FOV, 7mm (7-14) vs 7.5mm FE/defished.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FOV, 7mm (7-14) vs 7.5mm FE/defished.

This was an exercise in FOV only between the Panny 7-14, at the 7 end and the Samyang 7.5 FE, fished and defished.

The camera was in the same place for both shots set at f5.6 with MF.

I used Fisheye Hemi to defish.

Interesting results....I thought.

As I use the 7-14 at the 7 end, 99% of the time, I'm wondering should I keep it.....Opinions please.
    If one is looking for UWA then surely the FE defished is the way to go, and at a fraction of the price of the 7-14.

Panny 7-14 at the 7 end.

PC210239-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Samyang 7.5 Defished.

PC210240DF-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Samyang 7.5 FE

PC210240-RS by Dave in Wales, on Flickr

Re: FOV, 7mm (7-14) vs 7.5mm FE/defished.

I use my 7-14 for precise framing, it's a likely to be at 8 or 9mm as 7. I also use it at 12-14mm to avoid the complex distortion of the 12-60 at the wide end.

I think a lot of people realise a defished fisheye shot will be wider than a shot at 7mm. I very rarely defish as I wonder if there's any artifacts being introduced by all the pixel juggling needed.
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

Comment

How interesting - thanks.

I rather like the last, it reminds me of the underground.

The first shows the textures well and offers a much better image to my eyes.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

I have the Samyang 7.5mm fisheye, and it's become one of my favorite lenses. It's tiny, quite sharp, inexpensive, and a whole lot of fun! I've experimented with some de-fishing software, but almost always leave my images fishy. I don't take architecture photos very much, so I don't usually find the distortion objectionable. I even used it for some photos of my mom's wedding, and she was happy with the results. Samyang use a near-stereographic projection for their fisheye lenses, which produces less distortion than the more typical orthographic projection.

Thanks for doing the comparison!

- Hal -
        A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
        Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

There is still some distortion in the de-fished version, but it's useful to know maybe for emergencies

Ian
          Founder/editor
          Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
          Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
          Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
          Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
          Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
          Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
          Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

I had a friend that avoided buying the 7-14 by doing the same with the 8mm FE. I use the 8mm, 7-14 and 11-22 to do interior work but have never defished the 8mm. Usually I crop what I need out or leave the distotion in. It would come in handy for closets and such. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by jimindenver View Post
              I had a friend that avoided buying the 7-14 by doing the same with the 8mm FE. I use the 8mm, 7-14 and 11-22 to do interior work but have never defished the 8mm. Usually I crop what I need out or leave the distotion in. It would come in handy for closets and such. Thanks!
              Hi Jim -

I hope I am excused for using this thread to say how pleasing it is to see you.

One hopes health has improved.

Happy Season and a great 2014.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

Hi Barrie

It's great to see everyone here again and yes the health has improved. Thank you for asking.
                My arm is back to the point that I can handhold again but I have to watch how long I let the rig hang by its grip strap. The rest of it, well it is what it is and I do what I can.

How have you two been? I see you are enjoying your EM 1.

I hope your Christmas is a great one.
                Jim

Comment

Working...
                X