Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4/3 system can use a wide sensor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

    my inquiring is about full frame camera.can E SYSTEM FROM OLY DO IT

  • #2
    Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

    Originally posted by zmohie View Post
    my inquiring is about full frame camera.can E SYSTEM FROM OLY DO IT
    Technically, Four Thirds is a 'full frame' platform as most of the lenses are designed specifically for the system sensor size, so there is no artificial cropping.

    But if you mean, can Four Thirds cameras implement a sensor with the area of a 135 format film frame?, the answer is no and there is no avenue in the system for accommodating this.

    Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

      Thanks Ian

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

        IS THAT MEANS 4/3 SYSTEM CANT implement CAMERA IN 12 MP

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

          Originally posted by zmohie View Post
          IS THAT MEANS 4/3 SYSTEM CANT implement CAMERA IN 12 MP
          It's theoretically possible to create a Four Thirds sensor with 60 megapixels. You only need to use the pixel pitch of the existing 12 megapixel sensors being used in compact point and shoot digital cameras.

          Ian
          Founder/editor
          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

            Does it matter? I can make nice A3 prints from my old 4MP Panny LZ10. The practical difference between 10 and 12 MP is negligible, and the higher the MP count the more issues with diffraction, which softens the image at smaller apertures.

            No doubt there will be 12MP 4/3 cameras released in the next iteration, but personally, I'd prefer they put their efforts into improving current sensor performance rather than trying to squeeze more pointless pixels in.

            I know there might be a marketing push for this which makes me wonder, could they release two versions of a camera - one with a slightly lower res but better performing sensor, and one that satisfies the marketers and consumers infatuated with more MP.
            Alex

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

              Originally posted by Xenophos View Post
              Does it matter? I can make nice A3 prints from my old 4MP Panny LZ10. The practical difference between 10 and 12 MP is negligible, and the higher the MP count the more issues with diffraction, which softens the image at smaller apertures.

              No doubt there will be 12MP 4/3 cameras released in the next iteration, but personally, I'd prefer they put their efforts into improving current sensor performance rather than trying to squeeze more pointless pixels in.

              I know there might be a marketing push for this which makes me wonder, could they release two versions of a camera - one with a slightly lower res but better performing sensor, and one that satisfies the marketers and consumers infatuated with more MP.
              I completely agree. The answer was simply to demonstrate that pixels aren't difficult to add, though I should have added that there would be a cost in terms of image quality.

              Ian
              Founder/editor
              Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
              Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
              Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
              Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

                If as expected more manufacturers jump on the FX/Full Frame bandwagon and the mp count rises accordingly then the pressure for 4/3rds sized cameras to keep in line regarding pixel count may well be reduced as the difference will be immense. At that point rather than trying to keep up Olympus can channel their energy into building on their own strengths and improving on the sensor perform ace. I'm sure that as technology moves forward they will be able to increase pixel count but they may do so only when there are no negative side effects.

                Richard

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

                  Yeah, I don't think there is any mileage in Olympus trying to be Canon or Nikon.

                  Oly already got some advantages (light, small and super quality lenses thanks to telecentric design, thanks in turn to size and ratio of the sensor; live view and dust problem solved; good prices). And olys are really well screwed together: if the insides of my dslr are as well put together as the outside, it should run for years. As for pixels: once you're past 5-7 pixels, its probably the lens thats most important.

                  Oly should work on IS, autofocus, and especially Dynamic Range. And out of those, only a break-through on DR would get me to trade in my current oly for a new model.

                  My bet is CanoNikon will go to 12 mp with their APC sized sensor soon (and sell them with a kit lens that would make my cheap oly 17.5-45 look like a star performer). You're welcome!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

                    Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
                    Yeah, I don't think there is any mileage in Olympus trying to be Canon or Nikon.

                    Oly already got some advantages (light, small and super quality lenses thanks to telecentric design, thanks in turn to size and ratio of the sensor; live view and dust problem solved; good prices). And olys are really well screwed together: if the insides of my dslr are as well put together as the outside, it should run for years. As for pixels: once you're past 5-7 pixels, its probably the lens thats most important.

                    Oly should work on IS, autofocus, and especially Dynamic Range. And out of those, only a break-through on DR would get me to trade in my current oly for a new model.

                    My bet is CanoNikon will go to 12 mp with their APC sized sensor soon (and sell them with a kit lens that would make my cheap oly 17.5-45 look like a star performer). You're welcome!
                    Nikon has already gone to 12MP with the D300. Canon has kind of recognised the shortcomings of its 18-55 kit lens by deciding not to bundle it with the 40D.

                    Ian
                    Founder/editor
                    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
                    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

                      I agree with Alex, the difference at A4 between my old E20 and my E410 is negligible. The only advantage of !0 Mpixel is the ability to crop harder. How ever if 5Mpixel cameras are used in a similar way to the older transparency film techniques there should be minimum problems.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

                        IF it is not advantage then why sony,canon.nikon jump on 12 mp and more

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

                          If it is not advantage then why canon,nikon and sony jump on 12 mp and more

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

                            The difference between a 4/3rds sensor at 10mp and an APS-C Nikon 12mp sensor when the image is printed at a native resolution of 300dpi is,

                            10mp 4/3rds = 308.9mm x 231.6mm

                            12mp APS-C = 361.4mm x 241.1mm

                            In other words 2 extra mp gives you print that is 52.5mm wider and 9.5mm higher. It won't make much difference in reality but it will make a big difference on the spec sheet to people who like to compare spec rather than take pictures.
                            Last edited by Iloca; 16th September 2007, 11:32 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 4/3 system can use a wide sensor

                              what about 12mp 4/3rds and 12mp APS-C is it equal same size in print

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X