Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screw in 3rd-party hood solves polariser problem on Lumix 14mm f2.5 and other lenses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw in 3rd-party hood solves polariser problem on Lumix 14mm f2.5 and other lenses.

A tip for owners of any of the following three lenses: Lumix/Leica 14mm f2.5; Lumix/Leica Summilux 25mm f1.4; Lumix/Leica Macro Elmarit 45mm f2.8. These three lenses *the primes for my E-P2 and GH2 all have a 46mm filter thread, for which you can obtain a third-party screw in metal lens hood [very retro looking] for a under $10 [Uwinka], which is intended principally for the Lumix 14mm f2.5 and 20mm f1.7.
    This is great because the 14mm f2.5 comes sans lens hood, which for a 28m [eq.] lens is not great, given the possibilities of lens flare in wide shots from stray light sources at wide apertures.
    I often use the 14mm for skyscapes using a B&W circular polarizing filter to dramatise the clouds and cut haze. With the 3rd party lens hood screwed into the polarizing filter, you can rotate the hood in order to rotate the filter [as long as you go in the opposite direction to that which would unscrew the filter from the lens] to get the best polarizing effect.
    This works also on the Summilux 25mm and the Macro Elmarit 45 if you use the third part hood instead of the supplied Lumix plastic turn-and-click-to-lock hoods. The trouble with the supplied hoods is that you cannot access the ribbed front element on the polarizer to adjust it while the hood is on *so you frame your shot, adjust the polarizer, put on the hood and shoot; and repeat if you change your angle to the sun. Pretty clunky.
    The 14mm hood does not have as great a depth as the supplied Lumix hoods, so it would not be as efficient, but for convenience it it great.
    I wish manufacturers would supply hoods with all their lenses. Seems sort of cheap not to when the bit of glassware costs hundreds of dollars and a hood can cost under $10. I would win them friends.
Working...
X