Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > FTU Noticeboard > Articles highlighted from near and far > Recently published FTU articles

Recently published FTU articles Keep up to date with the latest FTU articles and contribute your comments.

Old 14th September 2010
Ageing by the day

Liked 123 Times in 58 Posts
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
Hi Barr1e

According to the Olympus UK website, the box contents do not include the battery pack.
Thanks so much.

Regards. Barr1e
Old 14th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Thirds User editorial team View Post
The long-awaited successor to the Olympus E-3 flagship DSLR, the E-5, is revealed today. We've spent some time evaluating a pre-production sample. Evolutionary rather than revolutionary, the E-5 is a solid development of the E-3 but has Olympus done enough?

More...
Is that the lot for Photokina? A warmed over E3 that could have been launched over a year ago.....or are there more interesting products at the actual show from Olympus??.......
Old 14th September 2010
admin

Liked 60 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22 View Post
Is that the lot for Photokina? A warmed over E3 that could have been launched over a year ago.....or are there more interesting products at the actual show from Olympus??.......
Olympus did announce two new Micro Four Thirds lenses last month, plus a new E-P2 bundle.

http://fourthirds-user.com/2010/08/o...ck_ep2_kit.php

Ian
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 14th September 2010
admin

Liked 60 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsoly View Post
Thank you. Oh yes I see the small slotted vent on the card bay door. So it's either there or on the left side ( aboove the external connection ports) where there are also small (circular) vents.

Thanks also for your other comments and looking forward to reading any interview etc. once you can get round to it.

I have planned myself to go to Photokina - maybe I could have chance to say hello to you (in person).

Chr
We can certainly try to meet up at Photokina, but I do have a hectic schedule!

I will PM you about this later.

Ian
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 14th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Olympus did announce two new Micro Four Thirds lenses last month, plus a new E-P2 bundle.

http://fourthirds-user.com/2010/08/o...ck_ep2_kit.php

Ian
I was thinking of something a bit more interesting than two slow consumer zooms and an exisiting camera sprayed in black - Any modular bodies, or Pens with built in EVFs.....or larger sensor concepts like Super 4/3s?
Old 14th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
The E-5 basically kills off the E-30 in the product range. I really like using the E-30, so for me the E-5 promises an even better experience than the E-30.

I will use the video capability, the TruePic V+ image processor and modified anti-aliasing looks promising (I'm told this goes beyond what has been already achieved with the Pens).

But some things do disappoint me; I was really hoping for a next generation sensor. We don't even have the sensor from the Panasonic Lumix GH1. I also hoped for a faster shooting rate. 5fps is now only barely adequate.

Ian
Hi Ian I don't see why this kills off the E-30 range. I waited for the E-3 in anticipation, but when it came it was too much of a lump for me to want to carry it and ergonomics is 1/2 the choice

I still like the e-5xx size and the 4xx and 6xx are too small for my hands so I've ended up with the E-30 as the current spec that suits me.

So there well may be opportunities for a downsized version in one of the other formats. In fact I'd like to ask Olympus to put out something in every format (not that I expect them to do so) as I think a full range at the latest image capture spec would do a lot to get them on the front of the magazines more often and therefore generate some real buzz about what are really excellent cameras.

Bring on the 530, 630 and e-40 I say

Regards
Andy
Old 14th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dang! this doesn't sound too promising for Olympus. I have an e-510 and I'm due for an upgrade . . . I'm now wondering if it's time to leave the four thirds world before I have too much invested . . .
Old 14th September 2010
Administrator

Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane margetts View Post
Dang! this doesn't sound too promising for Olympus. I have an e-510 and I'm due for an upgrade . . . I'm now wondering if it's time to leave the four thirds world before I have too much invested . . .
Hi Diane,

What else was you expecting to see/would have liked to have seen in the new E-5?

