Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FD confusions

hey all,

i was just wondering if someone could explain to me why adapters for FD lenses on 4/3 don't seem to work (in terms of focusing on infinity). i thought that if the flange back distance was shorter on the 4/3 camera mount than the FD (38mm vs 42mm) it should be possible to use all old FD lenses on 4/3 cameras. yet it seems like they don't work correctly even with so-called adapters. does this have to do with the crop factor of the camera (i.e. the camera's flange back must be half that of FD because the crop factor is 2x)? or am i missing something else entirely? thanks so much for reading this meandering, confused nonsense. cheers!

Re: FD confusions

Originally posted by metafold View Post
    hey all,

i was just wondering if someone could explain to me why adapters for FD lenses on 4/3 don't seem to work (in terms of focusing on infinity). i thought that if the flange back distance was shorter on the 4/3 camera mount than the FD (38mm vs 42mm) it should be possible to use all old FD lenses on 4/3 cameras. yet it seems like they don't work correctly even with so-called adapters. does this have to do with the crop factor of the camera (i.e. the camera's flange back must be half that of FD because the crop factor is 2x)? or am i missing something else entirely? thanks so much for reading this meandering, confused nonsense. cheers!

It's not just the flange distance it's also all those sticky out bits at the back of FD lenses. To stop those fouling the mirror etc. on modern cameras you need an adaptor of significant thickness. The good news is that such a thick adaptor can made for mFT and I am about to order one for my new toy

Roger

Comment

As far as I can see the problem is that the flange-back distance provided by Canon FD to Four Thirds adapters is too long and so the FD lens can't focus to infinity.

Apparently some really keen individuals have replaced the lens mount on their FD lenses to make them work properly - this means removing the FD lens mount and replacing it with an adapted mount. Not for the faint-hearted!

With Micro Four Thirds the problem goes away as the MFT flang-back distance is already halved so adapters for FD lenses are easily accommodated.

Ian
      Founder/editor
      Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
      Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
      Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
      Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
      Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
      Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
      Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post

Apparently some really keen individuals have replaced the lens mount on their FD lenses to make them work properly - this means removing the FD lens mount and replacing it with an adapted mount. Not for the faint-hearted!

Ian
        Ian,

I think that that trick of replacing the lens mount only works on "new FD" lenses and not the older breech block version, which made it a non starter for me as I only have breech block lenses

Roger

Comment

hi all!

thanks for you helpful posts! it's quite logical, i guess. those FD lenses...every one different and more mechanically devious than the next! ha ha. agreed on the m43--i think i'll switch over in that direction. next up? EVIL full-frames! ha ha. thanks again, though!

Comment

There is a lot of difference in quality between the adapters out there, not just materials and finish but functional specifications. There is a gentleman from Poland who builds various mft adapters(he also makes adapters for motion picture lens mounts) and I believe his versions are the best I have handled. Its worth looking in to. I've had no problem with infinity focus with either s.s.c. breech-lock or FD canon mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by tamoio View Post
              There is a lot of difference in quality between the adapters out there, not just materials and finish but functional specifications. There is a gentleman from Poland who builds various mft adapters(he also makes adapters for motion picture lens mounts) and I believe his versions are the best I have handled. Its worth looking in to. I've had no problem with infinity focus with either s.s.c. breech-lock or FD canon mounts.
              Do you have a link - I am very interested

roger

Comment

Originally posted by RogerMac View Post
                Do you have a link - I am very interested

roger
                http://shop.ebay.com/ciecio7/m.html?...&_trksid=p4340

Shipping to the U.S. was relatively fast and reasonable.

Comment

Working...
                X