Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CF or xD card?

hi folks

Any thoughts on the best memory card (size/speed/type etc) for a new e420. can an xd and CF card be used at the same time? I use CF cards with my compact but xD is new to me. any benefits from these?

thanks

tom

Re: CF or xD card?

I've never found any benefits from using xD cards so don't bother. As far as i can see the only use would be if you wanted to use both slots. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.

Comment

Main benefit of having both cards installed would be if you ran out of CF, think of it as a handy backup, always in the camera. Other than that, xD cards are expensive, slow, not as easy to find etc. etc.
      Could be a life saver in some circumstances, only you can decide if beneficial.
      Welcome to Fourthirdsuser by the way, post some pickies when you get the chance, you will ONLY get constructive feedback here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post
        I've never found any benefits from using xD cards so don't bother. As far as i can see the only use would be if you wanted to use both slots. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong.
        I believe that there is a panorama function that is only available with Olympus brand xD cards - I have not yet used it and otherwise I agree with Bear

Roger

Comment

Agree with all that's been said...definitely slower than molasses in February. With that said if you don't want to carry a second CF card you can keep the xD card in the camera at all times for additional capacity.

There is the panorama SCENE mode, but it's pretty useless and they haven't improved it since they had it way back on the C-700.

A decent CF card to get is the Sandisk Extreme III or faster. Just don't buy CF cards on eBay as 95% of all high-end cards sold there are counterfeit.

Comment

The Olympus xD M+ speed is probably equal 100X of the CF but cost twice as much. I have one in my E-3 as a backup or use it in a short shooting project, and do not want to wear out the CF socket from constant inserting and removing. As stated panorama use is the only advantage only if using Olympus brand xD. You have to set the E-420 to Panorama mode and take pictures at landscape frame only; Vertical frames will not work in Olympus Photo Master or Studio. If you do not use panorama mode, it is just a waist of money...
            E-M1/E-5 / E-500 / OM-1n / FL-50 / OM 50-250 / OM 50 1.8 / 12-60 / 18-180 / 70-300 / 50-200 SWD / EX25 / EC20

Comment

I keep a 1Gb xD in the camera for emergencies only - just like having an internal RAM in the camera really (but vastly slower!). It has got me out of trouble a couple of times. It would have been nice if Oly could have used them both (ie simultaneous write to the CF and xD - RAW to CF and JPEG to xD for example). Another of those "nice to haves" they've never included.

I agree with the others about the "panorama mode". You're much better off doing your own thing and stitching together in 3rd party software written for the purpose.
              Hugh of Bardfield
              Essex, UK
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/hughofbardfield/
              http://hughweller-lewisphotography.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have both a 4GB CF and 2GB XD M2 Oly card in my E510. Both store photos, both work and both do the job they were bought for so as to advantage I see none for me save the panoramic mode I haven't used yet.

The image quality is not lower when using one card over the other so for me they work well.

I guess it depends on what type of photography you are into. I take a fair few minutes framing and setting up my picture before taking it so speed is never an issue.
                Olympus E-510, 14-42mm, 40-150mm and 35mm Macro

Comment

Originally posted by mikefellh View Post
                  There is the panorama SCENE mode, but it's pretty useless and they haven't improved it since they had it way back on the C-700.
                  I'm interested to hear that as our camera club has a panorama competition this month and I initially assumed I could do it in Olympus Master then found it was XD cards only. I toyed with the idea of buying a XD card but eventually used a freeware program to do the stitching (from 3 film negs as it happened)

Comment

Panorama function and some other stuff you can download for the Oly Master. you need the serial number to enable it.

I would not bother with that xD chip..it's more expensive and much slower than the CF chip.
                    My humble Photos

Comment

I bought a 2GB XD card for just over a tenner from 7dayshop. I don't think they're too expensive.
                      Olympus E-510, 14-42mm, 40-150mm and 35mm Macro

Comment

Cheap XD cards work but they can be slow the Olympus card isnt particularly fast .
                        I switched to a fast CF as the delays in writing to the XD gave me problems with sports photography .

Comment

Good to have an xD card in as a backup, but I agree, I wouldn't use one as my main card.
                          Stephen - www.flickr.com/photos/argyllphotos
                          Olympus OM-D E-M1, E-M5, Zenza Bronica, and an ever-changing nest of lenses

Comment

thanks to all for the advice. seems that if it's one or the other the CF wins hands down. On th other hand if the xd slot is lying empty it might be worth buying an xd later as backup

tom

Comment

Yup! you got it in a nutshell

Comment

Working...
                              X