• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime lens vs Aspherical Lens

Hi guys,

Can you advice me which lens should I choose:
    1. Olympus Zuiko 25mm F/2.8
    2. Olympus Zuiko 14-54mm F/2.8

Meanwhile, I already have Olympus M.Zuiko 14-42mm F/3.5 which have lower diaphragm, tried to get bigger diaphragm like F/1.4, but the price still don't match with my wallet

Please advice

Re: Prime lens vs Aspherical Lens

Hi, what camera do you have?
    The 25 is a handy pancake, but the zoom is universal and excellent performer for what you can get it now. Be advised, that if you have a Micro Four-Thirds camera, you will also need an adapter for any of these lenses to make it work, as these are 4/3 (DSLR) lenses.
    Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
    M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Comment

Originally posted by T-Lama View Post
      Hi, what camera do you have?
      The 25 is a handy pancake, but the zoom is universal and excellent performer for what you can get it now. Be advised, that if you have a Micro Four-Thirds camera, you will also need an adapter for any of these lenses to make it work, as these are 4/3 (DSLR) lenses.

Hi T-Lama

I'm using micro 4/3 system (Olympus E PL-1 and OMD EM5), and having 2 sets of 14-42mm F/3.5 and 40-150mm F/4.0 lenses.
      (Also I have manual Minolta MD 50mm F/1.4 that created quite nice bokeh)

I found out bigger diaphragm make me easier to get the object with low light, but understand the price of Olympus lens with bigger F still out of my wallet

Yes, I will need adapter from 4/3 to micro 4/3

But, can I get better picture 14-54mm F/2.8 (hopefully bokeh) compare with 25mm F/2.8. Seems both are the same F/2.8

Comment

You need to check the 14-54. As I recall the Mk I isn't optimised for CD autofocus, whereas the Mk II is. Have you thought about the Sigma lenses - 19, 30, 60. They are all f2.8, sharp and have a common filter thread. For around the price of the 14-54, you could get a s/h Panasonic 20 f1.7 which is a stunning lens.

I use the following with my EP-1 - Panasonic 14 f2.8; Panasonic 20 f1.7; Sigma 60 f2.8. It makes a really light bag to carry around! However I also use E-3 with 9-18; 14-54 Mk I; 70-300.

Jack

Comment

14-54 is about 1/3 EV slower at 25mm (f/3.1) . First version of the lens is not optimised for CDAF, but from my experience with E-M5, the focus is just a little slower, but not unreliable.
          Never did bokeh comparison between those two, but 14-54's is generally very good and 25's should not be bad either.

You may also want to check prices of M.Zuiko 25/1.8, which is kinda new and quite reasonably priced. It can be a better choice than 25/2.8, if you decide to go for a prime.
          Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
          M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Comment

Originally posted by jackknill View Post
            You need to check the 14-54. As I recall the Mk I isn't optimised for CD autofocus, whereas the Mk II is. Have you thought about the Sigma lenses - 19, 30, 60. They are all f2.8, sharp and have a common filter thread. For around the price of the 14-54, you could get a s/h Panasonic 20 f1.7 which is a stunning lens.

I use the following with my EP-1 - Panasonic 14 f2.8; Panasonic 20 f1.7; Sigma 60 f2.8. It makes a really light bag to carry around! However I also use E-3 with 9-18; 14-54 Mk I; 70-300.

Jack
            Hi Jack

Thanks for your advice, its helpful
            I will give a try with 19mm F/2.8 Sigma EX DN M3/4
            From your information above that you do have 3 prime lenses (14 f2.8; 20 f1.7 and Sigma 60 f2.8) instead of having single 14-54mm f2.8 aspherical lens, seems like prime lens gives you best result, isn't it ? (even they are having the same f2.8)

Regards
            wirawan

Comment

Hi Wirawan,

Yes they are all primes. The two panasonic are pancakes, and I find it makes for a very portable system. The Sigma 60 also doubles as a macro when coupled with auto extension tubes. As they all take 46mm filters, I only need the one set, which saves a little! Apart from the Sigma, the others were bought second hand.

Jack

Comment

Working...
              X