Sigma 400mm

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sigma 400mm

With the arrival of the new Olympus 300mm f/4.0 PRO, it got me wondering just what I could get from some old glass...

It was raining, so I was inside, behind dirty double glassing, a tree is half way between me and the cormorant tree, the light is very poor... Also try to keep in mind that this is an old lens and this is a about a 75% crop from the original image, reduced down to web size...

What a difference a day makes:

As it wasn't raining the window cleaner came today...

Roughly the same distance, but nothing in the way this time. The purple CA is still very evident when the ORF is viewed at 100%, but with a quick pass through DxO Optics Pro (not that there's a profile for the lens) to "clean up" the contrast, etc.. Good light makes all the difference, but the limitations really do show that it's no match for the high quality lenses that are currently available.

Graham

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to

Re: Sigma 400mm

So, will you be buying the new Olympus 300? Personally, I would like to have one, but I'm put off by the cost, which is much higher than I expected. It's hard to justify given my casual use.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

Working...
    X