EVF and reading glasses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EVF and reading glasses

Not strictly an accessory, but I wasn't sure what forum would be best.

If you use reading glasses, do you leave them on or take them off to look through an EVF?

For a normal optical viewfinder they come off, but not having used an EVF for over 10 years (when my eyes worked better than they do today) I am wondering whether, if I buy an OMD-EM1, whether I'll be forever taking them off off and putting them on as I am with looking between the optical viewfinder and control panel displays on my E-5.
    Web: www.ivorphotography.co.uk

Olympus E-M5ii, E-5

Re: EVF and reading glasses

Optical and electronic viewfinders should be identical as far as glasses are concerned. Just about all viewfinders are designed to have an apparent viewing distance of about 1 meter, and nearly all have a diopter correction so that you can customize them as needed/desired. I wear bifocals, and I have always used my distance prescription for my cameras, film or digital, OVF or EVF.

- Hal -
    A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
    Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

Thank-you, Hal!

I can adjust the diopter on my E-5 so I can see in the distant objects with my glasses on, which great if I am not walking about. It's ideal to leave them on for shooting landscapes, using a tripod in rapidly changing light and when I want to see the control panels to check exposure settings, histogram and/or use live view.

But I can't do anything other than read with my glasses on. So, if I am on a photo walk I have to adjust the diopter to match my good long vision, but then I have no chance of seeing the control panels.

I wasn't really sure how it would work with an EVF. Now I know!

Thanks again.

Ivor

Olympus E-M5ii, E-5

Comment

Originally posted by Ivor View Post
        Thank-you, Hal!

I can adjust the diopter on my E-5 so I can see in the distant objects with my glasses on, which great if I am not walking about. It's ideal to leave them on for shooting landscapes, using a tripod in rapidly changing light and when I want to see the control panels to check exposure settings, histogram and/or use live view.

But I can't do anything other than read with my glasses on. So, if I am on a photo walk I have to adjust the diopter to match my good long vision, but then I have no chance of seeing the control panels.

I wasn't really sure how it would work with an EVF. Now I know!

Thanks again.

Ivor
        Maybe it's time for something like bifocal glasses (or multifocal which I hate). The upper, long distance can be left neutral correction while the lower section is ground for reading. I had to go that way several years ago but could not get on with multifocal lenses (no hard edge from close to long distance) but the bifocal works for me (albeit looking over the reading section to walk along).
        Ross
        I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
        Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
        Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
        Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
        Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

I have got myself one of those dangle-your-glasses-around-your-neck things, which are working for me at the moment, although I am a bit worried about being mistaken for a Larry Grayson tribute act!

Olympus E-M5ii, E-5

Comment

I use varifocal glasses with reactive coatings. The only problem I find is on bright days with the lens darkened they make the EVF dark so I have to lift my glasses to see clearly which Is a nuisance

Wee Man
            Ed.

The early bird gets the worm , but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Comment

Originally posted by Wee man View Post
              I use varifocal glasses with reactive coatings. The only problem I find is on bright days with the lens darkened they make the EVF dark so I have to lift my glasses to see clearly which Is a nuisance

Wee Man
              That's where the pain of carrying clip on polarised sunnies in your pocket pays off.
              Ross
              I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
              Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
              Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
              Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
              Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).

Comment

Working...
              X