Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manual lenses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Manual lenses

    Manual focus lenses can be used with with Focus Peaking, but it isn't an automatic function with those lenses (no electrical connection for it to) but is activated by programming a function key to turn it ON & OFF.

    EDIT: I didn't read all posts & see that has been established anyhow.
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Manual lenses

      Thank you both for confirming! Cameras these days take forever to program the way you want them to work and sometimes it is almost impossible to figure out the "manual". I guess that is why they make aftermarket "The Complete, Ultimate _____ manuals" that don't explain it all either.
      I just spent the afternoon RE-educating myself on the magnify focus on my EM5. Just one of the reasons I like my M8 so much, I guess, it's so basic.

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Manual lenses

        Just a little update here...
        I brought home a Pen, futzed with it all day and had little luck with the peaking. Also decided almost immediately that it just was wrong for me, unbalanced with larger glass and the Leitz heavy lenses from the past.
        Next day I took it back and came home with the right camera, the EM-1 and vertical grip. Aside from WAY too many buttons, leavers and gadgets, but I am streamlining it down to to my way of E-1 type thinking. Since MF is pretty important to me, Fn2 is peaking and rec is enlarge. With IS, the enlarging is lovely, rock solid and the FP is really solid in red. I find that getting it close in FP and then 3-7X enlarging the rest of the way gets me dang sharp.
        I think I will really like this one...

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Manual lenses

          Originally posted by Hans View Post
          Just a little update here...
          I brought home a Pen, futzed with it all day and had little luck with the peaking. Also decided almost immediately that it just was wrong for me, unbalanced with larger glass and the Leitz heavy lenses from the past.
          Next day I took it back and came home with the right camera, the EM-1 and vertical grip. Aside from WAY too many buttons, leavers and gadgets, but I am streamlining it down to to my way of E-1 type thinking. Since MF is pretty important to me, Fn2 is peaking and rec is enlarge. With IS, the enlarging is lovely, rock solid and the FP is really solid in red. I find that getting it close in FP and then 3-7X enlarging the rest of the way gets me dang sharp.
          I think I will really like this one...
          That sounds like a good move then. Have you updated the firmware to 4.1 as well?
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Manual lenses

            I was told that 4.0 was the latest. Did 4.1 just come out? Have you updated? Hard to imagine IS could be any better. I usually try to wait till some feedback comes in...

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Manual lenses

              Originally posted by Hans View Post
              I was told that 4.0 was the latest. Did 4.1 just come out? Have you updated? Hard to imagine IS could be any better. I usually try to wait till some feedback comes in...
              Yes & yes.

              Ver.4.1
              (Feb.4 2016)

              The stability of the image stabilizer's operations has been improved.
              The problem in which the external flash would not fire when shooting in RC mode has been corrected.
              Ross
              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
              Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

              Comment


              • #22
                Re: Manual lenses

                Just upgraded yesterday and all was fine. Then I updated the old Olympus lens I had and fine. Then updated my 12-35 Panasonic and the update stuck on the screen. Some lovely @@#$ Olympus tech told me to unplug the camera after locking up for 15 min. Then he had me remove all batteries and re-install. Camera works fine but the 12-35 is BRICKED. I told him he just bricked my lens and he said that "They had no control over Panasonic lenses, to call Panasonic and if they discovered something, please have them call Olympus. Sorry about your lens!"

                BEWARE OF UPDATING PANASONIC LENSES ON 4.1...

                Anyone updated Panasonic lenses on EM-1 on 4.0? Anyone on 4.1?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Re: Manual lenses

                  Originally posted by Hans View Post
                  Just upgraded yesterday and all was fine. Then I updated the old Olympus lens I had and fine. Then updated my 12-35 Panasonic and the update stuck on the screen. Some lovely @@#$ Olympus tech told me to unplug the camera after locking up for 15 min. Then he had me remove all batteries and re-install. Camera works fine but the 12-35 is BRICKED. I told him he just bricked my lens and he said that "They had no control over Panasonic lenses, to call Panasonic and if they discovered something, please have them call Olympus. Sorry about your lens!"

                  BEWARE OF UPDATING PANASONIC LENSES ON 4.1...

                  Anyone updated Panasonic lenses on EM-1 on 4.0? Anyone on 4.1?
                  That was rather crook then! I hope that can be sorted OK then.

                  Maybe you can read the posts in these threads too.
                  https://www.mu-43.com/threads/panaso...6/#post-845332
                  https://www.mu-43.com/threads/reinst...8/#post-840445
                  Ross
                  I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
                  Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
                  Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
                  Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
                  Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: Manual lenses

                    Thanks for the links Ross. I would not doubt that the only way this will be resolved involves $$$ (out of my pocket). Very reluctant to try another Panasonic lens...

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Re: Manual lenses

                      Well, I took the lens in to fix, but got the guts up to try the 35-100 and it worked, so looks like nothing wrong with the upgrade.
                      I think the problem seems to stem from auto lenses not making or losing contact with the new camera. Seems as though I had trouble with a lot of lenses at the start, but they mostly all seem to work after repeatedly mounting and dismounting...just kinda wearing everything in. A costly lesson learned...

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X