How to change focusing screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to change focusing screen

Changing focusing screen or (removing for cleaning) is not as hard as it sounds, but still you should be careful doing so. First of all, this procedure is best to be done at clean, dust-free place, if possible. If the dust will get on your camera's prism or on the screen itself, it is really annoying and cleaning may not be as easy. You will need a tool to manipulate with the screen, preferably tweezers (I am using pliers on these pictures, but it is not recommended at all). Some soft cloth (towel) can be used to cover your working place to help the screen in avoiding damage, if you accidentaly drop it.

1.) Make sure your camera is off (removing battery can be a good idea).

2.) Hold your E-1 pointing up at some 45 degrees or so. (Do not do the next step with camera pointing horizontally, focusing screen may just jump out of your camera when lock is opened).

3.) Grab the frame lock (marked red) and pull it towards you. This can be easily done by a fingernail, but you can use a small screwdriver or any other small tool as well. The frame will flip down, exposing the screen.

4.) Grab the screen by the small rectangular "dent" with tweezers (if you are using pliers, be VERY CAREFUL - leverage on pliers is quite high and screen is very fragile, you may crush the dent easily (just as I did when I was removing that screen for the first time )). Hold it firmly, but gently.

5.) When holding the screen, lift it up a bit above the frame and pull it out of the camera carefully, so it won't collide with other parts.

6.) Place it on the soft fabric surface and grab the other screen, then put it into the frame the same way you removed it. After that, you should put the former screen into the screen case to protect it from damage. Check if the new screen sits correctly in the frame.. if it is slightly off, just gently tap the camera with hand and it wil jump to it's position.

7.) Finally, push the frame back to it's position. This can be done with finger, or you can use a toothpick (it is not as hard as metal, so even if it slips, there is much lower probability you will scratch something), pushing from outer side of the frame between frame and lock (marked red). It will click into position, check if it is locked properly, the pointy part of the frame should be clearly visible through the lock.

And that is all, hope it will help someone.
    Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
    M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Re: How to change focusing screen

Superbly done instructional post
    GF1 / E-5 / TM900

Comment

Sorry! you have missed off two very important steps at the end.

1) Once new screen is back in place, sit down, wait 10 minutes for your muscles to stop twitching
      2) Pour yourself a strong drink, you deserve it.

Note :- step one above is to prevent you spilling step 2

Comment

fantastic. i may give this a try when i get my screen. actually they said it's custom made and will take 4/5 days to make, so i might have it in two weeks. i will look this over as well as the instructions on katzeye's website. doesn't seem hard, i've done it with my 35mm, this screen is just very small and i don't know the inner workings of digital and think they are a lot more sensitive than with a film camera.

and yeah, i second the drink after all this is done.
        Happily photographing within my camera's limitations.
        Website

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Howi View Post
          Sorry! you have missed off two very important steps at the end.

1) Once new screen is back in place, sit down, wait 10 minutes for your muscles to stop twitching
          2) Pour yourself a strong drink, you deserve it.

Note :- step one above is to prevent you spilling step 2

That's right, I almost forgot these steps because of heart attack... ..as you can see, the dent on that screen was already crushed and when I was holding it this time with pliers in one hand, trying to get some close-up shots with E1+1454+FL50 combo in the other hand, the damned thing broke apart just at the moment I put it back in camera . Getting it out of frame without that dent is not easy nor safe, but I finally managed to do so and spent some really stressing moments trying to glue those small pieces(two of them, each smaller than 1mm) back into their places.
          Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
          M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Comment

One more set of instructions:

http://www.focusingscreen.com/work/e3en.htm

GF1 / E-5 / TM900

Comment

Working...
            X