Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Olympus E-System Four Thirds DSLRs plus Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds compact system cameras > E-1

Old 26th July 2007
marcof

E-1 infra red conversion (Copied from E-400 board)

I've copied this from the E-400 board as it's of interest to E-1 users; an E-1 that has been converted for infra red photography. - Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The IR conversions sounds interesting. Does that require the removal of the IR filter in front of the sensor? How does that affect the Supersonic Wave filter anti-dust feature?

Ian

PS Love to see some of your IR pix
The IR cut filter is replaced by an IR-pass filter (in my case a filter that passes light beyond 780nm), the conversion has no real influence on the SSWF. Check out a detailed description of the process here

Sample IR .. hmm.. here's a snapshot

Marco
Old 20th November 2007
Unregistered

Re: E-1 infra red conversion (Copied from E-400 board)

Hi All

Is there anyone in the UK who does the coversions comercially or would consider doing so? I tryed Life Pix in the US but they wont touch any Olympus models as they are apparently not popular enough

Steve
Old 20th November 2007
admin

Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi All

Is there anyone in the UK who does the coversions comercially or would consider doing so? I tryed Life Pix in the US but they wont touch any Olympus models as they are apparently not popular enough

Steve
Steve - have you tried to register on the forum unsuccessfully? There is a Steve that hasn't completed the registration procedure yet - if so, let me know if I can help

Ian
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 20th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcof View Post
I've copied this from the E-400 board as it's of interest to E-1 users; an E-1 that has been converted for infra red photography. - Ian

The IR cut filter is replaced by an IR-pass filter (in my case a filter that passes light beyond 780nm), the conversion has no real influence on the SSWF. Check out a detailed description of the process here

Sample IR .. hmm.. here's a snapshot

Marco
You know, I like your image. I'm surprising myself here because most of the IR photography i've seen so far has been slightly boring!

No offence to anyone, but there's something about the medium that makes people take photos they wouldn't consider taking otherwise. It's a bit like the effect watercolours have on an artist. Suddenly you get little pictures of flowers or wishy washy landscapes! In IR photography, it seems to be empty fields with a few random trees.

Anyway, I apologize for being so opinionated, and would like to know if you are still subject to long exposure times for this type of photography after the conversion, or whether the camera can be used handheld.
Old 20th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi All

Steve
Finally registered. Appologies. Im intrested in creative photography and with my e-400 im not getting the best results using a Hoya R72 filter so picking up an E12 and converting it seems like the most sensible choice over the nikjon route.
Old 20th November 2007
marcof

Quote:
Originally Posted by bammo View Post
You know, I like your image. I'm surprising myself here because most of the IR photography i've seen so far has been slightly boring!

No offence to anyone, but there's something about the medium that makes people take photos they wouldn't consider taking otherwise. It's a bit like the effect watercolours have on an artist. Suddenly you get little pictures of flowers or wishy washy landscapes! In IR photography, it seems to be empty fields with a few random trees.

Anyway, I apologize for being so opinionated, and would like to know if you are still subject to long exposure times for this type of photography after the conversion, or whether the camera can be used handheld.
I actually agree. Most infrared is "boring" landscape stuff. However, the effect on human skin is very nice, so that's what my plan is. And no, after modification there's no more long exposure times. I can shoot at "normal" speeds.
Old 20th November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I actually agree. Most infrared is "boring" landscape stuff. However, the effect on human skin is very nice, so that's what my plan is. And no, after modification there's no more long exposure times. I can shoot at "normal" speeds.
Now you've done it! I now quite fancy modifying a camera just to play with infared.

It's a crying shame about the cash levels in my bank account. Time to quit smoking and get a better job!
Old 21st November 2007
marcof

fyi, the image above was shot at 1/1000s at F/7
Old 21st November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
fyi, the image above was shot at 1/1000s at F/7
Ok, cheers for that. Definitely no probs with shutter speed then.
Old 21st November 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If there are no companies willing to carry out the conversion where can the filter be purchased for a DIY conversion