E1 Locking Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E1 Locking Up

Ever since I bought my E1, some four years ago, I've had an intermittent problem were the camera locks up, you can't do anything with it, not even power off. The only way to un-lock it is to remove the battery. I've lived with the problem but I just wondered if anyone else has the same problem and what is the cure if any?

www.phildrakephotography.co.uk
    E1, 14-54mm, 50mm Macro, 40-150mm

My website: www.phildrakephotography.co.uk

Battery?

I would definitely try another battery as my first troubleshoot. Check the voltags and amps on the battery you are using.

Comment

Re: E1 Locking Up

Are you on the latest firmware (v1.5)?

Andy
      Olympus E-M1 ZD 7-14 f4, 300 f2.8, PL 25 f1.4D
      mZuiko 12-40 f2.8 Pro, 60 f2.8, 40-150 f2.8 Pro
      EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7
      Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

Thanks guys,
        Just by chance I have ordered a new battery as a back up so will give it a try. As far as Firmware goes I'm at 1.4 I looked at what 1.5 does and it's for teleconverter improvement, but will upgrade anyway.

Comment

Just upgraded to v1.5 As a matter of interest I see there are some upgrades to lenses as well, I take it Olympus Studio checks whatever lens is attached at the time of the Camera upgrade is at the latest level as well?

Comment

Originally posted by PHAD View Post
            I take it Olympus Studio checks whatever lens is attached at the time of the Camera upgrade is at the latest level as well?

Yes, that is correct.
            EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

I know I up dated to v1.4 back in 2005 and I used Olympus Studio1 trial version but yesterday I had to use Studio 2 which I downloaded from the Olympus site, also a trial version. It seems a bit of a cheek, on Olympus side, that once the trial has expired you have no way of downloading updates, not that Olympus is going to release any more for the E1 but what about the E3?

BTW Andy I notice you have an E3 & an E1, how does it compare to the E1? I absolutely love the E1 and the only thing against it is, being old technology it suffers from noise at the higher ISO's.

Comment

Hi Phil,

Sorry I can't help regarding your E1 locking but I just had to reply and I say I've really enjoyed looking at your gallery. The colour street set is awesome, love the processing. Where these shots taken with the E1?

I have an E1 and E3 if you wanted me to take some sample shots for you to compare if it helps?

Cheers
                Garrie
                One Mile Ahead

E1 | E3 | Zuiko 12 - 60 | Zuiko 14 - 45 | Zuiko 40 - 150 | Zuiko 35 Macro | Sigma 10 - 20 | Panasonic DMW-FL50

Comment

Originally posted by PHAD View Post
                  I know I up dated to v1.4 back in 2005 and I used Olympus Studio1 trial version but yesterday I had to use Studio 2 which I downloaded from the Olympus site, also a trial version. It seems a bit of a cheek, on Olympus side, that once the trial has expired you have no way of downloading updates, not that Olympus is going to release any more for the E1 but what about the E3?

BTW Andy I notice you have an E3 & an E1, how does it compare to the E1? I absolutely love the E1 and the only thing against it is, being old technology it suffers from noise at the higher ISO's.

Olympus Master is free, Olympus Studio is the one you pay for (does the tethered shooting stuff). So download Master, it will do the updates and won't expire.

The E-3 is much better for high-ISO noise control, noticeably much better at ISO 800 and above. The E-1 is marginally cleaner at ISO 100, but not by much. The E-3 is heavier, has liveview, articulated and larger screen (very useful) and obviously has much more resolution. The main bugbear I have with the E-1 is the autofocus - the E-3 is much, much better - faster, better in low light, better for C-AF. The E-3 is more configurable than the E-1. The E-3 also has a built-in flash, which is useful sometimes (especially as it is waterproof, which the external ones aren't). Ergonomically, I prefer the E-1 in some ways. In terms of fit and finish, the E-3 is a tad better on how the metal seams align, but the E-1 somehow feels more robust. However, 90% the time the E-3 gets used...

Andy
                  EC-14, EC-20, HLD-7

"Oly_OM" @ e_group

Comment

Thanks Garrie.
                    The Colour street set-Sir!,Old & New,Coloured Lights & Chair were taken with the E1 the rest were with various Nikons The Coloured Lights shot was at ISO 3200 & some noise is there. I love the E1 it's now old technology but the only things I have against it are slow start up and noise at higher ISO's. When I compare it against the Nikons I really can't see any difference and I print A3 size for exhibitions.
                    Olympus lenses are, in my opinion, superior to Nikon & they do a quality lens with the most useable range (14-54mm & 12-60mm) for my kind of photography. Nikon do cheap kit type lenses in this range like the 18-70mm but no pro lenses. The nearest is 24-70mm (for the full frame) but it's just not long enough.

Last edited by PHAD; 9th December 2009, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Garrie,
                      Just had a look at your One Mile Ahead website and I will return the compliment your Abandoned and Derelict is absolutely wonderful, great shots.

Last edited by PHAD; 9th December 2009, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks Andy, Olympus are not so cheeky after all! Will let you know if my problem is solved.

Last edited by PHAD; 9th December 2009, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Afraid that E1s have a tendency to do that- some more than others. There have been several accounts on other forums of them doing so. My friend's E1 would do it fairly regularly. Mine only did so twice in its lifetime.

Comment

My E-1 did it intermitently for years but it was never an issue. A quick hard reset and I was shooting again is less than a minute. This January i was five feet in front of a stage with Little Feat and seven other musicians all playing together.... and it wouldnt do anything except turn on. I never got to shoot even one frame. Olympus says they can fix it for $240.00. Even though I just got my new E-5 I may go ahead and do it. I do really, really like my E-1.

Comment

Working...
                            X