Best Print Size for Four Thirds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Best Print Size for Four Thirds

Just bought a used E-30 in great condition with the 14-54 MKII lens.

If I wanted to make prints, what is the best size that approximates the sensor?

I have read that 4 x 6 does not work, 4 x 5.3 is better, and 5 x 7 or larger would be even better with less cropping.

I am confused about all this coming from Nikon and Canon systems which are 3 x 2 aspect ration, and I always when needed, printed 4 x 6 without thinking about cropping.

If someone could clarify print making sizes for 4/3, I would appreciate it.

Re: Best Print Size for Four Thirds

Is there any reason not to print in 4x3 format (6x8?)? I mean.. do you print at home, or send files to some local lab?
    Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
    M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Comment

Do both but from Nikon or Canon Dslrs 4x6 without question. When I bought e30, could not find any definitive article on recommended print size. All I found was 4x5 or 5x7. I printed both and found 5x7 truer to image with minimal cropping.

I guess 6x8 is the ideal?

Comment

Don't know if it is ideal, but you don't have to crop anything with 6x8.
        Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
        M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Comment

Originally posted by searchlight View Post
          Do both but from Nikon or Canon Dslrs 4x6 without question. When I bought e30, could not find any definitive article on recommended print size. All I found was 4x5 or 5x7. I printed both and found 5x7 truer to image with minimal cropping.

I guess 6x8 is the ideal?
          The beauty of the 4/3 system is that you can choose your own aspect ratio. Surely the image and the paper size dictate how you crop; if you use a TV screen or send your stuff for projection on a computer, it might be different. If you have a 4:3 screen it will be 4:3. If the TV is 16:9 use that. All of these are available in Lightroom and Photoshop.
          I am still annoyed that Olympus has abandoned those of use with E-510 and similar cameras, with the move to the micro-4/3 system. it seemed to have everything going for it when it came out.
          Last edited by BobB; 2nd March 2015, 04:01 PM. Reason: Adding a bit.

Comment

Assuming you don't want to crop off any of the image, the length-to-width ratio of a 4/3 sensor is 4:3. If you pull out your calculator and divide the long side by the short side of the print, sizes that come to 4/3 (1.33) will result in the least cropping. There are many sizes that are close, depending upon how big you want to go. For example, 6x8 is perfect (as T-Lama suggests); 8x10, 10x13, 16x20, and 20x24 are close.

- Hal -
            A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
            Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

ANY print size, other than 4x6, is well suited for printing with very minimal cropping. With any other cropped sensor camera, 4x6 is the ONLY size that can be printed without significant cropping. This is something that 4/3rd shares with full frame.

Jeff
              My grandson, Ian (not our own FTU Ian), calls me "Tata", so I am...

Ian's Tata

Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons...
              For you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

http://ianstata.com
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/ians-tata/
              http://www.edwardswaterhouseinn.com/ 2014, 2015, & 2016 TripAdvisor Certificates of Excellence
              https://www.facebook.com/edwardswaterhouse

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. Much appreciated.

I guess the obvious answer is that nowadays, most people store their images on a hard drive, DVD or similar for posterity, and later review.

For those special moments, enlargements are appropriate but for general photography, store the image, and aspect ratio becomes moot dependent upon the device used for viewing.

I have been brainwashed so long on 4 x 6 and other DSLRS, that I am trying to rationalize or justify 4/3 in 3.2 aspect ratio terms.

What sold me on the E-30 was the fact that it, along with the new 14-54 MK II lens according to the many reviews, produces outstanding JPEG images right out of the box. Something I always sought in a DSLR but many I have owned fell short requiring a degree of PP.

In other words, my criteria was great color and sharpness. I always found in Nikon and Canon that my images were either soft initially, or the colors flat. Four Thirds seemed to offer the alternative.

Do you all agree?

Comment

Working...
                X