E510 vs E1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E510 vs E1

Seeing as you can now pick up an E1 for around £150 on eBay I, like many other people, am getting tempted!

Are there other users out there who use both the E510 and E1... if so, what's been your experience?

The main thing that annoys me about the E510 is the blown highlights... I've read that the E1 has better dynamic range, can anyone verify that?

Obviously to take advantage of the weather sealing I'd also need to invest in a HG lens and I saw one lucky so-and-so win a 14-54 mk1 for £155! One question; is the only difference between mk1 and mk2 the contrast based AF support?
    E1, EP3, GX1, 14-54 mkII, 70-300mm, m9-18, m14-42, m40-150, m20 1.7, m45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Re: E510 vs E1

Originally posted by timg View Post
    The main thing that annoys me about the E510 is the blown highlights... I've read that the E1 has better dynamic range, can anyone verify that?
    The E-1 has a 5MP Kodak CCD sensor rather than the 10MP Panasonic NMOS sensor used on the E-510. The images should come out punchier, but I don't know about the dynamic range.

Obviously to take advantage of the weather sealing I'd also need to invest in a HG lens and I saw one lucky so-and-so win a 14-54 mk1 for £155! One question; is the only difference between mk1 and mk2 the contrast based AF support?
    Only big difference, yes. The Mark II also has a round aperture, which should provide slightly creamier bokeh, and is also imperceptibly faster (ie, 1:0.1 difference at some focal lengths). They should be optically the same otherwise.
    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Hello.
      My first 4/3 camera was - and is - an E1.
      my last was - and is - an E-520. And I use both.

Apart from the differences - small - between the E-510 and E-520 - the physical differences between the E1 and the E510 are huge and sometimes confusing if you use both cameras simultaneously.

The E1 dynamic range is very good, much better than the E-520, particularly in RAW, because in jpeg the Auto Gradation in the E-520 handles the problem very well in low ISO's. I believe the difference to the E-510 will be even bigger.

The E1 has a very, very, very good construction and a very good finder. I use mine with the 14-54 mkI and the 11-22 in every type of weather and never, never, never had a problem related to weather sealing.

bottom line: Buy one if you can afford the £150/200 they cost. You won't be disappointed. The E1 still is the camera with the best "hand" I have ever handled.

Best regards.
      Rogerioi

Comment

Here, here!

Ergonomics are superb. I recently bought one (£199 including warranty from a well-known Scottish dealer) to supplement my E-P2 and G2. I've also owned E-510, E-520, E-620 and E-3. The dynamic range of the E-1 is really very good, and the sensor proves that size isn't everything. 16x20 inch prints come out of it very smooth and sharp.

The 14-54 (I use a Mk2 so can also use it on m4/3) is beautifully balanced.

Originally posted by rogerioi View Post
        The E1 still is the camera with the best "hand" I have ever handled.

Best regards.
        Rogerioi
        Stephen - www.flickr.com/photos/argyllphotos
        Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M5, Zenza Bronica, and an ever-changing nest of lenses

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by Ned View Post
          The images should come out punchier, but I don't know about the dynamic range.
          People always say the E1 images had that certain “je ne sais quoi”… megapixels don’t really worry me that much; after all I still use my 4mp C770 UZ.

Originally posted by StephenL View Post
          I've also owned E-510, E-520, E-620 and E-3.
          That’s quite a collection! Out of interest, how does the E1 image quality match up with the E620?

Ideally I would get the mk2 for that reason but of course it all comes down to money… though I think I probably will ‘go micro’ at some point in the future. How does the lens feel on a micro body?

Apart from being brighter, is the 14:54 lens sharper than the 14:42 kit lens from the E510? (Not that I've ever been disappointed by the kit lens!)

Pros:
          Construction
          Weather seals
          View Finder
          Image quality
          LCD top panel

Cons:
          No IS
          No Live View
          Small low-res screen
          Weight

I'm still tempted just to see what it's like...
          E1, EP3, GX1, 14-54 mkII, 70-300mm, m9-18, m14-42, m40-150, m20 1.7, m45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

The E-1 image quality is up there with the best, using the same lens. I'm talking landscape photography here, so I can't say how it would cope with, say, sports.

The 14-54 is a very sharp lens and you can notice the difference from the kit lens even without pixel-peeping!

