E-1 on the way!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: E-1 on the way!

When I wanted to get into DSLR's, I researched all of the brands. I shoot with Canon 35mm film camera's so that would have been a natural selection. I always respected Olympus 35mm tech so, after a month of hard research, my choice was the E-1. I could only budget for the 14-45 and 40-150 lenses for now but they have served me very well so far. The E-1 is a brilliant design and the Kodak sensor is to die for, it's dynamic range and color is superb. This body suits my style perfectly and is a dream to use. 5mp is as good as any film that I currently shoot with and it's output for me is very similar to Kodak Portra 160 film which is perfect. My 8x10 and 8x12 enlargements are magnificent

Comment

Originally posted by kintamasan View Post
      When I wanted to get into DSLR's, I researched all of the brands. I shoot with Canon 35mm film camera's so that would have been a natural selection. I always respected Olympus 35mm tech so, after a month of hard research, my choice was the E-1. I could only budget for the 14-45 and 40-150 lenses for now but they have served me very well so far. The E-1 is a brilliant design and the Kodak sensor is to die for, it's dynamic range and color is superb. This body suits my style perfectly and is a dream to use. 5mp is as good as any film that I currently shoot with and it's output for me is very similar to Kodak Portra 160 film which is perfect. My 8x10 and 8x12 enlargements are magnificent
      It was 2003 when I was after my first DSLR and I thought the E-1 was a strange looking thing, but the IQ had something that looked familiar. At the time Canon had a strong porcelain look and the Sony sensor in the Nikon had a harshness decribed as video look. It was the IQ and the faith that legacy lenses could be adapted.....and that first hands on at the camera store, which hooked me.
      It is fun to try and figure out what the "E-1 Look" is. It isn't resolution, since the E-1 is known to have a strong AA filter and only 5MP. To me it is the tonality both luminosity and color (pallet and saturation). A PP process that I use with various camera is to shoot at low saturation and then build up saturation from highlights to the shadows progressively. This helps with some of my cameras, but with the E-1, there is little difference from the OOC JPEG files. The E-1 is tuned to show color depth. It is easy to get lost in discussions about noise and resolution and not even notice the tonality or color depth. The E-3 is almost there and Leica's M8 has a similar sensor and shows a family resemblence, but the E-1 is a gem.
      Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Ross View Post
        It was 2003 when I was after my first DSLR and I thought the E-1 was a strange looking thing, but the IQ had something that looked familiar. At the time Canon had a strong porcelain look and the Sony sensor in the Nikon had a harshness decribed as video look. It was the IQ and the faith that legacy lenses could be adapted.....and that first hands on at the camera store, which hooked me.
        It is fun to try and figure out what the "E-1 Look" is. It isn't resolution, since the E-1 is known to have a strong AA filter and only 5MP. To me it is the tonality both luminosity and color (pallet and saturation). A PP process that I use with various camera is to shoot at low saturation and then build up saturation from highlights to the shadows progressively. This helps with some of my cameras, but with the E-1, there is little difference from the OOC JPEG files. The E-1 is tuned to show color depth. It is easy to get lost in discussions about noise and resolution and not even notice the tonality or color depth. The E-3 is almost there and Leica's M8 has a similar sensor and shows a family resemblence, but the E-1 is a gem.
        Bob
        It is indeed a gem, having worked extensivley with Nikon in the past and flirted with Canon, I was introduced to the E1 when working in a studio, at first as you say i thought it kind of strange looking and to some degree dismissed it. It didnt take long for me to change my opinion, I found that the E1 handled superbly and the results for a "low res" camera were simply stunning. I no longer work in the studio, but I do have an E1 of my own, I have just purchased an E3 on account of the faster focussing, but the E1 will remain and may still be my number one body depending on how the 3 handles.

Comment

I thought about it today - is it me or is it the 2nd coming of E1 as there are several people getting it from aftermarket.
          It would be fun and kinda crazy if oly would release E1 like budget camera with some minor tuneups. Why do they go for the latest tech - a nice quality yesterdays (or a bit more) camera with no price would be a funny move. As we all know (at least the one using it) E1 is a superb camera even thou it's alost a decade old. So building a camera that aint weather sealed, smalled and lower res LCD, and using scrap parts (no IS, older electronics and so on) the kit price would be 200-300 . Now that would be a seller. You'll get your first dSLR with compact pice (or even lower). With this pice all the high ISO and stuff would be forgotten as the other brands cost at least 2 times more.
          E-1; E-520; E-M10; ZD 14-42; ZD 35+CIR-PL; ZD 40-150; FL-36R; Metz 52-AF1

Comment

Originally posted by throt View Post
            I thought about it today - is it me or is it the 2nd coming of E1 as there are several people getting it from aftermarket.
            It would be fun and kinda crazy if oly would release E1 like budget camera with some minor tuneups. Why do they go for the latest tech - a nice quality yesterdays (or a bit more) camera with no price would be a funny move. As we all know (at least the one using it) E1 is a superb camera even thou it's alost a decade old. So building a camera that aint weather sealed, smalled and lower res LCD, and using scrap parts (no IS, older electronics and so on) the kit price would be 200-300 . Now that would be a seller. You'll get your first dSLR with compact pice (or even lower). With this pice all the high ISO and stuff would be forgotten as the other brands cost at least 2 times more.
            People are getting it because of the quality (i.e. sealing, performance, ergonomics, etc.), but lots of people are bought by numbers. Try to tell them, that small LCD is enough, that they do not need 3" one, but I doubt they will listen. It would not attract many customers, I think.
            What would be really great? Something like E-1 Mk.II, a camera with the same body, built-in IS, latest image processing and a brand new 5-10MPx CCD and maybe with an updated AF sensor. LCD can be a slightly bigger or at least with higher resolution. No need for Live view and such stuff, I can live without it. Now that would be something worth buying!
            Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
            M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Comment

