Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-3 and Sigma 50-500mm - how well do they work together?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-3 and Sigma 50-500mm - how well do they work together?

Hi - I am currently using my Bigma with an E-510 - principally for bird photography - and overall I can live with the performance but it could be better - it has its limits but then you get what you pay for. The main limitation is focusing speed and accuracy, and I am putting this down to the limitations of the 3-point focusing system of the E-510. When photographing birds fast focus is vital. I am therefore considering upgrading to an E-3 (or possibly the new E-30) - mainly for the purported vastly improved focusing system in the E-3, also the weatherproofing of the camera, the better viewfinder, and the purported improved sensor and in-camera processing engine; could anyone resolve a few questions for me:
    1)With an E-3 would I notice (in real life, practical terms) a significant improvement in focusing speed and reliability over and above what I am currently getting with my E-510? (I know there are lots of factors which effect focusing but let's assume like for like situations if possible)
    2)Does anyone out there have some experience of using a Bigma on an E-3 and if so how would they rate the overall performance?
    3)Is the sensor in the E-3 the same sensor as the E-510 or is it significantly improved? (different reviews I have read of the E-3 contradict each other on this point)
    4)Is the image processing engine in the E-3 a big improvement over that in the E-510 (that is: in terms of performance - not just a few little new 'features' which I'm unlikely to ever use) or is it much the same?
    Any info would be much appreciated ('cause the E-3, as you all well know, is going to cost me a lot of dosh!) regards

Re: E-3 and Sigma 50-500mm - how well do they work together?

Originally posted by wilfredsdad View Post
    Hi - I am currently using my Bigma with an E-510 - principally for bird photography - and overall I can live with the performance but it could be better - it has its limits but then you get what you pay for. The main limitation is focusing speed and accuracy, and I am putting this down to the limitations of the 3-point focusing system of the E-510. When photographing birds fast focus is vital. I am therefore considering upgrading to an E-3 (or possibly the new E-30) - mainly for the purported vastly improved focusing system in the E-3, also the weatherproofing of the camera, the better viewfinder, and the purported improved sensor and in-camera processing engine; could anyone resolve a few questions for me:
    1)With an E-3 would I notice (in real life, practical terms) a significant improvement in focusing speed and reliability over and above what I am currently getting with my E-510? (I know there are lots of factors which effect focusing but let's assume like for like situations if possible)
    2)Does anyone out there have some experience of using a Bigma on an E-3 and if so how would they rate the overall performance?
    3)Is the sensor in the E-3 the same sensor as the E-510 or is it significantly improved? (different reviews I have read of the E-3 contradict each other on this point)
    4)Is the image processing engine in the E-3 a big improvement over that in the E-510 (that is: in terms of performance - not just a few little new 'features' which I'm unlikely to ever use) or is it much the same?
    Any info would be much appreciated ('cause the E-3, as you all well know, is going to cost me a lot of dosh!) regards
    The E-3 sensor is slightly better than the E-510 one, but it's not a major step forward. Banding at 1600 and 3200 ISO is visible in both cameras, though I didn't see this problem in the pre-production E-30 I had recently.

I have only used the Bigma on my E-3 a couple of times and I didn't notice any issues with focusing. I think Sigma's HSM system is quite similar in characteristics to Olympus' SWD. The E-3 AF system is definitely faster than the E-510, even when using non-SWD lenses.

For your needs, the major plusses of an E-3 or an E-30 are the additional focus points and the ability to group focus points. C-AF is much better, once mastered. And of course you have 5fps shooting instead of 3fps. The E-3, especially with a HLD-4 grip, handles a lot better with a big lens like the Bigma, too. The bigger viewfinder is ideal for long telephoto shooting as well.

Ian
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Hiya

I have used the Bigma a lot on the E-3, and love the combination.

There's a gallery of images of mine here: http://www.reflectingme.com/p28339871 and from #28 onwards I think most are with the E-3 and Bigma. There's also loads more in my bird galleries with this combination.

I have both cameras, though the bigma has predominantly been residing on my E-3 rather than my E-510. I would think there is an improvement in focusing speed with the bigma on the E-3 in a like for like situation.

Yes, I have a lot of experience with this combo and I'd say that the overall performance is excellent. You get what you pay for of course, and though it is not the fastest lens in terms of aperture, it is capable of yielding excellent results. It performs least well when at maximum focal length on distant subjects - as one would of course expect. But at around to 400mm mark, it can be pin sharp, even wide open.

