Panasonic 20mm Light flare spikes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Panasonic 20mm Light flare spikes

I've only been using this Panasonic 20mm lens for 10 days bought from new. The other day I noticed that when bright lights are in the picture, the flares from the lights spread across the image making it unusable.

And now when I point the camera at say a streetlight I get light spikes whereas before it was a suppressed glow.

Is this a lens fault do you think. Tried wiping the lens with damp tissue and had no effect.

If anyone has a 20mm attached to a gf1 do they get suppressed glow or spikes of light when they point to a light like a streetlight or a traffic light ?

Re: Panasonic 20mm Light flare spikes

Do you have a filter fitted? And what apertures are you talking about?
    It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

Comment

There is no filter fitted. The aperture is f1.7 and I haven't used any other aperture on this lens

Comment

In that case I'd suggest trying the lens on a different body to see if the results are the same.

Comment

Only have the one Gf1 camera. Why would you think it was the body and not the lens ?

Comment

I'll try to upload some before and after images to illustrate what I am talking about

Comment

Testing the lens on a different body would help show if it was a reproducable problem with the lens.

Comment

Three days a go I didn't have the problem with the lens.

Do you have a 20mm attached to a gf1 David M ?

Comment

I don't have either body or lens. Try to post some sample shots. That may help people work out what's gone wrong. I take it you haven't dropped/banged either the body or lens before you saw the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Camera View Post
                    I've only been using this Panasonic 20mm lens for 10 days bought from new. The other day I noticed that when bright lights are in the picture, the flares from the lights spread across the image making it unusable.

And now when I point the camera at say a streetlight I get light spikes whereas before it was a suppressed glow.

Is this a lens fault do you think. Tried wiping the lens with damp tissue and had no effect.

If anyone has a 20mm attached to a gf1 do they get suppressed glow or spikes of light when they point to a light like a streetlight or a traffic light ?
                    Could you post a sample of your problem.

The fact is shooting into any light is not without problems, and the effect you describe do not to me sound unusual depending on how bad they are.

The fact is digital is more prone to flare than film, I am not sure of the technical reasons. Secondly wider angles lenses them selves can be prone to flare add the two together and it can be a problem.
                    Always use a lens hood, although this will not help directly into a strong light.
                    I often shooting into the light add extra shade with my hand or cap (if I am wearing one) again this only helps if the strong light is at the very edges of the frame.
                    All this said there may be a fault which is why a sample shot would help readers to evaluate your problem.

Patrick

Comment

Of course I haven't dropped or banged the camera.
                      David M, we seem to be getting nowhere and I have to make a decision about the lens.

Anyone else, who has a gf1 perhaps with the 20mm lens attached ?

Comment

This is a before shot,

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0f60016b.jpg

and the after, about three days later

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/...ps9c3b0c5d.jpg

The same streetlight at approximately the same time of night.
                        Also noticeable on traffic lights and headlights were before it was a glow.

Comment

I can't see those direct links I posted,

try this:

http://s1305.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=0

Comment

I have a GF1 with 20mm and I don't experience these problems. I usually shoot in P,A or S modes.

Comment

The photos definitely look odd. Was there anything else in the frame, or were you only trying to take pictures of the light? What are the exposure settings? The light is very much overexposed, so this by itself could be the source of the problem. This does not look like your typical lens flare. If you can give some more information about the camera/exposure settings and the other photographic conditinons, we may be able to get to the bottom of the problem.

- Hal -
                              A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
                              Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

Working...
                              X