This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PMA 09 interview with Olympus Akira Watanabe

Good answer! And if a manufacturer would please someone who is very hard to make happy, they should at least cover a good chunk of their less hard to please audience/customers.
    ~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF | Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 | 70-200 f/2.8 G2 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art | 500mm f/4 Sport

Panasonic GX8 | GF3 | 20 f/1.7 II | 12-35 f/2.8

Comment

either that or end up building the biggest most button covered camera ever!
      All the best,
      Phil

www.stickmanphotography.co.uk | www.customcreative.co.uk

Comment

not for me I'm a minimalist in that regard !

Comment

Originally posted by ReggieB View Post
          I think that everyone in here is ignoring completely the root of the xD problem. Oly should NOT still be putting SD slots in their P&S cameras EITHER. The tech is just as old and outdated in a P&S as it is in an SLR, and I think that there are more customers who see this than you think.
          I don't think they consider it, actually. They buy a camera based on how many megapixels it has (and more is better, of course!) and what ever memory it takes, it takes, and they probably figure that it'll be just as fast as what ever memory the other cameras take.

For the record, though, when I say SD I'm merely talking about the SD line of cards. Of course it's all about SDHC these days.
          Signatures have become gear lists?
          Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-P1 | ZD 70-300mm | ZD 50mm f/2.0 Macro | EX-25 | ZD 12-60mm SWD | Leica D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50-500mm | Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro | Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/1.4 | FL-50R

Comment

Originally posted by thestickman View Post
            WE don't. But I think it is more relevant is the perceived cost to those coming from P&S, who are likely less camera savvy.
            It makes an easier sell to say, "and if you go from your Oly P&S to an Oly DSLR instead of another brand you don't even have to worry about buying new memory cards...". We know it makes little difference and memory is cheap, but I think it plays a bigger part in the attitude of less informed buyers.
            Actually just week ago I have witnessed another possible explanation for xD in E-3* at Weitsicht 2009 in Darmstadt.

One guy at Olympus stand was checking out E-30 and was pretty happy about it. (It seems people are really really really excited about the articulated LCD + LV combo) He wanted to make some test shots, but he couldn't - because there was no spare CF/xD card. He had some P&S which uses SD card and E-30 obviously isn't taking SD.

Now if you would imaging that the guy had Oly's P&S with him, his hands-on with E-30 (which accepts xD too) would went much much smoother.

Originally posted by thestickman View Post
            I think the long term hope is to get Oly to drop XD from the P&S line to remove this marketing concern.
            I'd say, after keeping xD afloat for that long, Oly now has no choice but to support all three of them: CF, SDHC and xD.

Comment

Originally posted by Dummy00001 View Post
              Actually just week ago I have witnessed another possible explanation for xD in E-3* at Weitsicht 2009 in Darmstadt.

One guy at Olympus stand was checking out E-30 and was pretty happy about it. (It seems people are really really really excited about the articulated LCD + LV combo) He wanted to make some test shots, but he couldn't - because there was no spare CF/xD card. He had some P&S which uses SD card and E-30 obviously isn't taking SD.

Now if you would imaging that the guy had Oly's P&S with him, his hands-on with E-30 (which accepts xD too) would went much much smoother.
              I re-read this a few times, but I have to reply and ask: how does this show an explanation for having the xD slot? If anything, if the E-30 accepted SD cards with an adapter, the guy could have tried it out. That would have been a win on Olympus' part. Why should Olympus solely be catering to their P&S users; wouldn't it make more sense for them to cater to those users and users of other P&S systems? With an SD -> xD adapter they could do just that, and nearly effortlessly!

Additionally, the fact is that on many of Olympus' newer P&S cameras, the MASD-1 adapter (an SD -> xD adapter) is being included. Those cameras have a specially keyed xD slot such that the MASD-1 can't be used in other xD slots (not that it'd work unless the camera's firmware supported it, anyway). However, it means that in the future, there will be Olympus P&S users who never owned an xD card, and they'll be looking to upgrade. It'd probably seem totally backwards to those people to look into the E-System cameras and see that, while they gain the ability to use CF cards, they can't even use the miniSD (microSD?) cards that their P&S cameras were capable of. And it's a fact that xD is inferior to SD, miniSD, and probably even microSD in terms of speed and price/capacity ratio.

