X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kees
    replied
    Re: Long Lens

Camera shake is a distinct possibility at 300mm and I'm definitely not beyond that. Another possibility might be IBIS-IS not working nicely together, since it was used on an E-PL3 (with a monopod). It is my wife's lens and I don't use it any more since I bought myself an mZuiko 75-300, so I don't have recent experience. My wife likes this lens a lot though and it's performance isn't shabby at all.
    I fully agree with Davidm about the 50-200 SWD. That lens and the 12-60 SWD are the main reason for me to keep the E5.

Leave a comment:

• David M
    replied

You could be right about the camera shake issue at the long end. It's something I never considered as 98% of my long lens shots are tripod mounted.

At the same time I've tested a lot of telephoto zooms over the decades and kept a grand total of one, the 50-200 SWD.

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by Ron Binmore View Post
    Thanks for your reply. What about the 200 - 600, is that any:\ good do you know and is it a power lens please??

Ron
    Hi Ron - I thin you are getting a little confused by the use if 'power' by Panasonic. Some lenses have a power zoom function (like the 14-42 power zoom, and the 45-175 power zoom) while other lenses have Power OIS, which is an enhanced image stabilisation used in some of Panasonic's newest lenses.

There are no 'Power' features with the 100-300, which is the obvious choice for your camera.

You could think about the 45-175 power zoom, but this lens - although reasonably powerful at the tele end - might not be long enough for some bird and other wildlife scenarios.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Ian
    replied

Originally posted by David M View Post
    I've never seen the point of telephoto zooms that are soft at the long end.
    I personally don't think the 100-300 is soft at 300. What is an issue is that this is equivalent to a 600mm lens - that's a very long lens to be hand held, which it is easy to do with this lens. Hand-holding a lightweight lens at 600mm is asking for motion blur. I have seen excellent sharpness with this lens at the long end when the photographer has managed to keep the camera steady.

Ian

Leave a comment:

• Ron Binmore
    replied

What lens would you use then David M? I don't have a huge amount of money to spend but I need a long lens so the 100-300mm looks as if it is the one I shall have to go with. I would have thought that if you use single spot auto focusing for birding and keep the ISO as low as possible it might be alright??

Ron

Leave a comment:

• David M
    replied

I've never seen the point of telephoto zooms that are soft at the long end.

Leave a comment:

• Kees
    replied

Originally posted by Ron Binmore View Post
    Thanks for your reply. What about the 200 - 600, is that any:\ good do you know and is it a power lens please??

Ron
    There is no 200-600, I think it refers to the same lens (cropping factor 2 for micro 4/3: 100-300 on m4/3 = 200-600 full frame equivalent).

The 100-300 is a good lens. A tiny bit soft on the long end, but that is to be expected I think.

Leave a comment:

• Ron Binmore
    replied

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Kees
    replied

For a G5 the lumix g-vario 100-300 would be the only choice I guess. the only competitor is the Olympus mZuiko 75-300, but that lens has no image stabilisation (Olympus has IS built-in in the camera, Panasonic in the lenses).

Leave a comment:

• Ron Binmore
    started a topic HELP! Long Lens

Long Lens

I am just about to purchase a G5 with a 15-140 power lens for general useage but what is the best lens to buy for wild life and bird shots please?

Ron
Working...
X