Comment

I have E1 and E520, after using E1 for some time the E520 feels like hmm... a toy. E1 feels very solid and so on. I just love the most common buttons placed @E1. At first it was a bit strange but when get used to it - you'll stat lovin it. As for E1 cons - no IS, no internal flash, low res screen, a bit slow (especialy when shoot in JPG) but not that bad.
              I still get highlights blown out but it might be also cause I don't know much about photography. There are some features on E520 that could be on E1 but can live without them also.
              Strange part is that raw files are about the same size on both of them even thou one has 2 times more pix.
              The other nice thing is that the battey is the sam on E1 and E520 (I suspect 510 has the same aswell).
              E-1; E-520; E-M10; ZD 14-42; ZD 35+CIR-PL; ZD 40-150; FL-36R; Metz 52-AF1

Comment

I'm talking landscape photography here, so I can't say how it would cope with, say, sports.
                That's fine as landscapes are my cup of tea!

Originally posted by throt View Post
                I still get highlights blown out but it might be also cause I don't know much about photography.
                I know how you feel, it may just be that I’m expecting too much!

Originally posted by throt View Post
                Strange part is that raw files are about the same size on both of them even thou one has 2 times more pix.
                I’d read this too, but it’s not quite the problem it used to be considering how cheap hard drives are these days!

Thanks to everyone for their help, I may have to wait and see what Santa brings this year!

Comment

just a clarification -

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by StephenL View Post

Ideally I would get the mk2 for that reason ....

The Mk 1 works on the m43 and focuses fine, the difference between AF performance on the 'optomised' lenses and the rest is hard to spot, certainly relative to the lighting/subject factors.
                  E-P1, OMD E-M1, E400
                  7-14/12-50/12-60/14-42/17/30(1.4)/35-100/40-150/45/50/50-200
                  ec14/ec20/ex25/MMF-1, MMF-3/ RF11/FL50Rs/FL36R/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Comment

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post
                    just a clarification -

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by StephenL View Post

Ideally I would get the mk2 for that reason ....

The Mk 1 works on the m43 and focuses fine, the difference between AF performance on the 'optomised' lenses and the rest is hard to spot, certainly relative to the lighting/subject factors.
                    I wish I'd seen your reply an hour earlier... just bought a MK2 on eBay, would have gone for a cheaper MK1 if I'd have known that! Still, I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

Now for an E1...

Comment

This has been an inspiring thread m only FT body in use is a 510.

And then a very lucky thing happened. My wife needed yet another sewing machine, this one to take to the quilting and quilting software classes she's teaching. She knew of something from the 40s and 50 called a Singer Slack-o-matic (really). It'll do what she needs and is built like an E-1 body (indeed, stronger). They run $150 for fine copies on eBay. She bought one. By house rules, I now have an equivalent amount to spend on camera kit. And I found a slightly scuffed E-1 with whatever the extra battery grip is and no one wanted to bid over $150, so I should have it by Wednesday or Thursday.
                      Steve

Comment

Not my experience. The Mk2 is streets ahead in focussing on the m4/3 systems, in my experience. I owned the Mk1 before I changed it to the Mk2 and certainly notice the difference in focussing. IQ is identical, of course.

Originally posted by photo_owl View Post

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy View Post
                          By house rules, I now have an equivalent amount to spend on camera kit. And I found a slightly scuffed E-1 with whatever the extra battery grip is and no one wanted to bid over $150, so I should have it by Wednesday or Thursday.
                          Glad to hear we can be of service! I’m currently watching a couple of E1s to see what happens…

Not my experience. The Mk2 is streets ahead in focussing on the m4/3 systems, in my experience. I owned the Mk1 before I changed it to the Mk2 and certainly notice the difference in focussing. IQ is identical, of course.
                          Thanks for that Stephen, it makes me feel a whole lot better for spending the extra!

Comment

FWIW this was taken with the E-1 (on my second day of ownership) and the 14-54 Mk2:

Comment

I’d read this too, but it’s not quite the problem it used to be considering how cheap hard drives are these days!
                              yeah tellme about that... maybe if I get 80-90% of the external harddrive full I would get myself to converting those files to 10 times smaller JPGs.

Cople of days ago camera reminded me that I'm still missing quality glass, wider angle and a tripod - would loved getting a better shot
                              E-1; E-520; E-M10; ZD 14-42; ZD 35+CIR-PL; ZD 40-150; FL-36R; Metz 52-AF1

Comment

Working...
                              X