Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SOLVED Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

    I'm currently at Photokina in Cologne, Germany and here Olympus has confirmed the arrival of the new m.Zuiko 40-150 f/2.8 Pro plus a matching 1.4x converter. US pricing is $1499.99 and $349.99, respectively.

    Hope to get UK pricing soon.

    Pictures later!

    Ian

    PS E-M1 in silver too...
    Founder/editor
    Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
    Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
    Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
    Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
    Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
    Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

  • #2
    Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

    14-150/2.8? Oi, gimme dat!! (i know.. it is a typo )
    Regards, Pavel.

    E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
    M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

      Here are some snaps from the Olympus stand:





      The new 1.4x teleconverter - note the protruding element.









      The protruding element requires a special cap.





      The hood slides back like on the 60mm macro, by the way.

      Ian
      Founder/editor
      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

        Asked at our e-group.uk.net UK site, it's likely the converter won't physically fit other existing lenses because of the protruding lens desgn, unfortunately.

        Ian
        Founder/editor
        Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
        Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
        Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
        Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
        Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
        Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
        Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

          It certainly looks a lovely & lens & combo, but maybe you should correct the thread title (from 14-150).

          Hope you enjoy your stay in Cologne.
          Ross
          I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
          Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
          Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
          Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
          Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

            Originally posted by Ross View Post
            It certainly looks a lovely & lens & combo, but maybe you should correct the thread title (from 14-150).

            Hope you enjoy your stay in Cologne.
            I agree, I had sent a P.M. to Ian when I saw that early on, but I imagine he is rather busy at the show to correct such typos until afterwards :-)

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

              Typo? What Typo? Some mitsake, surely?

              Seriously -all fixed now. Quite a laborious job has each message title has to be edited.

              Ian
              Founder/editor
              Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
              Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
              Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
              Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
              Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
              Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
              Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

                Ian, if you get the chance can you see if the lens and convertor will be sold together in the US?
                Clint

                OM-D EM-1 | Panasonic 7-14mm | Olympus 12-40mm | Panasonic 35-100mm | Olympus 50-200mm | Panasonic 25mm | Olympus 45mm

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

                  Originally posted by Clint View Post
                  Ian, if you get the chance can you see if the lens and convertor will be sold together in the US?
                  I believe there is a bundle price, but I will try to confirm although this is a European show so US info may be hard to find?

                  Ian
                  Founder/editor
                  Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
                  Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
                  Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
                  Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
                  Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
                  Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
                  Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

                    Does anyone know if the 1.4 converter will fit to the MMF3 adapter?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

                      trick question... It looks like it will only fit the new 40-150mm, f2.8 and the upcoming MFT 300 f2.8.

                      Mechanically, if it fits the MMF-3 adapter, the protruding elements will be "absorbed" by the adapter's depth, and possibly it will work with the old 300mm in front of the adapter.

                      But I have my MMF-2 in front of me right now and I believe the new converter would not fit in.

                      And i'm not talking about electronic and optics yet...

                      Best regards,

                      Rogerio

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

                        Even if the teleconverter can fit another lens (such as via the MMF adapter), it was obviously designed to work with the new 40-150 and 300mm lenses, so it's optimized to work with those specific lens designs. Teleconverters always result in some image degradation, but the loss of quality is smallest when a lens and teleconverter are "matched" to each other. So using the new TC with an older lens might yield disappointing image quality. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Olympus insist that the TC only works with these two lenses because they wouldn't want the TC to get a reputation for hurting image quality.

                        The 40-150 and TC look like beautiful pieces of kit, IMO, and they are very tempting. I'm not convinced that it's worth replacing my 50-200 SWD with them, however. AF is sure to be blazing fast with the new lens, but future MFT cameras are very likely to improve AF with the older 4/3 lenses as Olympus further develop on-chip phase detection AF. So I would see an immediate improvement with the E-M5, but maybe not so much with future cameras. So many tradeoffs . . . the 40-150 has some nice features, like constant length, MF ring, collapsing hood, and new AF motors. And it's a constant f/2.8. But it needs the TC to match the reach of the 50-200, and attaching it drops the aperture to f/4. The new lens (especially with the TC) really has no size advantage over the 50-200. And it's quite expensive, especially in comparison to spending nothing by keeping the lens I already have.

