Battery charger

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Battery charger

** Its been a long standing problem to charge Oly batteries using third party chargers..
    So my query:
    Has anybody used the Hahnel battery chargers to charge the the battery for the OMD bodies..BLN-1
    the charger says it will charge ..

" Charges practically all Lithium Ion 3.6V/3.7V & 7.2V/7.4V and AA/AAA Ni-MH/Ni-Cd batteries"

...but the OEM BLN-1 is rated at 7.6v (so perhaps a not so fully charged result)

here's the link to the target charger that i'm looking at:

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=...id=169&pId=169

Regards.
    E510, E3, E-PL1,E620 ,E-5,OM-D
    50-200SWD, 14-54Mk1, 50mm f2. 35mm,70-300mm,12-60mmSWD,PL-25mm-1.4,150mm-F2
    MFT: 14-42(kit)/12mm/45mm

Re: Battery charger

I had this one in my backpack and it charged the Oly batteries as well as third party batteries (I had 4 batteries).

http://www.amazon.de/PATONA-Akku-Ladeger%C3%A4t-USB-Olympus-BLN-1-black/dp/B00986KKK2

What I liked on my trip was the possibility to charge via USB because I had two 10Ah power packs with me. The original Oly charger was quite useless because AC was not available most of the time ...

Christof

Comment

That's one very well worked out charger that you've given the link too..had some difficulty with the language but after some translation .. I think a lot more olympus users should check this product out..

unfortunately it does not ship to India

Meanwhile I've ordered the Hahnel..i should have it with me by monday and will update on how that performs (if at all)

My main requirement for such a device was because i'll be out for a month trekking with no question of power supply grids for at least two weeks..and so i want to rely on (like you mentioned ) USB voltages which are easy to carry as phone power banks..so i've also factored in a solar panel to charge the power banks..
      Just Hope My camera keeps running

Thanks a ton for the Patona device information..i had never come across it in all my searches (because i was searching in English )

Regards

Comment

Hi Raj,
        Those numbers in your first post are for voltages when a battery is depleted. The numbers to compare are charger output voltages, which are difficult to obtain without reading directly from what's printed on the charger. I don't have a BLN battery or charger, but these larger cameras use batteries that are fully charged at 8.3 or 8.4 volts. A tenth of a volt can make break a battery. That Hahnel device looks designed for devices that use 3.7 volt batteries only (which are charged at five volts and are full at 4.8 or so).
        That being said, when off the grid I've used a solar panel with a Wasabi charger. The latter includes a DC input and circuitry to change the 12-16 volt panel output down to 8.3 for the battery. Is not convenient, but it works, at least when the sun is shining!

Comment

Originally posted by Raj Surin View Post
          That's one very well worked out charger that you've given the link too..had some difficulty with the language but after some translation .. I think a lot more olympus users should check this product out..

unfortunately it does not ship to India

Thanks a ton for the Patona device information..i had never come across it in all my searches (because i was searching in English )

Regards
          I guess it comes from China actually, it sells under many many different names. In Germany it is Patona but in other countries?

I also found a copy on amazon.com with another brand name. Its an universal charger (the old version was cheap and was sold with batteries) and the new version has the very nice USB ports (both are usable, micro-USB and USB-A as well)

Christof

Comment

The Hahnel Charger ..arrived ..yesterday evening..unfortunately i had no Oly battery which was discharged..

Finally .. pleasant surprise..It works..on both OEM as well as third party BLN-1.

Now to see if the charge is as good as from the OLY charger.

The good things about this charger:

1. it charges from a USB source..that's 5 volts..uses a micro-usb connector. The only thing supplied in-the -box.
            2. It has its own reservoir Battery that it can use for charging when there is no supply (even USB, laptops etc )..The specs say it has a 2200mAH battery inside..assuming its a regular Li-ion setup that should br 2200mAh at 3.7v..our OLY battery is 7.6v ..so it should just about be able to charge one BLN-1 to roughly once to a capacity of 1100mAh. (hope i've got my math right).

3. charging time should be the same as for any Li-ion Batt...about two hours.

4. I am actually able to charge the device (internal batt) using a solar panel which is designed to charge its own 8000mAh batt. in about 5 hours (full daylight sun)..so this should fill up in less time.

So far all this is seeming to fall in place.

What i need to check is how many shots i get out of one charge vs when i charge via regular OLY charger.

Till now I've tried out three variants of the Oly batteries..BLN-1 BLM-1, BLM-5 and BLS-1...That covers the Pen Series cameras the E-3 and E-5 and all OMD's..Yet to check the BLS-5 (can't trace that in the house)...In fact all 4/3 rds and micro-4/3 rds get covered.

..yes it can also charge regular AA rechargeables.
            and It also has a regular USB socket for charging Handphones..Tablets etc.
            The instruction manual ..as in most such products..is not thorough..
            The Oly battery ( or any Li-ion Battery ) is not well clamped/gripped well to maintain charging contact..slight shakes can disconnect the charging contacts..will need a rubber or velcro strap to prevent battery from disconnecting.

So far i am quite happy, will fill in more in a few days.

regards.

Comment

Thanks for the report, Raj. I'm glad the charger seems to be working well for you.

- Hal -
              A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
              Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.

Comment

Raj, you’ve found an excellent replacement. I don’t really ever trust the Chinese manufacturers, especially when it comes to electronics because they always use very low grade electronics components which tend to blowout quickly. Anyways, if it’s working for, I guess having a universal charger like this isn’t a very bad idea. Thank you for sharing all the charging times, they are quite motivating to be honest.

Comment

Have you considered that a lot of Olympus and other manufacturers camera kit is made in China does the same not apply?
                  Ed.

The early bird gets the worm , but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Comment

Working...
                  X