Glad you made it home Ian, I was routing for you
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied
    Re: A couple of interesting Lumix G1 samples for you

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Hi Bob, am on my way home now - though my flight got canceled last night

I will definitely do some high ISO prints when I get home, assuming the train doesn't suffer gremlins too!

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Barr1e
    replied

Hi Ian -

You will have to let the brain settle after assimilating so much information.
    (Where's the pix :\ )

Thanks to you and the team for keeping us so well informed.

Regards. Barr1e
    Last edited by Barr1e; 26th September 2008, 08:22 AM. Reason: corrected

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Hi Ian,
    One of things that would be fun to know is how a ISO3200 image prints out or what noise shows up in a print. Do you thing some of those folk at the Epson, HP or Canon printer stands would be willing to show you how good their printers do using one of the G1 images? You can't share large files, but your comments on a print (out of the camera) would be valuable.
    Bob
    Hi Bob, am on my way home now - though my flight got canceled last night

I will definitely do some high ISO prints when I get home, assuming the train doesn't suffer gremlins too!

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Bob Ross
    replied

Hi Ian,
    One of things that would be fun to know is how a ISO3200 image prints out or what noise shows up in a print. Do you thing some of those folk at the Epson, HP or Canon printer stands would be willing to show you how good their printers do using one of the G1 images? You can't share large files, but your comments on a print (out of the camera) would be valuable.
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• Iloca
    replied

Originally posted by Ian View Post
    Well, I can see the full resolution JPEGs here and they are definitely cleaner in the dark areas than before - it's a big step forward, believe me. And these are from JPEGs - the RAW files, which I can't yet open, promise even more.

Ian
    Well thats good news, it's simply that I recall seeing high ISO shots from the E-3 at launch and they looked very good indeed, it was only when shots were taken in much lower ligh that the problems appeared.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by dazedgonebye View Post
    Very encouraging shots.
    Now if Oly can come out with a body more to my liking and maybe another prime or two...I'll be sold.
    Even without Oly, I may end up with m4/3.
    A mock up of a new E-System body inbetween the E-3 and E-520 was shown to journalists just a short while ago. A story with pictures, like this one, will be up on this site and DPNow.com shortly:

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by Iloca View Post
    The images are fine but say very little, it's dark low light shots that'll indicate how good the performance is. High ISO performance is one thing Low light is a very different kettle of fish.
    Well, I can see the full resolution JPEGs here and they are definitely cleaner in the dark areas than before - it's a big step forward, believe me. And these are from JPEGs - the RAW files, which I can't yet open, promise even more.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Iloca
    replied

The images are fine but say very little, it's dark low light shots that'll indicate how good the performance is. High ISO performance is one thing Low light is a very different kettle of fish.

Leave a comment:

• Bear
    replied

This all looks almost too exciting. I am am still not keen on the first offering from Panasonic but the technology inside appears fabulous. When it makes its way into other offerings I can see my self buying.

Leave a comment:

• dazedgonebye
    replied

Very encouraging shots.
    Now if Oly can come out with a body more to my liking and maybe another prime or two...I'll be sold.
    Even without Oly, I may end up with m4/3.

Leave a comment:

• dogberry
    replied

These are exciting times!

Notwithstanding the limitations imposed upon Ian for posting these G1 images, they do look very promising indeed. I have to say that seeing these pictures of the G1 in somebody's hands has given me a much greater appreciation for how small this camera really is, in spite of the fact that Panasonic has acknowledged that they could have made it smaller still, but chose to follow a more mainstream body format for their first offering.

Much as I would personally have liked a smaller more rangedfinder-ish kind of style, I cannot say I blame them at all for sticking with a more conventional design, in spite of which, it looks as if they have succeeded in creating a very stylish little camera indeed.

It's exciting that the G1 looks to be shaping up to be a real little gem and it's hopefully just the first in a line of successful concepts that will propel micro Four Thirds to success. I can't wait to read actual reviews and see larger images from production models but Panasonic might have a little photographic revolution on their hands here.

Kudos to them for the G1!

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• John Perriment
    replied

Guess I'll have to organise another Four Thirds Day Out, as soon as samples of the new cameras are available!

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by John Perriment View Post
    Yes, I certainly like what I'm seeing! Now you've used the camera a bit, Ian, how are you getting on with the EVF?
    I personally like the EVF a lot. It's big, bright, and compared to previous EVFs I have used in bridge cameras, it's very sharp and clear as long as you are viewing a scene with normal brightness.

The normal frame rate is 60fps and there is very little detectable lag normally.

The EVF does degrade when it gets darker. First of all the frame rate drops, the lag increases, then noise starts to show up, and finally colour disappears as the Venus Engine image processor struggles to maintain the image integrity. But at these low light levels the you would have through an optical finder would be already pretty murky.

It's great to have dynamic information overlayed - if you choose - or you can have a clear display.

So, overall a big thumbs up from me. The AF is also more responsive than I dared hope.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• John Perriment
    replied

Yes, I certainly like what I'm seeing! Now you've used the camera a bit, Ian, how are you getting on with the EVF?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X