Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro with EC14?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro with EC14?

Some people have posted stunning pictures taken with the Sigma 150mm f2 and the Olympus teleconverters. However, I would like to know if anyone has tried the Sigma 150mm f2.8 (the macro lens) with Olympus teleconverters, specifically if they have tried using it as a macro lens while also using the teleconverters. I am seeking to increase the magnification while maintaining a good long working distance.

Re: Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro with EC14?

Originally posted by mount_evans View Post
    Some people have posted stunning pictures taken with the Sigma 150mm f2 and the Olympus teleconverters. However, I would like to know if anyone has tried the Sigma 150mm f2.8 (the macro lens) with Olympus teleconverters, specifically if they have tried using it as a macro lens while also using the teleconverters. I am seeking to increase the magnification while maintaining a good long working distance.
    It works well with it (with MF) but initial attempts on the E-M1 I haven't had great success with AF with that combination at macro distances, but excellent for telephoto shots. On the E30 it needed some Fine AF adjustment to correct the AF, but that happens & that is why that adjustment is made available (& in the E-M1 too).
    Ross
    I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
    Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
    Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
    Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
    Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Elsewhere it has been implied that manual focus is more the rule than the exception with macrophotography in any case. No extension tube should be needed since (as I understand) the Sigma 150mm does 1:1 magnification all by itself. So, now I just need to find me a Sigma 150mm f2.8 in a 4/3 mount.

Comment

Elsewhere it has been implied that manual focus is more the rule than the exception with macrophotography in any case. No extension tube should be needed since (as I understand) the Sigma 150mm does 1:1 magnification all by itself. So, now I just need to find me a Sigma 150mm f2.8 in a 4/3 mount.
        Yes, you will have to find someone who is willing to part with theirs since the 4/3's models aren't being produced any more. The EX25 works well with it too which allows closer focussing with some more magnification (than 1:1)
        Ross
        Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.

Comment

OK, just to prove them wrong (about AF) & make me happy too, I just took this with the E-M1 (S-AF+MF) + MMF3 + EC14 + Sigma 150mm macro lens (@ f/8.0) & using the FL50R flash with diffuser attached (Auto TTL at +1 output) of this Kenilworth Ivy flower (about 9mm across) & it actually focussed quite well with one standard focus box (previous attempts it wasn't so good so maybe I've set something a little different today).

And cropped.

Just in case you're more curious about the Kenilworth Ivy.
          Cymbalaria muralis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is a nice lens combination but the M4/3's 60mm is also rather nice, light & compact.
          Last edited by Ross; 14th June 2014, 03:20 AM.
          Ross

Comment

Originally posted by Ross View Post
            Yes, you will have to find someone who is willing to part with theirs since the 4/3's models aren't being produced any more. The EX25 works well with it too which allows closer focussing with some more magnification (than 1:1)
            Flickr forums are full of people saying they are giving up on their Olympus E-system and going (back?) to Canikon. I just need to find one who has a Sigma 150mm.

Isn't it "pushing it" to try to get magnification beyond 1:1 using extension tubes? Don't you start getting vignetting or something?

Comment

Flickr forums are full of people saying they are giving up on their Olympus E-system and going (back?) to Canikon. I just need to find one who has a Sigma 150mm.

Isn't it "pushing it" to try to get magnification beyond 1:1 using extension tubes? Don't you start getting vignetting or something?
              No, I don't think so (maybe with a zoom lens though). I will add the two Viltrox (M4/3's) pair of tubes & the EX25 to it tomorrow (I need sleep now) & will post that photo then. It just allows closer focussing which increase it's size on the sensor & I think it is effectively using a smaller circle of the lens, not larger (we'll see after I try it). It does limit the focus distance when the lens is focussing at infinity though.
              Last edited by Ross; 14th June 2014, 01:02 AM.
              Ross

Comment

You can stack lots of extension behind a lens, especially a true macro lens. I use my OM telescopic extension tube on everything from my 38mm high magnification macro to my 300mm for background control.
                It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

Comment

You shouldn't get vignetting. What you do get is a loss of effective aperture, the so-called bellows factor.

The bellows factor is the number of stops of extra exposure you need and is equal to the optical magnification + 1. Thus, at a magnification of 1, a lens at f4 (say) gives the same exposure as if it were at f8 when focussed to infinity (ie. 1+1 = 2 stops slower). To compensate for this, you would need to reduce the shutter speed by a factor of 4.

Bearing in mind the need to stop down to get adequate depth of field when doing real macro work, it is pretty easy to run to of light.

Mark
                  E-M5 | E-M1 | mZD 9-18 | mZD 12-40 | mZD 12-50 | mZD 40-140 | mZD 75-300 | mZD 45 f1.8 | Panasonic-m 14 f2.5 | Panasonic-m 20 f1.7 | Panasonic-m 25mm f1.4 |

E3 | ZD 14-54 Mk1 | ZD 50-200SWD | ZD 35 Macro | Panaleica 25mm | Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro |

Comment

Here are the photos as promised. The 26mm of (M4/3's) extension is 10mm & 16mm Viltrox DG-M43 tubes & all using AF (backing away only slightly for it to get focus lock) with the aperture set at f/4.0 & the flash triggered by RC mode bouncing off a white ceiling. Text is self explanatory.

All with added text & just resized & sharpened for web display. A bit more useless information, the flower was supported through the heart hole of a violin bridge (brought inside because of light rain). I had to support it somehow!
                    Ross

Comment

Working...
                    X