FOV, 7mm (7-14) vs 7.5mm FE/defished.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave in Wales
    started a topic FOV, 7mm (7-14) vs 7.5mm FE/defished.

FOV, 7mm (7-14) vs 7.5mm FE/defished.

This was an exercise in FOV only between the Panny 7-14, at the 7 end and the Samyang 7.5 FE, fished and defished.

The camera was in the same place for both shots set at f5.6 with MF.

I used Fisheye Hemi to defish.

Interesting results....I thought.

As I use the 7-14 at the 7 end, 99% of the time, I'm wondering should I keep it.....Opinions please.
    If one is looking for UWA then surely the FE defished is the way to go, and at a fraction of the price of the 7-14.

Panny 7-14 at the 7 end.

PC210239-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Samyang 7.5 Defished.

PC210240DF-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Samyang 7.5 FE

PC210240-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

• jimindenver
    replied
    Re: FOV, 7mm (7-14) vs 7.5mm FE/defished.

Hi Barrie

It's great to see everyone here again and yes the health has improved. Thank you for asking.
    My arm is back to the point that I can handhold again but I have to watch how long I let the rig hang by its grip strap. The rest of it, well it is what it is and I do what I can.

How have you two been? I see you are enjoying your EM 1.

I hope your Christmas is a great one.
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• Barr1e
    replied

Originally posted by jimindenver View Post
    I had a friend that avoided buying the 7-14 by doing the same with the 8mm FE. I use the 8mm, 7-14 and 11-22 to do interior work but have never defished the 8mm. Usually I crop what I need out or leave the distotion in. It would come in handy for closets and such. Thanks!
    Hi Jim -

I hope I am excused for using this thread to say how pleasing it is to see you.

One hopes health has improved.

Happy Season and a great 2014.

Regards. Barr1e

Leave a comment:

• jimindenver
    replied

I had a friend that avoided buying the 7-14 by doing the same with the 8mm FE. I use the 8mm, 7-14 and 11-22 to do interior work but have never defished the 8mm. Usually I crop what I need out or leave the distotion in. It would come in handy for closets and such. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

There is still some distortion in the de-fished version, but it's useful to know maybe for emergencies

Ian

Leave a comment:

• hschnee
    replied

I have the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye, and it's become one of my favorite lenses. It's tiny, quite sharp, inexpensive, and a whole lot of fun! I've experimented with some de-fishing software, but almost always leave my images fishy. I don't take architecture photos very much, so I don't usually find the distortion objectionable. I even used it for some photos of my mom's wedding, and she was happy with the results. Samyang use a near-stereographic projection for their fisheye lenses, which produces less distortion than the more typical orthographic projection.

Thanks for doing the comparison!

- Hal -

Leave a comment:

• Barr1e
    replied

How interesting - thanks.

I rather like the last, it reminds me of the underground.

The first shows the textures well and offers a much better image to my eyes.

Regards. Barr1e

Leave a comment:

• David M
    replied

I use my 7-14 for precise framing, it's a likely to be at 8 or 9mm as 7. I also use it at 12-14mm to avoid the complex distortion of the 12-60 at the wide end.

I think a lot of people realise a defished fisheye shot will be wider than a shot at 7mm. I very rarely defish as I wonder if there's any artifacts being introduced by all the pixel juggling needed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X