                        Temptations and tough choices! And then the 300 f/4 is on the horizon . . .

                        What are everyone else's opinions of the new lens and TC?

                        - Hal -
                        A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
                        Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

                          It looks as though Olympus did very well with what they chose, maybe one of the best lens and teleconverters they've ever developed. My "want" says go for it! The reasonable side of me says…

                          For personal use, even I did not already have the 20-200mm SWD f/2.8-3.5, the 40-150mm and MC-14 cost would probably coax me to the 50-200mm and MMF3 adapter. Even at new cost that is a USD 470 difference! And there are quite a few very good used 50-200mm and MMF3 deals out there making them very sweet in comparison.

                          On the business side, it might take me 12-24 months for a return on investment/cost. Unless the lens/TC can increase my keeper rate by 25% or more - or - the IQ is so much better that it would become obvious in my prints. I think the latter is unlikely. A two week rental will provided me the info I need. However since this would be an unplanned purchase, normally I would wait until the funds were there.

                          What would it take me to commit to a purchase today? Despite my want level, I really do not want to put cash out there that I do not need to spend. And if I do I also have the hassle of selling the 50-200mm and MMF3 adapter. The only thing I could think of that would get me to commit to buying the new 40-150mm f/2.8 and MC-14 toady would be…

                          A trade-in program.
                          Olympus or authorized dealer would take my trade in of the 50-200 SWD for USD $600 credit on the new lens. And, a trade-in credit of USD $90 for the MMF3 for the new MC-14.

                          As you said Hal, "Temptations and tought choices! And then the 300mm f/4 is on the horizon…
                          Clint

                          OM-D EM-1 | Panasonic 7-14mm | Olympus 12-40mm | Panasonic 35-100mm | Olympus 50-200mm | Panasonic 25mm | Olympus 45mm

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

                            Originally posted by hschnee View Post
                            Even if the teleconverter can fit another lens (such as via the MMF adapter), it was obviously designed to work with the new 40-150 and 300mm lenses, so it's optimized to work with those specific lens designs. Teleconverters always result in some image degradation, but the loss of quality is smallest when a lens and teleconverter are "matched" to each other. So using the new TC with an older lens might yield disappointing image quality. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Olympus insist that the TC only works with these two lenses because they wouldn't want the TC to get a reputation for hurting image quality.

                            The 40-150 and TC look like beautiful pieces of kit, IMO, and they are very tempting. I'm not convinced that it's worth replacing my 50-200 SWD with them, however. AF is sure to be blazing fast with the new lens, but future MFT cameras are very likely to improve AF with the older 4/3 lenses as Olympus further develop on-chip phase detection AF. So I would see an immediate improvement with the E-M5, but maybe not so much with future cameras. So many tradeoffs . . . the 40-150 has some nice features, like constant length, MF ring, collapsing hood, and new AF motors. And it's a constant f/2.8. But it needs the TC to match the reach of the 50-200, and attaching it drops the aperture to f/4. The new lens (especially with the TC) really has no size advantage over the 50-200. And it's quite expensive, especially in comparison to spending nothing by keeping the lens I already have.

                            Temptations and tough choices! And then the 300 f/4 is on the horizon . . .

                            What are everyone else's opinions of the new lens and TC?

                            - Hal -
                            I think that is an excellent summary, Hal.
                            View my ebook, The Light Fantastic, at: http://store.blurb.co.uk/ebooks/3026...ight-fantastic

                            John

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Olympus confirms 40-150 f/2.8 and 1.4 converter

                              Having used a wide selection on telephotos and tele-converters over the years I never paid any attention to what the makers said would or would not work. I simply went out and shot with them. If the results were good enough for editors it was a usable combination.
                              It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

                              The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X