The sensor in the E-3 is dfifferent to the sensor in the E-510, and in my opinion, is much improved. As Ian says there is still banding evident under certain shooting conditions, but the high ISO performance of the E-3 will yield several additional stops of light for you. With birding, as you know, this can be the difference between a shot and no shot.

Not sure what you mean by the 'processing engine', but in real terms I find the E-3 plus Bigma an excellent combination for birding, and have managed to get many decent shots with the combination. In fact, I'd go as far as saying there's a leap of a difference with the two systems; I learned my technique on the E-510 and love the camera, but by 'ek... the E-3 is a super step up in performance and has enabled me to get images I wouldn't have managed on the E-510.

There's many examples on my gallery - link in sig.

Shout if I can help further.
      John
      Olympus UK Forum
      E-3 | E-510 |
      E-400 | 7-14mm | 11-22mm | 14-54mm |35mm | 40-150mm | 14-42mm | 70-300mm | 1.4x | FL-50 | My Gallery - www.reflectingme.com

Comment

Hi both John and Ian - just a quick reply to say thanks again for your good advice - very much appreciated (it's a long and hard road grasshopper - a little encouragement from those up ahead goes a long way). Was looking at your pics John at Reflecting Me - stunning - that's all I can say - the one of the Peregrin! The message does seem to be that I must bang the old overtime a bit and go for an E-3 or an E-30 (still watching that space). May I ask a couple more (possibly very dumb questions): in the picture info on some of your bird pics John it says 'Flash - 255' does that mean you are using flash on some of the bird pics? it is something I have thought about and feel I must learn about; also it says 'Digital Zoom - 1x) - couldn't possibly clue me up regarding that could you? My little Fuji compact has digital zoom but the wise opinion seemed to be to avoid using it - however, every little bit of reach can help in bird photography - thanks again, regards, Pete

Comment

I also have the bigma and have used it on the e-510 and
          e-520. I really enjoy that lens. I take alot of bird photos and I have to admit too many of them have poor focusing. The shots of birds in flight are very difficult to get correct focusing on. Even shots of birds sitting on the (almost always) rolling sea are very difficult to get sharp focusing on. I even find it when shooting reasonably still birds from a fairly close distance. If I take 4 or 5 shots, at least one or 2 will have less than tack sharp focusing (and yes I'm aware that I need a certain shutter speed with such a long lens etc). Now I'm not saying I don't get any good shots but IMHO I get way too many that I'm not pleased with the focusing on.
          I'm curious if the focusing system on the e-3 or e-30 would be any better? I know from what I read that its much faster but is it also more accurate. Do owners with the bigma find that you get most shots in sharp focus even in somewhat difficult conditions?

Comment

Originally posted by v30 View Post
            I also have the bigma and have used it on the e-510 and
            e-520. I really enjoy that lens. I take alot of bird photos and I have to admit too many of them have poor focusing. The shots of birds in flight are very difficult to get correct focusing on. Even shots of birds sitting on the (almost always) rolling sea are very difficult to get sharp focusing on. I even find it when shooting reasonably still birds from a fairly close distance. If I take 4 or 5 shots, at least one or 2 will have less than tack sharp focusing (and yes I'm aware that I need a certain shutter speed with such a long lens etc). Now I'm not saying I don't get any good shots but IMHO I get way too many that I'm not pleased with the focusing on.
            I'm curious if the focusing system on the e-3 or e-30 would be any better? I know from what I read that its much faster but is it also more accurate. Do owners with the bigma find that you get most shots in sharp focus even in somewhat difficult conditions?
            I used it extensively on my E-500, and got some pretty sharp shots. If you go to the safari section of my web site (link in sig) they were all taken with the Bigma on an E-500. All were also taken with less than adequate support. With the IS of the E-3, I can take great shots with it, but have yet to take it out for wildlife stuff (have only had the E-3 a couple of months now). But I took a practice shot of a flower blowing in the wind with the Bigma on a monopod when I Was last in Africa, and I was shocked how sharp it was. When I have time I will upload it!
            ~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF | Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 | 70-200 f/2.8 G2 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art | 500mm f/4 Sport

Panasonic GX8 | GF3 | 20 f/1.7 II | 12-35 f/2.8

Comment

Checked your site and you have some lovely shots.
              I use a monopod with mine also and I have plenty of sharp shots but I still get too many shots for my liking with less than stellar focusing when using the e-510, e-520. I imagine this is a combination of the very slow bigma lens along with the less than stellar focusing of the e-510/e-520. If I knew the e3/e30 would remedy this I would run out and buy one......but I have no way of knowing.

