Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Four Thirds lens compatibility - what's your preference?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Four Thirds lens compatibility - what's your preference?

As we all know, although it is perfectly feasible to use Four Thirds lenses via an MMF adapter on a Micro Four Thirds camera, most Four Thirds lenses are designed to autofocus with phase-detection focus sensors that are central to contemporary DSLR cameras. This means autofocus is not ideal when Four Thirds lenses are used with Micro Four Thirds cameras, which employ contrast detection to gauge focus automatically.

Olympus has publicly stated that before the end of this year a solution for Four Thirds lens users will be revealed. Apart from that there are no firm details, but several realistic possibilities.

So this is a poll to find out which possible solution you prefer. You can only select one choice.

Thanks,

Ian
    Conventional DSLR - an update to an existing model like the E-5.
    36.07%
    A Four Thirds mount camera body with an electronic viewfinder.
    9.84%
    A Sony NEX-style smart adapter providing Phase Detect AF for Micro Four Thirds bodies.
    13.11%
    A Micro Four Thirds body with a built-in solution for optimal FT lens AF using adapter.
    36.07%
    None of the above.
    4.92%

The poll is expired.

Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Re: Four Thirds lens compatibility - what's your preference?

I would choose DSLR with optional built-in EVF, that can use both 4/3s and m4/3s lenses. It can be done, but the contruction would be quite complex and thus expensive. If I can't have that, I am going for a (large) m4/3 body with good ergonomy and C-AF at least on E-1 level, or even better with full scene tracking.
    Regards, Pavel.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
    M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

Comment

Having fairly recently bought into MFT (via OM-D) I chose option 3. I have the Olympus 12-60 and 50-200 SWD lenses which I'd like to use with the OM-D but the focus performance is less than ideal, certainly compared to my E-620. An adaptor which improves that functionality on my OM-D would be of much more interest to me than a new MFT body. Something like an MMF-4 with PDAF built in.
      Regards
      Richard

Comment

It's hard to pick a good answer here, because as always the devil is in the detail. having both "big" and micro-4/3rds bodies I'm not too fused about which format it is. A good optical viewfinder is nice but the electronic ones are quite good (E-M5) and still improving (E-P5 and VF-4 allegedly) and offer extra functionality.

I think what I'm after is a way to use those wonderful big fast 4/3rds lenses without compromising key aspects of their function - specifically image quality, speed (in light-gathering terms - so don't throw any of the light away in a focussing subsystem), weatherproofing - and hopefully improved AF performance. It would be nice if it could be crammed into an adapter for existing m43 bodies but I suspect that is a tall order.

Because of where we are now you will never please everybody!

Ciao ... John

Comment

Personally having no m4/3 I would like a new body similar to the E-5 as I think the balance with lens such as 90-250 will be better.

Comment

I would like to see a DSLR with an optical mirror for the high end (E-3/E-5 size is okay with me), and a 43 mirrorless camera that is about the size of a E-5XX for the lower end. I think that these two options for 43 users would be reasonable, given that there have been so many variations on the Pen line.
            Dan Lang

Comment

The NEX style adaptor would be the best solution for me, having already got the E-M5 and being on a budget. However, I voted for option four, "A Micro Four Thirds body with a built-in solution for optimal FT lens AF using adapter" because I feel this is the best solution for the system in the long run and would be a very strong selling point for future cameras. Maybe Olympus could eventually do both, so that existing MFT cameras benefit from
              compatability of 4/3 lenses too. Now THAT would be the best solution!
              View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

Originally posted by DNC13 View Post
                Personally having no m4/3 I would like a new body similar to the E-5 as I think the balance with lens such as 90-250 will be better.
                I think that the balance would be better with an E-7(?), but how many people have these SHG beasts?
                I can't see it happening.
                Dave
                Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
                Olympus UKPSG Member
                Chairman Cwmbran Photographic Society

Comment

Originally posted by John Perriment View Post
                  The NEX style adaptor would be the best solution for me, having already got the E-M5 and being on a budget. However, I voted for option four, "A Micro Four Thirds body with a built-in solution for optimal FT lens AF using adapter" because I feel this is the best solution for the system in the long run and would be a very strong selling point for future cameras. Maybe Olympus could eventually do both, so that existing MFT cameras benefit from
                  I cannot see how Oly could implement Option 4 given the two mounts are different.
                  Dave
                  Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
                  Olympus UKPSG Member
                  Chairman Cwmbran Photographic Society

Comment

Originally posted by benvendetta View Post
                    I cannot see how Oly could implement Option 4 given the two mounts are different.
                    The key in the text is 'using adapters' - like the existing MMF series of adapters that allow Four Thirds lenses to be fitted to Micro Four Thirds camera bodies.

