Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The big Olympus E-System wish list!

Hi,
    I have been away for a while - so let me just know if some of you know more than me: Olympus DSLR only 4/3 is now definitively dead? In 2010 I spent quite some money on some pro-lenses for my E520, only to discover soon after that the system had died (possibly).

I could be tempted by the new cool micro-4/3 series. But I'm reluctant to go into another Olympus system, as you never know if they suddenly drop out, as they also did with the OM-system back in the 90'es.

BR,
    Anders

Comment

DSLR line ends with the E-5, only current model fully supporting phase-detection (all 4/3 lenses via an adapter) is E-M1.

IMO you can get some nice combo of body and lenses even without spending loads of money on it, so even if they would drop it one day, which is kinda hard to think of now, it won't hurt you.
      Of course it depends on what you shoot and what lenses you own already, would be pain to try to use 300/2.8 for sports on PEN, etc.
      Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
      M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Comment

Thank you for your reply. This confirms my thoughts.
        I just love my fast 11-22, 14-54 and 50-200 mm lenses, so it will anyway be expensive going into something similar in another system. I do not buy a new Olympus system. So I will have to see what the other brands have. In the meantime, I will look for a secondhand e-620 as a backup for my e-520.
        BR
        Anders

Comment

Originally posted by Anders Nielsen View Post
          I just love my fast 11-22, 14-54 and 50-200 mm lenses, so it will anyway be expensive going into something similar in another system. I do not buy a new Olympus system. So I will have to see what the other brands have. In the meantime, I will look for a secondhand e-620 as a backup for my e-520.
          BR
          Anders
          The OM-D E-M1 model with the MMF-3 adapter will handle those lenses very nicely (& even better with the HLD-7 grip) & if you are looking at another system, then that is also possible with this as you may want M4/3's lenses to add to the kit.
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Originally posted by Anders Nielsen View Post
            BR
            Anders
            If you don't think an E-M1 is a viable option I would suggest getting an E-5; they aren't too expensive second hand any more.

Ian
            Founder/editor
            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Hi,
              Thank you for the tip with the E-M1. I have read a few reviews where it has been used with the old 4/3 lenses. Not especially positive reading regarding the AF department. But I have no doubt, that the sensor is significantly better now than in 2010 when E5 was launched.

And thank you also for the tip regarding secondhand E5. I have also found some nice E30 for sale - so I will get one of those. The E-M1 is not a proper "E7" imo.

BR
              Anders

Comment

I landed a great deal on an E-5 a few years back. Never really liked it. It seemed to have low-ISO noise that was very annoying. I actually preferred my E-3 which I still have, unloaded the e-5 after switching mainly to Nikon. d still love my E-3 I and use it from time to time, including on apaid gig recently
                ~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF | Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 | 70-200 f/2.8 G2 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art | 500mm f/4 Sport

Panasonic GX8 | GF3 | 20 f/1.7 II | 12-35 f/2.8

Comment

With one of these OPCs there is the opportunity to have exactly what you want.

http://www.olympus-global.com/en/new...150205opce.jsp
                  Graham

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to

Comment

Working...
                  X