Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help a newbie please ?

Hi,

I have an E420 with a 17.5-45mm lense and only recently started getting into the photography world by taking baby/toddler pictures for friends.
    Im after getting another lense for portrait work.. 50mm 1.8.

The Olympus lenses are above my price range but in Comet today I spotted the Nikon lense which is much cheaper. Am I right in thinking I can get an adapter to allow the Nikon to fit the Olympus? Any recommendations.

I very stupidly rushed in and bought a 50mm 1.8 Olympus Zuiko OM system lense off Ebay but it doesnt fit the camera. Can someone explain the 'OM system' please. Could you get an adapter to make that fit or am I totally on the wrong track!?

Thanks in advance

Re: Can anyone help a newbie please ?

You need the OM to 4/3 adaptor you can pick them up on ebay quiet cheap, it will only work in manual but for portrait work this will be fine. I have used olympus for over 30 years and have a large collection of OM fit lenses and still use them it would be worth getting an exposure meter if you are doing portrait work with manual lenses. I hope this has been helpful.
    Regards

Barrie Norman

To see more of my photographs please visit my website.

http://bwpn.zenfolio.com/

http://naturalhistorycambs.blogspot.com/

Digital Equipment: Olympus E1 - E30 - E-500 | EC-14 & EC-20 Teleconverter | Zukio 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 150mm F/2, 50-200mm SWD, 70-300mm | Sigma 10-20mm F/4-5.6 SLD, 18-50 f/2.8 EX DC MACRO, 150 F2.8 Macro & 50-500mm (Bigma).

Comment

Originally posted by Pigley View Post
      Hi,

I have an E420 with a 17.5-45mm lense and only recently started getting into the photography world by taking baby/toddler pictures for friends.
      Im after getting another lense for portrait work.. 50mm 1.8.

The Olympus lenses are above my price range but in Comet today I spotted the Nikon lense which is much cheaper. Am I right in thinking I can get an adapter to allow the Nikon to fit the Olympus? Any recommendations.

I very stupidly rushed in and bought a 50mm 1.8 Olympus Zuiko OM system lense off Ebay but it doesnt fit the camera. Can someone explain the 'OM system' please. Could you get an adapter to make that fit or am I totally on the wrong track!?

Thanks in advance
      The OM system was a film SLR system. The lenses will fit with an OM to Four-Thirds adapter, which are very easy to obtain (there are tons of sellers on eBay, but one of the users here could probably direct you to the best source to buy from). However, on your digital body you will only have Manual Focus with an old legacy film lens.

Four-thirds cameras, and especially Micro Four-Thirds cameras (ie, the Olympus PEN, Panasonic GF-1, etc.) allow for many legacy lenses, so if the Nikon lens you're looking at is a film lens then it probably will fit your Olympus with an adapter. If you were looking in the camera store though, then you were probably looking at one of the new digital Nikon lenses. These won't have an aperture ring, so although you could find an adapter to fit them you would only be able to shoot them wide open. Better to go with a film lens with all the rings so you have full manual control.

Also, if you're looking at a new Nikon lens which is a lot cheaper than a new Zuiko lens, that Nikon lens is going to be sh-t, to be blunt about it. It costs lots of good coin to get a decent Nikon lens, but Zuiko lenses offer high-quality at a low price. You won't get a better deal if buying new.

If you've already got an OM lens and are getting an adapter, then I would just stick with OM Zuiko lenses for a cheap alternative. They are a superior quality lens, as are the digital Zuiko lenses.
      Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Remember that your 420 has what is called a 2x crop factor. That means that a 25mm lens on your 420 will give the angle of view of a 35mm camera's 50mm lens. It's like using a 50mm on a 35mm film camera. We often note that as 4/3 25 mm has an EFL (effective focal length) of 50 mm. The OM (which was the name for Olympus' series of film SLRs) lenses can be used as noted above and they're very fine lenses. You set your camera to A or aperture mode and set the aperture just as yo do now with the thumbwheel. You then focus manually and the camera sets the correct shutter speed. You should have no trouble getting good manual focus.. Just remember to set the focus mode to M (not AFS or AFC). The adapters, the good ones are in the $30-40 range and sometimes less. Amazon now carries good adapters too. I got my OM to mFT (that's micro 4/3) adapter there.

