Panasonic 100300 quality issue?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Panasonic 100300 quality issue?

Hi. My first post having just joined. I have a G5 and have bought the 100300 lens to go with it. I thought the results at 300 were very indistinct so compared it with my daughters Pan FZ150 bridge camera. Manual focus on a tripod with comparable settings and exposure the FZ150 is much sharper. Has anyone had similar problems or suggestions as to why the 100300 lens seems to be performing so badly? I've uploaded two cropped pics. Thanks in anticipation!
    Attached Files

Re: Panasonic 100300 quality issue?

Originally posted by John8142 View Post
    Hi. My first post having just joined. I have a G5 and have bought the 100300 lens to go with it. I thought the results at 300 were very indistinct so compared it with my daughters Pan FZ150 bridge camera. Manual focus on a tripod with comparable settings and exposure the FZ150 is much sharper. Has anyone had similar problems or suggestions as to why the 100300 lens seems to be performing so badly? I've uploaded two cropped pics. Thanks in anticipation!
    The first of the two images looks to me as if its suffering from camera shake, the second much better resolution.
    When testing on a tripod it's best to use a remote release or use the self timer, so there is no chance of moving the camera when the image is exposed. It's often thought using a tripod is enough, but it can still move when pressing the shutter, particularly if its a cheaper light weight model. 300mm is easily disturbed, also when using a tripod the image stabiliser is best switched off this is normally recommended as the stabiliser can when tripod mounted create its own camera shake as it looks for movement.
    Can you indicate the crop by posting the uncroped image so we can see how much of the original image we are seeing?
    I have a Panasonic 100-300, it isn't devestatingly sharp but is more than acceptable for anything up to A3 print.

Are both these images made using the 100-300, or one from each camera?

Patrick

Comment

Thanks Patrick. I used self timer and disabled IS for both images. The better image is from the FZ150 at 300 which you can imagine I found surprising as it's only a 299 camera! I've uploaded the full size images for both. If you can see the filename, it indicates either G5 or FZ150. As the focus would have been near enough infinity I wonder if the 100300 is just a bad example and just can't reach an accurate focus at its extremity.
      Attached Files

Comment

You can check the infinity focus by using manual focus and magnified view,

I suggest also that you test the lens with a clear unambiguous long distance view in case the autofocus is being misled by the foreground.

Comment

Originally posted by mike_j View Post
          You can check the infinity focus by using manual focus and magnified view,

I suggest also that you test the lens with a clear unambiguous long distance view in case the autofocus is being misled by the foreground.
          I was just about to write the same advice, the auto focus is undoubtably affecting the focus, also the out of focus tree are acting like a diffuser which I mistakenly thought was camera shake.
          The two picture have been taken with very different cameras one of which is a bridge camera and probably has a much smaller sensor, therefore more depth of field. To add to the mismatch the lens is not the same equivalent focus length. The equivalent focus length of the 100-300 on the G5 is 200-600, I have no idea on the other camera but we can see its different from the picture.
          May a suggest a new test with the infinity object clear of any obstruction, tripod mounted (even ensure its not windy, 600mm end can be effected unless a very stable tripod is used). Also try a hand held with stabiliser on using a shutter speed of around 1/800 better still a1/1000, the ISO may have to be increased.
          It would also be useful if we had a couple of smaller aperture shots to see how an increase in depth of field affects the sharpness.
          One final point, I have used over the years a number of long lenses and all without exception (this included a 300mm Canon L prime lens) do not give of their best at infinity, although its all relative they were all still sharp.

Lets see the new test shots, don't bother with the bridge camera.

Patrick

Comment

I have used the 100-300 quite extensively and it's overall a very good performer. In general, long zooms tend to be better at the short end of the zoom range, but the 100-300 is also very acceptable at the long end. Assuming you switched IS off when using the tripod and the tripod was OK, then it would either point to a problem with your example of the lens or focus selection.

