Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-3 C-AF (should also be E-620, E-30 applicable)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: E-3 C-AF (should also be E-620, E-30 applicable)

Thanks for the info Andy; that did the trick.

Whole point of this exercise is to show the results of my first attempt at C-AF after setting all your recommendation on my E3.

As you can see, the first shot was slightly our of focus; the second was pretty sharp, while the third and fourth drifted out of focus again.

The good news is that I got a keeper, but C-AF continues to re-focus during a burst. It corrected after the first shot then went out again for the third and fourth. Any ideas as to why it would do that. As you can see, there was nothing to get in the way of the subject to cause the re-focus.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    E3, E510, 50-200SWD, 14-54 Mk1, 35mm Macro, 14-42 Kit, 200mm & 300mm legacys, HDL-4 & Manfrotto tripod & head.

Comment

Originally posted by Sights View Post
      Thanks for the info Andy; that did the trick.

Whole point of this exercise is to show the results of my first attempt at C-AF after setting all your recommendation on my E3.

As you can see, the first shot was slightly our of focus; the second was pretty sharp, while the third and fourth drifted out of focus again.

The good news is that I got a keeper, but C-AF continues to re-focus during a burst. It corrected after the first shot then went out again for the third and fourth. Any ideas as to why it would do that. As you can see, there was nothing to get in the way of the subject to cause the re-focus.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.
      Did you use All-AF points or just the centre? Did you use 'L' mode rather than 'H'? Are all of the settings as suggested?

Given the first shot isn't in focus, it suggests that you didn't get a good lock in the first place - hence my tip about following the bird, shutter release half-pressed, followed by a short burst when you have a stable lock.

The other thing is to blow out the mirror box - particularly the AF sensor at the bottom with a hand blower - dust on the sensor will make it jump about.The 50-200 SWD tends to be twitchier than some of the other lenses.

As much as anything, you need to practise - a stable panning action will help no end.

Andy
      Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
      mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
      EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
      Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

Originally posted by AndyElliott View Post
        Did you use All-AF points or just the centre? Did you use 'L' mode rather than 'H'? Are all of the settings as suggested?
        Did use just the centre point, 'L' mode and all of the suggested setting.

Given the first shot isn't in focus, it suggests that you didn't get a good lock in the first place - hence my tip about following the bird, shutter release half-pressed, followed by a short burst when you have a stable lock.
        I actually heard the bird coming before I saw it. I was able to get the camera aimed at the line of trees before the bird appeared. When it did come into view I was abel pan it across the road to the line of trees on the other side. The possibility that I didn't hold the button down long enough to get a proper lock does hold, and could have been the case in the excitement.

The other thing is to blow out the mirror box - particularly the AF sensor at the bottom with a hand blower - dust on the sensor will make it jump about.The 50-200 SWD tends to be twitchier than some of the other lenses.
        I will get a hand blower and give it a clean. I certainly do notice the "twitchiness" of the lens, but a small flaw for the quality - but needs to be taken into account.
        I've had the E3 for about 15 months and use it at every opportunity I can get. It hasn't had a clean out since I got it, so maybe it's well due.

As much as anything, you need to practise - a stable panning action will help no end.
        Given that my E3 was set opposite to every suggestion you made, and I had been trying to shoot C-AF like that; the sample I posted I consider to be a definate move forward. That I got one keeper in the first attempt is great!
        No doubt, as you say, practise will make perfect. And, when the practise has achieved my goal, pracitse some more.

It may be as you said in your suggestions:
        "There is a major drawback, you need to have the skill and practise to keep the AF point on the moving object (in the worst case, the same bit of the moving object)."

Many thanks Andy.
        E3, E510, 50-200SWD, 14-54 Mk1, 35mm Macro, 14-42 Kit, 200mm & 300mm legacys, HDL-4 & Manfrotto tripod & head.

Comment

PS: From a closer examination of the shots, I think I see the problem.

The position of the bird within the frame for the first two shots is about dead centre, and in the subsequent two shots the bird is more to the rear of the frame.

This can only come from panning too fast causing the centre focus point to move off target - thus poor focus. :\

Comment

Originally posted by Sights View Post
            PS: From a closer examination of the shots, I think I see the problem.

The position of the bird within the frame for the first two shots is about dead centre, and in the subsequent two shots the bird is more to the rear of the frame.

This can only come from panning too fast causing the centre focus point to move off target - thus poor focus. :\

I was just about to suggest that! The main thing is that you have got a good keeper from getting none at all. As I say, practise!

Cheers

Andy
            EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

This is a very good explanation Andy, I use the same settings with my E-30 and set the frames to "L" 4fps, Iv'e not tryed with 5fps. I also hope to get out again soon and post some more photographs.
              Regards

Barrie Norman

To see more of my photographs please visit my website.

http://bwpn.zenfolio.com/

http://naturalhistorycambs.blogspot.com/

Digital Equipment: Olympus E1 - E30 - E-500 | EC-14 & EC-20 Teleconverter | Zukio 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 150mm F/2, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm | Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 SLD, 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC MACRO, 150 F2.8 Macro & 50-500mm (Bigma).

Comment

Originally posted by Barrie Norman View Post
                This is a very good explanation Andy, I use the same settings with my E-30 and set the frames to "L" 4fps, Iv'e not tryed with 5fps. I also hope to get out again soon and post some more photographs.
                Barrie

Drop me a note if you fancy a meet up! Looks like we might have sunshine this week!

Andy
                EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

Re: Exposure

Also make sure the ISO is set to a value not on Auto or it will change the exposure, the default settings for E series cameras is auto ISO is not enabled on manual mode but I have enabled it on my camera.

Paul
                  GH-3, OM-D, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, 25, 60 macro, 40-150 Pro.

RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
                  Flickr

Comment

Re: Exposure

Originally posted by Woofmix View Post
                    Also make sure the ISO is set to a value not on Auto or it will change the exposure, the default settings for E series cameras is auto ISO is not enabled on manual mode but I have enabled it on my camera.

Paul

Good point - shouldn't be an issue from default, but worth checking. I wish manual would allow you to set Auto ISO and allow EV correction!

Andy
                    EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

Working...
                    X