Some Legacy Gems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Legacy Gems

I've been very busy on ebay recently, aquiring all manner of old lenses in various states. Today through my door dropped:

Vivitar 24mm F2.8 prime
    Tokina RMC 28mm F2.8 Prime
    Miranda 75-200mm f4.5/5.3 tele

All were OM fit (in fact the Miranda and Vivitar came with an OM10!)

Naturally I wasted no time in looking them over and fiddling. The Tokina was expected to be the best. Front element in perfect conditon, the rear has a small 1.5mm mark onthe rear element dead centre.

The Vivitar has I think possibly a little fngus on the front element, looks like very fine cracks or a miniature root system, plus it needs a damn good clean.

The Miranda was the worst off, front element full of fungus and similar (and much worse) veining like the vivitarstablemate.

On to the testing (it's overcast here so I haventbeen able to test for flare and c/a properly)

Miraculously the Miranda zoom comes out best - really good images, much, much beter than the 75-300mm version I also have, and even works well on the Tamron 2x teleconverter I have.

The Vivitar was pretty good too, about equal to the 14-42ZD in terms of sharpness.

The real downer was the Tokina. Very very fussy focussing, and not as sharp as the vivitar. Quite disappointed really as this should have been the best of the bunch!

The miranda zooms go for peanuts,
    Bodies:
    Panny GH1 + OM2-SP + Pentax ME & LX
    Lenses:
    Lumix G 14-45mm, OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8, OM Zuiko 24mm f2.8, OM Vivitar 135mm f2.8, SMC-M 40mm f2.8, SMC-M 50mm f1.7, PKA Vivitar 19mm F3.8, Konica AR 40mm f1.8, MD Rokkor 45mm F2, Teleplus 2x Macro converter OM+MD

My New Blog:
    Dark & Industrial Photography & my Flickr

Re: Some Legacy Gems

I haven't played around with other brands of lenses and I'm grateful for the insight.
    I remember buying a cine projector from ebay and the ad showed the machine working. It did, providing you ran the reel backwards.

I know of other members on the sites that Ian runs who have purchased much in pristine condition. I suppose it's luck.

Regards. Barr1e

Comment

Re: Some Legacy Gems

It's amazing what you can get for peanuts on ebay if you look!

It's also amazing what a goodclean will do - the Tokina is now up to scratch, the rear element was filthy.

I managed to find some sunlight and tetsed the Miranda to see how bad it's Fringing was, the 75-300 is pretty bad for it giving a hideous ochre fringe or really bright blue fringes off reflected light highlights (Like wet leaves in sunblight). The 75-200 is better, much reduced ochre fringe but there is a good amount of purple fringing wide open.

I decided to do a side by side comparison of my OMZ silver nose 28mm and the Tokina, and throw in the ZD14-42 again for good measure. There isn't a lot in it:

Clearly the 14-42 has much better coating though, only producing a very very small brown fringe that is barely perceiveable. The Tokina and OMZ though are both sharper and produced the most accurate colours, but did both give a noriceable blue fringe. I know it looks like the 14-42 has better contrast but it's just down to the light, the clouds are moving fast, when there was thick cloud I did the test as well and the primes both outclassed it.

So in cocnlusion the Miranda has found it's way back onto ebay, the OMZ 28mm may follow suit, and the 14-42 is still hanging on in my kit bag as the gap in performance is narrowing at the wide end.
      Bodies:
      Panny GH1 + OM2-SP + Pentax ME & LX
      Lenses:
      Lumix G 14-45mm, OM Zuiko 50mm f1.8, OM Zuiko 24mm f2.8, OM Vivitar 135mm f2.8, SMC-M 40mm f2.8, SMC-M 50mm f1.7, PKA Vivitar 19mm F3.8, Konica AR 40mm f1.8, MD Rokkor 45mm F2, Teleplus 2x Macro converter OM+MD

My New Blog:
      Dark & Industrial Photography & my Flickr

Comment

Working...
      X