Originally posted by Dummy00001 View Post
              I'd say, after keeping xD afloat for that long, Oly now has no choice but to support all three of them: CF, SDHC and xD.
              I disagree that xD is being kept afloat. Development on it has seemingly stopped, and based on the Olympus Emporium (Olympus' own store) it seems as if xD cards are barely even being manufactured. If Olympus has a good sales team, they'll be transitioning away from xD and toward miniSD or microSD. Given what they're doing with their P&S line and the MASD-1 adapter, it seems as if they're doing just that... just very slowly, and while neglecting their higher-end system.
              Signatures have become gear lists?
              Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-P1 | ZD 70-300mm | ZD 50mm f/2.0 Macro | EX-25 | ZD 12-60mm SWD | Leica D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50-500mm | Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro | Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/1.4 | FL-50R

Comment

Originally posted by Ledgem View Post
                I re-read this a few times, but I have to reply and ask: how does this show an explanation for having the xD slot? If anything, if the E-30 accepted SD cards with an adapter, the guy could have tried it out. That would have been a win on Olympus' part. Why should Olympus solely be catering to their P&S users; wouldn't it make more sense for them to cater to those users and users of other P&S systems? With an SD -> xD adapter they could do just that, and nearly effortlessly!
                I see. It seems that I worked too long in business. This is one of the things that at first (when I only started working) also rubbed me wrong way. Apparently not anymore.

Essentially, as Olympus business concerned, SD card doesn't exist. Many traditional business operate this way: we have "xD card" (or whatever business has to sell) and we sell it. Rest is plain competition and they try hard to compete.

You would be surprised to see how many business see the *lack* of interoperability as advantage. And it takes a long time for business to make a turn and accept that there is a better option for their customers on market.

Originally posted by Ledgem View Post
                I disagree that xD is being kept afloat. Development on it has seemingly stopped, and based on the Olympus Emporium (Olympus' own store) it seems as if xD cards are barely even being manufactured. If Olympus has a good sales team, they'll be transitioning away from xD and toward miniSD or microSD. Given what they're doing with their P&S line and the MASD-1 adapter, it seems as if they're doing just that... just very slowly, and while neglecting their higher-end system.
                I guess that they started transition, but still there is a communication gap between their design/development (who make cameras with xD slot) and sales/business units (which actually communicate with consumers and allowed to make such decision as out-sourced development/inclusion of MASD-1 adapter).

As I have mentioned above, development branch of Olympus (like many other R&Ds which traditionally quite isolated from rest of company) lives in separate universe were xD is only flash format. So they put it anywhere they deem needed. As their business strategy obviously have the upgrade path from P&S to dSLR, they simply include the xD slot - without much thinking. (R&Ds rarely have enough information to make a thoughtful decision here.)

After all, my E-520 has the xD. Worse - E-520/Olympus Master can make panorama shots, yet the function is limited only to "special" xD cards. This is precisely what happens in companies where R&D and sales are more like enemies, than departments of same company.

And it is "business as usual". I easily recognize the pattern. I'm software developer (R&Ds are my workplace for past 15y) and have been under the cross fire between R&Ds and sales not once. I worked in at least three applications fields and it is everywhere like that. Sad but true.

All what we as users can do is to remind Olympus that we want to have SDHC card slot in our cameras - and that affects our buying decisions. Increased pressure from consumers gives a chance to sales to make a stronger argument for the change when next camera designs are going to be agreed inside the company.

Comment

Note that even Sony is making the transition to SD now (the new A230/330/380 are SD based) and they were the last maker other than Oly still doing proprietary formats.

The best solution in the interim is likely the Fuji dual-spec xD/SD slots that can take either option, giving an upgrade path for xD users as well as an SD option.

The rest of the market is now SD at the consumer DSLR level and at the P&S level (aside from Sony which still makes memory-stick based P&S's). SD won and Olympus's continuing reliance on the xD/CF duo reduces competitiveness and also increases the size of the cameras (all of the E-series consumer bodies are noticably wider than the SD-based competition due primarily to the CF slot)

Comment

Originally posted by mawz View Post
                    The rest of the market is now SD at the consumer DSLR level and at the P&S level (aside from Sony which still makes memory-stick based P&S's). SD won and Olympus's continuing reliance on the xD/CF duo reduces competitiveness and also increases the size of the cameras (all of the E-series consumer bodies are noticably wider than the SD-based competition due primarily to the CF slot)
                    I disagree. How does using the professional CF format in entry-level DSLRs reduce competitiveness? I can't see how size is affected either when you have an SLR body which requires a mirror box and needs to hold onto heavy interchangeable lenses.

The use of SD on entry-level SLRs only shows that the manufacturer doesn't care enough about that line or doesn't consider them to be viable alternatives to professional SLRs. I would be pissed if my E-5xx or E-4xx came with only an SD slot and no CF. Olympus' use of CF in every body down to the cheapest budget SLR shows a commitment to quality at all levels, and that they value their entry-level bodies as serious competitors in the field of photography, not some throw away for those who can't afford a professional camera.

When I see only an SD slot in an entry level SLR, my first thought (whether true or not) is that the maker doesn't take this camera seriously and only intends it for amateur use.

As far as Point-and-Shoots which don't take CF... Well, I certainly agree that the XD should be replaced with SD. Point-and-Shoots are known for proprietary formats though (ie, like the memory stick), and don't use standards like CF in professional photography. Of course, I guess this is why the MASD micro-SD to XD adapter was developed only for P&S... The Olympus point-and-shoots will probably all go to SD soon enough, but please don't try to stick my DSLR with an SD slot!!
                    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Working...
                    X