This may sound stupid but I sometimes wonder if the IS makes matters worse in terms of focusing. The reason I say this is that in live view (not sure which mode, maybe imager AF, if I have IS on, the camera will quite often misfocus when the light is less than great. If I turn the IS off, the focusing accuracy improves greatly

Comment

Checked your site and you have some lovely shots.
                I use a monopod with mine also and I have plenty of sharp shots but I still get too many shots for my liking with less than stellar focusing when using the e-510, e-520. I imagine this is a combination of the very slow bigma lens along with the less than stellar focusing of the e-510/e-520. If I knew the e3/e30 would remedy this I would run out and buy one......but I have no way of knowing.

This may sound stupid but I sometimes wonder if the IS makes matters worse in terms of focusing. The reason I say this is that in live view (not sure which mode, maybe imager AF, if I have IS on, the camera will quite often misfocus when the light is less than great. If I turn the IS off, the focusing accuracy improves greatly
                I guess that my E-500 experience doesn't really apply, then, and I have never used it when it wasn't quite sunny out, either. I will say that on the E-500, it was usually best to focus it manually, then use auto focus to get a more precise focus. It would work quickly and accurately then. I can't remember whether I had to set the lens to MF or AF to be able to do that, but I think it was in MF mode on the lens. That might help you a tad.
                ~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D500 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 PF | Tamron 10-24 f/3.5-4.5 | 70-200 f/2.8 G2 | Sigma 50 f/1.4 Art | 500mm f/4 Sport

Panasonic GX8 | GF3 | 20 f/1.7 II | 12-35 f/2.8

Comment

...I use a monopod with mine ...
                  As did I, the only time I have used my newly-acquired second-hand Bigma, to shoot an amateur production of The Crucible. This event also opened my eyes to the value of a monopod. I know exactly the kit I shall use for the next show I photograph.

I kept mine on, and the lighting of that show was certainly not bright, at least most of the time.

I was very impressed with the pictures I obtained. Yes, noise was still a problem, because of the high ISO I had to use, but camera shake was not, even with such a heavy lens at the longer end of its range. As much as the noise permitted, pictures were very sharp, and focusing was fast, unless the good end results are colouring my recollections of the process of achieving them!

I found it a terrific lens to use with the E-3, but have to admit that I have not yet employed it for shooting wildlife, although that will follow. 500.00 well spent, even if Mrs Brown might disagree.

Comment

I also wonder how 55-200 on e3/epl1, af
                    Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -Anonymous
                    E-3|E-PL2|E-M5|NX-300
                    Pana Leica D Summilux 25
                    Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 MK I
                    Zuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8
                    Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01F
                    Metz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1
                    NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8
                    Mono-TriPod|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Pro Runner 350|Passport Sling|Toploader 55

Ebay : declan_79

Comment

I have to tell you, reviews weren’t bad, and the recommendations on here were favorable when I asked the same question. I have to tell you, I was still really nervous buying the Bigma, even with advice.

What I can tell you, however, is that it is an awesome lens and an invaluable tool for outdoor animal shooting if you need REAL reach! I love it and use it a lot

Jason
                      E-5: ZD 50mm, Sigma 105mm macro, ZD 150mm; ZD 7-14, 12-60SWD, 50-200SWD, Sigma 50-500mm, EC-14.

Comment

Well, i'm thinking to sell my zuiko 65-200 and buy sigma 55-200 then a manual lens either takumar smc 300/4 or sigma apo 400/4.5 using with E3 and my future EPL2.

Since i had a ZD 14-54 MK II (cdaf support) and wondering how slow 55-200 sigma will focus both in E3 or EPL (i believed this 55-200) not supported CDAF
                        Owning a DSLR does not make you a photographer. It makes you a DSLR owner -Anonymous
                        E-3|E-PL2|E-M5|NX-300
                        Pana Leica D Summilux 25
                        Zuiko Digital : 14-54 MK II|ZD 50-200 MK I
                        Zuiko OM : OM 50/1.4|OM 50/1.8
                        Tamron : SP 90/f2.5|Tamron 18F|01F
                        Metz 44-AF1|EVF-2|MMF-2|Mal-1
                        NX : 18-55 MK III|SEF-A8
                        Mono-TriPod|Slingshot 200AW|Compuday 150|Pro Runner 350|Passport Sling|Toploader 55

Ebay : declan_79

Comment

Well I can remember reading this thread originally when I was trying to decide if I should buy a Bigma, I did and its not had very much use at all so I think I will go get it out and give it a go with the E-5 I recently bought and see if I can get some results as good as those I have seen here.

Comment

Working...
                          X