That 50mm OM will have an effective focus length on your 420 of 100mm which is pretty good for portraits. However, if you want an EFL of 50mm Olympus has a 25mm f/28 pancake which is great for street shooting and more than capable for portraiture. It's cheap. Used under $200. It's not the ZD 50 f/2 (EFL=100mm), but then no lens in the world is (except maybe some exotic and multi-thousand dollar Leicas, and that's very maybe).

Good shooting and be sure to post some of results here.
        Last edited by fluffy; 3rd October 2010, 12:17 AM.
        Steve

Comment

"focal lenght" isn't the correct way... better is "field of view"... a 50mm will always be a 50mm. on a 1/2.33 compact digital camera, on a 43, on full frame, medium format and so on

Comment

"Could you get an adapter to make that fit or am I totally on the wrong track!?
            There is an original Olympus version, excellent quality but a bit pricy. And there are several other offers (Example: http://cgi.ebay.nl/OM-ZUIKO-lens-ada...item58889f1a6d).

There are two versions of the 50mm f1.8 - the newer ones are marked with "japan" on the front of the lens and these are really wonderful. These lenses are without auto-focus and you need to focus manually. With a bit of practices it is good to do. Put the aperture ring on f4 to start and see how it goes.

Feel free to post some result and ask for feed-back...

Martin

Comment

autowhat?
              near the filter ring (don't know exactly how to translate "filetto del filtro") you can read AUTO-S or AUTO-W or again AUTO-T... AUTO stands for auto-diaphragm... S-W-T...

the earlier models have the "silver nose"... from a specific serial no° you'll find "MC" (multicoated) next to the AUTO above... multicoated versions are the best, of course. in the latest releases (Olympus stopped OM production in 2003-2004.....!) you won't read MC but they will be. you can also spot them by the colour of the lenses... warmer on the first versions (orange/yellow), cooler in the latter (violet)

Comment

Originally posted by geronimus View Post
                near the filter ring (don't know exactly how to translate "filetto del filtro") you can read AUTO-S or AUTO-W or again AUTO-T... AUTO stands for auto-diaphragm... S-W-T...

the earlier models have the "silver nose"... from a specific serial no° you'll find "MC" (multicoated) next to the AUTO above... multicoated versions are the best, of course. in the latest releases (Olympus stopped OM production in 2003-2004.....!) you won't read MC but they will be. you can also spot them by the colour of the lenses... warmer on the first versions (orange/yellow), cooler in the latter (violet)
                Auto-Standard, Auto-Wide and Auto-Telephoto.

I'm not sure how many versions of the 50mm f1.8 there were. There was two different optical formulas plus the single and multicoated versions of the first optical configuration.
                It's the image that's important, not the tools used to make it.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies

Its great to know I havent wasted money and can use the OM lense. Saves the hassle of it going back on ebay too!
                  Ive now ordered an adapter and looking forward to that coming so I can have a play.

Next thing to research is Flashes!

Comment

Originally posted by Pigley View Post
                    Thanks for all the replies

Its great to know I havent wasted money and can use the OM lense. Saves the hassle of it going back on ebay too!
                    Ive now ordered an adapter and looking forward to that coming so I can have a play.

Next thing to research is Flashes!
                    I'm sure you will love your OM lens once you can use it!

I'm sure we can help you with your flash questions as well. First determine though, how you'd like to use it... I would of course suggest leaving it off the camera (or on a flash bracket even) and triggering it through either sync cables, TTL cables, radio trigger, the built-in remote commander, or optical slave. If you do use it on the hotshoe, then at least get a strong diffuser to soften the light... preferably something that works like a softbox.

If you don't need TTL and like to shoot in manual mode (this is best if you're using multiple flash heads), then your options on products to use is practically limitless. If you do want TTL, then your options are a little more limited, but still pretty broad.
                    Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca

Comment

Working...
                    X