Ian
            Founder/editor
            Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
            Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
            Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
            Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
            Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
            Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

A few things here

1-Your FZ is the 35mm equivalent of 510mm and the G5 is 600mm a longer focal length means you have a narrow band of focus (depth of field).

2-Shooting at f5.6 on the FZ with its much smaller sensor is the equivalent of shooting at f16-f22 on 35mm gives a lot more depth of field (more of the image is in focus) than the G5 which is why the image seems sharper as more of it is in focus on the FZ.

3- Jpeg sharpening and contrast is more aggressive in compact cameras than it is in your G5

If on the G5 you if you were to set the sharpening and contrast higher in the menu and the focal length to 250mm and set the F stop to f11 then these setting would be the equal of f5.6 on your FZ andyou would see a result similar to your FZ providing there is no operator error.
              Regards Paul.
              One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk_photography/

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                A few things here

1-Your FZ is the 35mm equivalent of 510mm and the G5 is 600mm a longer focal length means you have a narrow band of focus (depth of field).

2-Shooting at f5.6 on the FZ with its much smaller sensor is the equivalent of shooting at f16-f22 on 35mm gives a lot more depth of field (more of the image is in focus) than the G5 which is why the image seems sharper as more of it is in focus on the FZ.

3- Jpeg sharpening and contrast is more aggressive in compact cameras than it is in your G5

If on the G5 you if you were to set the sharpening and contrast higher in the menu and the focal length to 250mm and set the F stop to f11 then these setting would be the equal of f5.6 on your FZ andyou would see a result similar to your FZ providing there is no operator error.
                There was more to the difference in the two images than in camera sharpening in my view. We have to remember that in camera sharpening cannot make an image that is simply out of focus or defuse, sharp. Sharpening whether in camera or in post processing increases edge contrast, if there are only soft edges it has less or nothing to work with.

All very confusing for a beginner.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick View Post
                  There was more to the difference in the two images than in camera sharpening in my view. We have to remember that in camera sharpening cannot make an image that is simply out of focus or defuse, sharp. Sharpening whether in camera or in post processing increases edge contrast, if there are only soft edges it has less or nothing to work with.

All very confusing for a beginner.

Patrick
                  Indeed it does have camera shake which had already been pointed out, and these suggestion were simply to get similar looking comparison providing as I said there was no operator error. The much narrow dof can deceive someone coming from a compact to think there is something wrong when comparing apples and pears.
                  Regards Paul.
                  One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

http://www.pbase.com/paulsilkphotography
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk_photography/

Comment

There is an issue with some Panasonic lenses at certain shutter speeds where the image is blurred due to an interaction with the mechanical shutter. I had the 100-300 and while very pleased with it overall there were times when the image didn't seem sharp and in hind-site I'm wondering if that was the issue.

Try taking the pics again but using the electronic shutter as well as the mechanical shutter and compare, this will highlight the issue above if it is causing the problem.

Paul
                    GH-3, OM-D, 7-14, 12-35, 35-100, 100-300, 25, 60 macro, 40-150 Pro.

RX100

View my online albums Picasa and
                    Flickr

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I really appreciate it and I've got several things to think about and try out. One thing that I have done which seems to have improved the clarity of the G5 images is to do a pixel refresh. It's quite a new camera and I'd never done this (or realised there was an option on the menu - apologies if it was an obvious check!). I've included two cropped images again and I think they are more comparable now (both MF, OIS off and tripod mounted and several attempts taken to get the best clarity). I'll continue to look at the other issues including the sharpening.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Can I ask everyone not use the file attachment feature of the forum (which is not a photo gallery and never meant to be) for photos. We have a perfectly good forum for uploading and sharing photos.

As for these shots - the compact camera image is noisy and has been sharpened (most likely in-camera) quite aggressively. The G5 shot is devoid of noise and looks unsharpened. If John is happy to send me the original camera image I reckon I can extract a lot more out of it than we can see.

Ian
                        Founder/editor
                        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
                        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Working...
                        X