Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of some lens changes

Hi all

Just looking for some opinions of what to buy first.

My main photographic interests are studio and possibly street photography with some landscape thrown into the mix. Decided I'm not a natural history photographer simply don't have the patients required.
    I currently own all Lumix lenses the 7-14, 14-42 power zoom 14-180, 45 prime and 100-300.

I plan on selling the 45mm f2.8 Leica as this would be covered with one of the planed new lenses, also selling the 100-300 as not doing natural history it becomes largely redundant. At some piont possibly I will be selling the 14-180 as well, all these sales to finance the new planed purchases.

The lenses I feel I want are the 12-35 f2.8 and the 35-100 f2.8.
    What in your opinion should be the first to be purchased the 12-35 or 35-100? as I will have to make the purchases over time.

Patrick

Re: Thinking of some lens changes

Whenever I have these thoughts, I consider value for money as well as image quality, in that I want to get the most use from the lens.

I do an analysis of all the pictures I have taken and using "Exposure plot" http://www.vandel.nl/ from which I can see what focal length will get the most use and therefore should have the most invested in it to achieve the best quality.

With studio work, the available space (shooting distance) will be a big factor in choosing which lens provides the best FoV that will cover the composition that you want. For portraits the 35-100 would be the best, whereas the 12-35 may well be needed for full length shots, in a small studio.

Landscapes will obviously favour the 12-35, so it's a choice based on what you will be shooting most of first. With the 12-35, you can always get closer to the subject in the studio but it's much harder to get further away with the 35-100 when out shooting the scenery.

Either way, good choices of lens, but wait and see if Olympus bring out a high spec zoom.
    Graham

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      Whenever I have these thoughts, I consider value for money as well as image quality, in that I want to get the most use from the lens.

I do an analysis of all the pictures I have taken and using "Exposure plot" http://www.vandel.nl/ from which I can see what focal length will get the most use and therefore should have the most invested in it to achieve the best quality.

With studio work, the available space (shooting distance) will be a big factor in choosing which lens provides the best FoV that will cover the composition that you want. For portraits the 35-100 would be the best, whereas the 12-35 may well be needed for full length shots, in a small studio.

Landscapes will obviously favour the 12-35, so it's a choice based on what you will be shooting most of first. With the 12-35, you can always get closer to the subject in the studio but it's much harder to get further away with the 35-100 when out shooting the scenery.

Either way, good choices of lens, but wait and see if Olympus bring out a high spec zoom.

Thanks for that, your thought reflect mine very closely, hense the delema which first, I would get both eventually. If the 12-35 had been 12-50 f2.8, then it would have been no contest, that one first.
      For studio and landscape I have been using the 45mm and the 14-180 which is an excellent all rounder, but I would like the f2.8 for the shallower depth of field
      I have this of course with the 45mm f2.8 which is a superb lens, but unlike many on the forum I am not a fan of prime lenses, I apreciate the quality they can give but I like the flexibility of a zoom. Both the 12-35 and the 35-200 f2.8 fit the bill exactly. If Olympus in their wisdom should come up with a 12-50 f2 then that would be the one, perfection, unfortunaly they don't include image stabilisation in their glass and I have never been good at hold a camera very still. Not a problem with flash I know, but the lens would also be used elswhere.

Patrick

Comment

I am very much a prime shooter (old habits from analogue days) and I would rather have a set of 3 nice fast primes (12,25,45) than a zoom as for me I find it makes me think more about my end results, composition, DOF and really sharp images.

I find this particularly relevant for me with Mu43 format to provide the best glass/sensor combination and my favourites are PanaLeica 25 f1.4 for street work and for portrait work I use either the Oly 45mm f1.8 or if space permits 75mm f1.8.

I am not anti Zoom by any means and have the Pany 100-300mm for those occasions such as the airshow images but I still enjoy carrying the OMD with small, light lenses - it is the reason I parted company with my full frame kit that was big & heavy.
        Ian
        571Photography
        http://571photography.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Iansky View Post
          I am very much a prime shooter (old habits from analogue days) and I would rather have a set of 3 nice fast primes (12,25,45) than a zoom as for me I find it makes me think more about my end results, composition, DOF and really sharp images.

I find this particularly relevant for me with Mu43 format to provide the best glass/sensor combination and my favourites are PanaLeica 25 f1.4 for street work and for portrait work I use either the Oly 45mm f1.8 or if space permits 75mm f1.8.

I am not anti Zoom by any means and have the Pany 100-300mm for those occasions such as the airshow images but I still enjoy carrying the OMD with small, light lenses - it is the reason I parted company with my full frame kit that was big & heavy.
          Its the lens changing that puts me off primes, fare from helping me think, it halts my thought possesses. Even with zooms I alway seem to have the wrong zoom lens on the camera let alone a prime lens. If I need to think I just stop and think. My 45mm f2.8 Pany/Leica simply does not get the use it deserves.

Patrick

Comment

Working...
          X