Advantage of 14mm Panny lens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantage of 14mm Panny lens?

Newbie question. Is there much difference between the Panny 14mm pancake lens and the 14-42mm II kit lens for my DMC G6? It is necessary to have both for more varied picture taking in wide angle or is the latter sufficient?

Re: Advantage of 14mm Panny lens?

Well the pancake lens has a 2.5 aperture, making it better for low light situations. So having both would be best.
    Cheers, Rob

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Comment

The 14mm also produces better image quality than the kit lens. a "pancake" (i.e. very thin) lens design inherently involves some compromises in image quality, but as a prime lens it will still be better than the kit zoom. The 14 also has the obvious size advantage, so if you only need a wide-angle lens for a particular outing, you can carry a smaller kit.

Whether you need to have both lenses depends a lot on what types of photos you take. Do you often find yourself using the kit lens at the wide end? Do you also take many photos at the long end? Do you make big enlargements in which better image quality would be noticeable? If you consider the types of photos you take and/or want to take, it may help you figure out which lens(s) will be best for you.

- Hal -
        A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
        Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

Picked one up for a reasonable price on EBay ($176). At that price I couldn't refuse it. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Working...
          X