cameras. In Canada anyway, I'm currently looking at $1100 for a Nikon D90 and $1400 for a Canon 50D. The E30 fits right in there and should be a competitive product to these models even if it ends up being $1300. (comparison of next jump up is E-3 - $1695 and D300 - $1630)
        INSTAGRAM - @rswpix

Comment

I also believe, if you look at the Olympus financial results, that they are different, insofar as Europe is the most important market for sales volume and revenue and not North America as it is for Canon and Nikon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
            I also believe, if you look at the Olympus financial results, that they are different, insofar as Europe is the most important market for sales volume and revenue and not North America as it is for Canon and Nikon.
            I agree with that. Even back in the 80's when I started using Olympus professionally (and looked like a fool for doing so to any "in the know" and even customers), I used to have to search deep to find support and some sort of mentoring from professional photographers who used Olympus gear - - - they undoubtedly all came from Europe, mostly Great Britain. I'm sure that is still the same (although I'm sure point and shoot cameras are a likely exception with large sales in America).
            INSTAGRAM - @rswpix

Comment

Don't know if Oly is/are shooting themselfs in the foot with higher pricing. It is a competative marketed and a lot of the camera discussions (at least on techy sites as dpreview) focus on comparing lists. Maybe Oly is not catering to that crowd (although they probably don't ignore the potential buyers in that group either) but to the people who look at the bigger picture of a system and if the Oly body fullfils their needs.

If this slice of market share is willing to pay a higher price (complain about it, yes, but still go out in purchase the new toy/tool) then it may not be so stupid. Just means I will need to wait a bit longer ..

It also set's Oly apart from their competitors (and some express that as a plus) and, when the price comes down, it feels like a better deal because the initial pricing was higher (perceived value..).

We keep expressing Oly is different then the others and they price their products different .. hmm, aren't we asking for it?

Martin

Comment

I think to most of us the E30 came as a surprise, at least it was to me. Sure, I expected something like it in due course next year, but never so soon as January, so to complain about it not being available right now to compete with the latest from Nikon and Canon seems to be a little churlish.

As for pricing, well that's for Olympus to decide initially but in the long term it will be determined by market forces. If it sells enough at the launch price who can blame them? If it flops, then after a few months you'll probably get it at the bargain price you want. Remember, it's far easier to reduce a launch price than it is to increase it! In fact, even if it sells well initially, in due course it will drop in price anyway.

And given that they're never going to increase market penetration to rival Nikon /Canon, it makes more economic sense to sell 1000 units at 250 profit each than 10,000 units at 20 profit, especially when you factor in the greater distribution costs of a mass market approach and if you are a little light on manufacturing capacity!
                View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

John, that is my take on the issue. Olympus are not a mass market manufacturere of DSLR's and do not have the manufacturing capacity to take on Canon or even Nikon in that arena. If the manufacturing capacity is limited (and it always is) then it makes great economic sense to price the product at a premium intially and maximise profit on each unit of the limited number available. In fact we should be applauding the olympus strategy because ultimately if they can make more profit per unit than Cano or Nikon they will be better placed to bring to market the products we want to buy. Albeit that these products will be priced at a level we don't like !

Comment

This pricing could help clear the shelves of old E3 stock. I sure would like one.
                    (alloy body,weather seal,etc.) It's all about the image sensor for though. Is the e-30 to have the same sensor as the g-1? Is it better than E-3's. I still use e500(8mp kodak made sensor). Does panasonic make the current sensors for Olympus?
                    Thanks,Dale

Comment

Re: Hands on with the E-30 coming up

Thank you for all your hard work.

Now I wonder if you have some sample images?
                      My Daily Something

Comment

Re: Hands on with the E-30 coming up

ian was asked not to post any from the pre-production sample

Comment

Working...
                        X