Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking advice with E1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Seeking advice with E1

    Hi. I recently picked up a couple of E1s. The lenses I have are a 14-42mm and a 40-150mm.

    I only need the camera to do one thing... take close-up photos of jewelry.

    I'm guessing that I can't do that with either one of the above mentioned lenses. If there is a way, I've not figured it out yet. I can't get close enough for the camera to focus as well as for the jewelry to be a decent enough size (percentage of the shot).

    I was eye-balling macro or some type of lens I could purchase that would suit my one purpose for this camera, but I've been getting conflicting info.

    Can anyone help me?

    Thanks,
    Laura

  • #2
    Re: Seeking advice with E1

    I have a 35mm macro and it works just fine. The best would be the 50mm macro but of course it costs a lot more than the 35mm. Look around ebay, I think you can get some fully functional items.
    Last edited by jpmiloilo; 1st February 2014, 06:57 AM. Reason: grammar

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Seeking advice with E1

      I'd go with the 35mm too. Prices are very reasonable, but it's always worth checking s/h prices in stores as well as ebay as I've found that they can be cheeper.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Seeking advice with E1

        The other option is getting the ex25 extension tube to use with the 40-150...
        E1, EP3, GX1, 14-54 mkII, 70-300mm, m9-18, m14-42, m40-150, m20 1.7, m45 1.8, FL36 & various OM glass. flickr

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Seeking advice with E1

          Originally posted by timg View Post
          The other option is getting the ex25 extension tube to use with the 40-150...
          Yet another option would be to get an adapter and use an older manual macro lens. There are a number of such adapters (for example for the Olympus OM lenses there it the MF-1 adapter by Olympus and any number of other brands). There are adapters for a fair number of other lens mounts (though the variety is not as large as with the micro-4/3 cameras, which have a shorter flange distance than for the 4/3 cameras). This route is useful if you have lenses from older film-era SLRs.

          I don't happen to have the 35mm F/T macro lens myself (I have the 50mm). The 35mm F/T macro focuses down to 1:1 magnification, while the larger and more expensive 50mm F/T macro only focuses to 1:2 without the EX-25 adapter (another added cost).

          The F/T macro lenses do allow using the automated camera features, which may be useful depending on your experience.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Seeking advice with E1

            Thank you everyone for your replies. I know I'm going to sound like a kindergartener among a bunch of college students here, but... I don't get this part...

            If I have a 14-42, isn't 35mm in there already? Doesn't a 14-42 cover from 14mm to 42mm?

            BTW, my eyesight is not very good so I'd rather not focus manually.

            I was going to show you two eBay links and ask if these are an option, but I'm new here and have to have 6 posts under my belt in order to post links. Shall I thank you all individually or will I get my hands slapped for that. :-)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Seeking advice with E1

              How big details do you need? (i.e. what is the size of jewelery you are shooting and how much it should fill the frame?)
              I would say 14-42 at 42mm and minimum focusing distance should be usable for a close-up, but not for a macro work..

              Of course there is a 35mm focal lenght in 14-42 range, but difference is in minimum focusing distance. You can go VERY close to the object with 35mm macro lens. In fact, you can go so close, that you may have problems with lighting, as you will most probably cast shadows, if you'll be too close.
              Regards, Pavel.

              E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
              M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Seeking advice with E1

                Originally posted by JewelryPhotos View Post
                Thank you everyone for your replies. I know I'm going to sound like a kindergartener among a bunch of college students here, but... I don't get this part...

                If I have a 14-42, isn't 35mm in there already? Doesn't a 14-42 cover from 14mm to 42mm?

                BTW, my eyesight is not very good so I'd rather not focus manually.

                I was going to show you two eBay links and ask if these are an option, but I'm new here and have to have 6 posts under my belt in order to post links. Shall I thank you all individually or will I get my hands slapped for that. :-)
                Yes the 14-42mm zoom covers the 35mm focal length of the 35mm macro. The macro lens is optimized to produce good results at short distances (macro). Since you expressed an interest in shooting images of jewelry, the quality of those images will be better with the macro lens, and it will also be able to focus at closer distances (higher magnifications).