Originally posted by T-Lama View Post
              People are getting it because of the quality (i.e. sealing, performance, ergonomics, etc.), but lots of people are bought by numbers. Try to tell them, that small LCD is enough, that they do not need 3" one, but I doubt they will listen. It would not attract many customers, I think.
              What would be really great? Something like E-1 Mk.II, a camera with the same body, built-in IS, latest image processing and a brand new 5-10MPx CCD and maybe with an updated AF sensor. LCD can be a slightly bigger or at least with higher resolution. No need for Live view and such stuff, I can live without it. Now that would be something worth buying!
              As much as we'd like to believe otherwise I think we all know deep down it would be a very hard sell! The whole technology market is driven by numbers and now even now most people still believe that MP are the de-facto rating by which image quality is rated... though let's not forget that less than 10 years ago even Canon's flagship EOS 1D was 4mp!

That said, your proposal in interesting! As one of the new E1 owners the only thing I'm currently missing from my e510 is IS... during my initial testing I even find the high-iso images from the E1 preferable to the E510. Like others have mentioned, it's not necesarily less noise, but "nicer" noise.

And I'm sure your local Olympus representative would tell you there's already an E1mkIII called the E5!
              E1, EP3, GX1, 14-54 mkII, 70-300mm, m9-18, m14-42, m40-150, m20 1.7, m45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
                And I'm sure your local Olympus representative would tell you there's already an E1mkIII called the E5!
                Well, there are only 2-3 things I do not actually like on E-5 compared to E-1:
                1.) it's price - but that will change over time, so that is a minor thing
                2.) colors - from some of the first pictures I saw, it looked like it shares the same problem as Canon cameras - pale skin tones, oversaturated orange, blue,etc. (but after I saw more pictures , I really hope it was wrong first impression)
                3.) the only thing that will never change and I really didn't like it on E-3 - the Canonish look and some of the controls. I am only glad that there is no "steering wheel" as on 50D, as it is as wrongly placed as it can only be. I personally think that button layout on E-1 is close to perfect as well as placement of all the dials and I don't see a single reason to change it.
                Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
                M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Comment

Originally posted by timg View Post
                  The whole technology market is driven by numbers...
                  That what I was saying. You get not the latest tech and make a body 2 times cheaper than others - well thats the number a lot of people would go by.

Comment

Originally posted by T-Lama View Post
                    Well, there are only 2-3 things I do not actually like on E-5 compared to E-1:
                    1.) it's price - but that will change over time, so that is a minor thing
                    2.) colors - from some of the first pictures I saw, it looked like it shares the same problem as Canon cameras - pale skin tones, oversaturated orange, blue,etc. (but after I saw more pictures , I really hope it was wrong first impression)
                    3.) the only thing that will never change and I really didn't like it on E-3 - the Canonish look and some of the controls. I am only glad that there is no "steering wheel" as on 50D, as it is as wrongly placed as it can only be. I personally think that button layout on E-1 is close to perfect as well as placement of all the dials and I don't see a single reason to change it.
                    I've only been using the E1 for a couple of weeks and after a few teething troubles (like 5 minutes to find the on/off switch! ) I'm getting used to the layout and have to agree that it feels really good in the hand... the only minor niggle I have is that I'm so used to the OK button being the middle of the arrows it feels very odd that it's off to the side!

Even the weight feels good as I was a little concerned that it would feel too heavy in comparison to the E510, but now it just feels like the E510 will break if I hold it the wrong way!

I may be experiencing E1 rose-tinted glasses but I think I know what you mean about the colours, though I do need to do some side-by-side E1 vs E510 testing to make sure I'm not just imagining it!

Having said all that, I am looking forward to 7 years time when you can pick up an E5 for 150!
                    E1, EP3, GX1, 14-54 mkII, 70-300mm, m9-18, m14-42, m40-150, m20 1.7, m45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

Comment

I'm like Reggie and use the Panasonic L1 as my other camera, and I must admit that the tonality of the images from the Kodak sensor do seem to have so much more than the E3.

If the Panasonic L1 were water resistant and had the great viewfinder of the E3, then it would be my only camera. I spend a lot of time out walking, beating and generally getting very dirty and grubby, the E3 copes with that without missing a beat.

I did Umm and Ahh over whether I went for the E1, but my E3 came up at a good price, sometime I'll pick up an E1 and see what all the fuss is about

Comment

I just found out by accident an interesting thing. Or should I say E1 surprised me again.
                        Was trying to shoot something couple of months ago (pic1 pic2 pic3) and pretty much failed it.
                        But with a little fast tuning found out that not everything has been lost (pic1 pic2 pic3)

Comment

Working...
                        X