Ian
                    Founder/editor
                    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
                    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by John Perriment View Post
                      I agree--an integrated solution (option 4) is the best choice in the long term, so it's my choice as well. It obviously wouldn't help with my E-M5, and I may not buy a new camera right away, but I undoubtedly will buy a new camera at some time in the future. I'm convinced that mirrorless is the way all cameras are headed, so a solution that works in-body without the need for an added mirror gets my vote. Remember that there is no law requiring mirrorless cameras to be tiny. It's entirely possible to make an E-5-size body with an MFT mount, for example. And I love the "modular" approach of the E-M5 (small body with larger accessory grips).

I hate the idea of an NEX-style adapter, which is large, expensive, and fragile because of delicate moving parts. A traditional SLR is a nice idea, but I can't see it being a reasonable choice for Olympus because the market is so small. It also does nothing for MFT users who want to use their 4/3 lenses.

- Hal -
                      A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
                      Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

Honestly, right at the moment I don't care, my HG and SHG glass is sitting idle these days, I've gone back to manual focus primes. I'm actually considering a couple of Canon bodies to use them on knowing I have my ZD glass if I need zooms.
                        It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

Comment

This would have been a great question in January 2011. I don’t think there is much that could be said today that would change whatever Olympus has researched, planned, and is implementing.

I divested myself of most of my 4/3 gear so I have zero percent interest in a dSLR replacement for the E-5, a 4/3 mount camera body with an EVF, a new Olympus body costing more than US $1,000.00, or a camera body much larger than the EM-5.

I might consider a Sony NEX style adapter if it has outstanding performance and durability as it would add to the modular nature of the EM-5.
                          Clint

OM-D EM-1 | Panasonic 7-14mm | Olympus 12-40mm | Panasonic 35-100mm | Olympus 50-200mm | Panasonic 25mm | Olympus 45mm

Comment

Another possibility came to me while on a small hike yesterday. Option 4 is still my choice as the best approach, but here's another that I don't recall hearing mentioned before: a lens motor retrofit.

What if Olympus could create stepper motors (or whatever works best for contrast detection AF systems) that would be drop-in replacements for the motors in the HG and SHG lenses (i.e. they would fit within the physical space and could interface with the focusing mechanism). They could offer a service to replace the original motors with the new motors. The retrofitted lenses probably wouldn't work as well on SLRs, but for people who are switching to MFT, that wouldn't be any problem.

I could see paying, say, $150 for each lens to have the motors replaced. Two or three motor retrofits would cost less than an NEX-style adapter and provide excellent AF performance without any size or weight penalty.

- Hal -
                            A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
                            Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

My preference is for a proper SLR camera because an optical viewfinder is still the only option for motorsports. Maybe when the EVF's can run at ~4 times the high-speed rate of the E-M5 (but with the quality of the low-speed setting ) I'll be persuaded that an EVF is an all round replacement. Until that time I will use my E3's for motorsports and the E-M5 for everything else.

Incidentally, poor AF speed (of 4/3 lenses on m4/3) is not a problem for me as I use a lot of manual focus lenses so tend to pre-focus anyway (and let's face it, AF speed of the Oly DSLRs was always pretty crap anyway).

Mark
                              E-M5 | E-M1 | mZD 9-18 | mZD 12-40 | mZD 12-50 | mZD 40-140 | mZD 75-300 | mZD 45 f1.8 | Panasonic-m 14 f2.5 | Panasonic-m 20 f1.7 | Panasonic-m 25mm f1.4 |

E3 | ZD 14-54 Mk1 | ZD 50-200SWD | ZD 35 Macro | Panaleica 25mm | Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro |

Comment

Working...
                              X