                With your remark about preferring not to rely on manual focusing, then the 35mm is probably your best bet :-)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Seeking advice with E1

                  Oh thanks! So what I should be looking for is a 35mm macro lens for the E1. I didn't realize this was a thing. I thought a 35mm lens was a 35mm lens... and it was just CALLED macro because it could get in closer than a 200mm lens.

                  (Where's the embarrassed emoticon when you need it?)

                  Okay, off to look for a 35mm macro lens that will work with my E1. Thanks

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Seeking advice with E1

                    Holy bat turds! The cheapest I can find it for is almost $200. That's a lot of mullah for something that "hopefully" will work. :-(

                    I suppose the odds of me finding someone willing to trade one of those lenses for either of my lenses or an extra E1 are pretty slim.

                    Sigh...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Seeking advice with E1

                      Originally posted by JewelryPhotos View Post
                      Holy bat turds! The cheapest I can find it for is almost $200. That's a lot of mullah for something that "hopefully" will work. :-(

                      I suppose the odds of me finding someone willing to trade one of those lenses for either of my lenses or an extra E1 are pretty slim.

                      Sigh...
                      The new price from OlympusAmerica is US$229. Taking a quick look through the completed sales at eBay, these lenses are going for US$85-150 in used condition.

                      The lens will do a good job at taking pictures of the jewelry. Olympus has long had a sterling reputation with their macro lenses. Much of their optical work over the years has involved this type of photography and close-up optics in medical use (e.g. endoscopes) and microscopes.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Seeking advice with E1

                        Originally posted by T-Lama View Post
                        How big details do you need? (i.e. what is the size of jewelery you are shooting and how much it should fill the frame?)
                        I would say 14-42 at 42mm and minimum focusing distance should be usable for a close-up, but not for a macro work..

                        Of course there is a 35mm focal lenght in 14-42 range, but difference is in minimum focusing distance. You can go VERY close to the object with 35mm macro lens. In fact, you can go so close, that you may have problems with lighting, as you will most probably cast shadows, if you'll be too close.
                        I was really hoping the 14-42 lens could do it for me. I don't need to close enough to see the snot up a fly's nose, but I do need my jewelry item to be in fantastic focus.

                        I'd show you a picture example, but I can't figure out how to post a picture here and I don't think I'm up to 6 posts yet so can't add a link.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Seeking advice with E1

                          Originally posted by mhobart View Post
                          The new price from OlympusAmerica is US$229. Taking a quick look through the completed sales at eBay, these lenses are going for US$85-150 in used condition.

                          The lens will do a good job at taking pictures of the jewelry. Olympus has long had a sterling reputation with their macro lenses. Much of their optical work over the years has involved this type of photography and close-up optics in medical use (e.g. endoscopes) and microscopes.
                          Thanks! $85 is very do-able for me to take a risk, but I wasn't able yet to find anything under $165. I'll keep looking.

                          BTW, a lot of these places say works with E3 or with E5 and they don't mention E1. If something fits an E3 or an E5, will it automatically also fit an E1... or not necessarily?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Seeking advice with E1

                            Originally posted by JewelryPhotos View Post
                            Thanks! $85 is very do-able for me to take a risk, but I wasn't able yet to find anything under $165. I'll keep looking.

                            BTW, a lot of these places say works with E3 or with E5 and they don't mention E1. If something fits an E3 or an E5, will it automatically also fit an E1... or not necessarily?
                            Yes, the cameras all use the FT (Four-Thirds) system lenses. The E1 doesn't get mentioned much as it is the earliest of the Olympus FT cameras and has been out of production the longest. I have an E-1 myself and it still works like a champ.

                            By the way, this site has a large amount of information on the cameras and lenses in the Wiki (look under the "Knowledge" tab at the top :-)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Seeking advice with E1

                              Originally posted by mhobart View Post
                              Yes, the cameras all use the FT (Four-Thirds) system lenses. The E1 doesn't get mentioned much as it is the earliest of the Olympus FT cameras and has been out of production the longest. I have an E-1 myself and it still works like a champ.

                              By the way, this site has a large amount of information on the cameras and lenses in the Wiki (look under the "Knowledge" tab at the top :-)
                              Thanks! I appreciate all the help. I know it must be tedious dealing with people who know so very little and seem lost, but I'm really grateful for your help.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X