John
Old 15th September 2010
Gone to the Dark Side

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ReggieB

Well, I haven't posted on here in quite a long time, but the E-5 has drawn me back. My L1 has bitten the dust, and my E-3 is going to likely become my backup body very soon. I was hoping that it would back up an e-5, but I think I am going to switch systems. Can't justify this expense when I can dig around and find a lightly used D3 for the same price. It is a sad day. I LOVE both Oly and PanaLeica glass. But this camera just can't stack up to the D3, a camera that has been out for quite a long time now, long enough that, again, I can get it for this price.

I will use the E-3 more as a long range (safari) and bad weather camera, while the D3 will be low-light, and possible underwater camera. Sorry Oly, you have fallen too far behind.

Nikon D3s | D7100 | Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8G | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro
Panasonic DMC-L1 | PanaLeica 25 f/1.4
Panasonic GF5 | 20 f/1.7 II

All images hosted courtesy of Flickr
Old 15th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I cant say I am overly surprised at the spec levels of the E-5 but left somewhat deflated. I bought an E-3 circa 6 months ago and find certain aspects of it frustrating but I bought with the full intention of letting me get used to a Pro-Spec Olympus camera such that I could trade up to the E-5 when it was launched, I got it for a good price with the 12-60 so was confident it would retain the bulk of its value for reselling. When I bought it I seriously thought about changing camps but decided to stay.

Only one thing will make be buy the E-5 and that is significantly improved noise performance, an issue I have not seen any one raise as I skim read this article. I do see it mentioned in other articles but I will reserve judgement. That along with the previously mentioned sluggish performance in C-AF mode which drives me nuts would be great for me. Other disappointing things for me are the lack of a function wheel, I thought that might return.

The biggest single disappointment for me though in the E-5 is that there is nothing revolutionary, surely thats a first for a major re-launch of an Olympus camera, especially one 3 years in the making. The list of predicted/rumoured/wishlist spec levels and features has not materialised. The use of the True V+ engine would appear to be the only real step forward if claims about sharpness, noise etc are correct. But lets face it when you invest in a system and you see other competitors leaving you standing by the advancements they are making, Canon E-7 is an excellent example and it will be circa 400 less, ok not the same build quality but it is weather sealed.

I know you should be concerned with what you can get with your camera and not worry about other manufacturers but I exist in a camera club and have a pal who like me used to use an E-510. He recently upped to an 7D and I tried like hell to convince him that in many situations his E-510 would perform as adequately. I knew I was not convincing him neither was I convincing myself. His low light noise performance is superb and the E-3 could not get close, I know, we tried like for like. I know there are certain types of image I want to take but I know the E-3 just cant do it.

I have read a few other articles and I cannot help but agree with the sentiment of some of them and that is the E-series days are numbered, they've fought a losing battle and this was their last stab at it and for me it will in all likelihood be a massive disappointment, and I expect reviews when launched to be less than complimentary. I don't expect significant noise improvement, if there was Olympus would be singing about it.

I feel like they guy who bought a Betamax video recorder or a Toshiba HDDVD player, slightly dramatic but that's how I feel. I bought into Olympus but it seems from this effort they are no longer investing or no longer able to invest in their DSLR customer base. I think we have now established the 4/3rds system cannot be stretched or enhanced beyond what the E-5 offers and commercially I predict this will be a disaster, I think Olympus know that too hence the obvious lack of innovation in this camera. Every single key spec level of this camera has either been equalled or beaten by its serious competitors in models considerably older than this. There is not one feature in the E-5 that would make me want to upgrade from an E-3, not one, not even Art Filters, jee whiz. Olympus were innovators, how many "firsts" did they have in their earlier bodies, articulating screens, fastest autofocus, etc. I don't think there is one first in this camera and that is its only first. I am sure people will stay loyal and good luck to them and I wont argue back on that score, not because I cant but because I respect peoples right to hold an opinion. I will await with interest for noise comparison images, but I will not hold my breath.

The End, I think.