Manual lenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual lenses

It's been a very long time since I have posted or even visited this site, but I find myself having to make some life changes (COPD). I had to shut down my business of building musical instruments, so I have a lot of time on my hands and wish to continue my other passion, photography.
    My last camera body is the EM-5 and it has served me well through the years. My other main camera has been the M8 with that lovely CCD sensor and beautiful Leitz glass. I have managed these years to stay away from improvements in focusing manual glass and my EM-5 is set up with the "cartoon" focus peaking.
    My question is about the models since the EM-5. I had heard that the EM-1 would have a real focus peaking, and would assume the rest of the higher end models would also have that feature.
    Are the camera bodies since the EM-5 equipped with focus peaking? Would the Olympus Pen F likely have it? Does it work?
    Thank you so much for any insights you may be able to lend!

Re: Manual lenses

I'm very sorry to hear of your health condition but hope you can still enjoy life with your cameras. All the models since E-M5 now have Focus Peaking (at least with FW updates) & the E-M1 since FW 4.0 also have 4 colours as well. The PEN-F has the latest Focus Peaking as well.
    The instruction manual can be downloaded here. http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...an_penf_en.pdf
    Found on this page. http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...l/pen.cfm#body
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Thanks Ross!

Comment

More terms I don't know! What is "cartoon" focus peaking? I have an E-M5 and haven't heard anything about this. I assume it's not the "real thing"?

- Hal -
        A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
        Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

I forgot what they called it, but it uses some "art filter" and was some "kinda" focus peaking. Someone dreamed it up with a little thought and shared it at the time. It works fairly well.
          Anyone have the name of that gimmick?

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
            I forgot what they called it, but it uses some "art filter" and was some "kinda" focus peaking. Someone dreamed it up with a little thought and shared it at the time. It works fairly well.
            Anyone have the name of that gimmick?
            I believe it is Key Line art filter that can be used that way. I prefer Magnified View (on the E-M5) if using MF though.
            Ross
            I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
            Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
            Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
            Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
            Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Yea, thanks again Ross, key line was it. I never could decide which was better...I think it depended on the lens FL and subject.

Comment

Hi Hans, sorry to hear of your poor health, I hope you are able to continue enjoying photography.
                View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

Had I known or been told that dust and lacquer fumes were THAT bad, I would have quit years ago. However, as they say, hindsight is 20/20. They just kept telling me that I would know when I had to quit. Little did I know that I would be the best judge of my condition. Last winter I got a cold which lasted months and when I finally recovered (with the aid of some very hefty shots in the backside, I was much worse. Now I have to drag tanks around behind me, but I will still try to get out as much as I can. Exercising is the best thing for me, keeping those lungs working. Good for the arthritis too.
                  Thank you Ross and John for your kind words and wishes.

Comment

Yes, it's easy to do permanent damage to your lungs without realising it. At least you seem to have a positive attitude, determined to still get out, and I'm sure that will help you.
                    View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

John

Comment

Not much choice left John. I do what I can.
                      So, I went to National Camera today as they had 2 Pen F's and brought my trusty 35mm Summicron with Panasonic adapter. Upshot is a couple of the guys there had been fiddling with it all day with a 50 mm Summilux and could not get any focus peaking to work with a "legacy" lens. Then they tried an OMD-EM-5II and EM-1 and could not get it to work with them. I tried it with them and nothing. When you mounted a m4/3 lens, manual focus peaking worked fine. They stuck my Summicron on a Sony and, well, well, focus peaking.
                      Do I not know something or is manual focus peaking only for m4/3 lenses. That would be a shame...

Comment

Originally posted by Hans View Post
                        Not much choice left John. I do what I can.
                        So, I went to National Camera today as they had 2 Pen F's and brought my trusty 35mm Summicron with Panasonic adapter. Upshot is a couple of the guys there had been fiddling with it all day with a 50 mm Summilux and could not get any focus peaking to work with a "legacy" lens. Then they tried an OMD-EM-5II and EM-1 and could not get it to work with them. I tried it with them and nothing. When you mounted a m4/3 lens, manual focus peaking worked fine. They stuck my Summicron on a Sony and, well, well, focus peaking.
                        Do I not know something or is manual focus peaking only for m4/3 lenses. That would be a shame...
                        I've no experience of focus peaking but it seems that it would be especially useful with legacy lenses and it is a real shame if it only works with m43 lenses.

John

Comment

That is the question...WHY would you want to use manual focus on an automatic lens?
                          I'm about ready to go to Sony. I think Olympus has their collective heads up...their thinking is all wrong...

Comment

Ok, I think I might have something here. Of course that will require another trip to the brick and mortar.
                            Seems as though you have to assign focus peaking to a button before it will display. We shall see...My tentative apologies to the collective heads.

Comment

Focus Peaking is on the E-P5, E-M1, E-M5II and the PEN-F

It works with manual lenses. Only today I used it with the OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4

The latest firmware provides for colours other than white to be used to indicate the band that is in focus and provides a reasonable indication of DoF.

Manual pre-focus remains a very effective technique in capturing fast moving action such as racing cars at the clipping point on bends, etc..

In the studio, models are fairly static to remain in the sweet spot of the lighting so again manual focus is very useful.
                              Graham

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to

Comment

Working...
                              X