Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > FTU Noticeboard > Articles highlighted from near and far > Recently published FTU articles

Recently published FTU articles Keep up to date with the latest FTU articles and contribute your comments.

Old 22nd September 2010
Gone to the Dark Side

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ReggieB
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Surin View Post
The switching over from XD to SD cards is a welcome feature..and i wonder if any other brand has got the feature of using two cards in the same body (good standby during long sessions).
I am pretty sure the D3 has dual SD slots, AND they can be set to mirror each other, which is HUGE, I am praying for that in this body.

Nikon D3s | D7100 | Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8G | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro
Panasonic DMC-L1 | PanaLeica 25 f/1.4
Panasonic GF5 | 20 f/1.7 II

All images hosted courtesy of Flickr
Old 22nd September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphoto View Post
-720p movie mode with only 30fps is really outdated in my opinion.
Professional (what's in the name) systems for television aren't going any further due to the fact that they still use older standards. Second, a movie on 1050 is nice, but will be a problem for upload to a www system because its too big.

Quote:
-11 AF points to 7Ds 19 and of course Nikons 51 point system is not that much, but if they have really pushed this system then I could live with 11, not a big deal. With E-3 I've never used the all point AF-system, because it doesn't work the way I'd like to, so if it works now, great.
The E-3 does have an 88 point system. Its a matter of how you write your specification and this is not the strongest point of Olympus.

Quote:
But for these reasons the price is quite outrageous if it stays at the announced level (1700). Comparing Finnish prices for a few cameras:
The specification says about 1700 dollar, that's about 1300 Euro.
Old 22nd September 2010
Gone to the Dark Side

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I think the price problem, at $1,700 USD (even if it is less in Euros), is still there. I am not sure I agree with Robert's logic earlier in the thread. He can charge more for his shots, not just because it is a different product than Wal-Mart's photo studio, but because it is a better product (and perceived as such by his customers, this is the real key). Oly can charge $1,700, and get people who already have a lot of sunk cost in Oly glass. But come on, if you are new to photography or stepping up from a P&S, and your options are as follows: Olympus E-3 ($1,700), Nikon D7000 ($1,300), and Canon 7D ($1,300), are you going to pay a premium for the Oly? Especially if you are moving up from a P&S which was most likely not an Olympus, and there is at least a fighting chance it was a Canon or a Nikon?

Robert's argument for niche products makes sense if there is an area where the consumer perceives the product has an advantage. m4/3 undercuts them on their size advantage (and the E-5 is big any way), in terms of hearts and minds in that price bracket, CaNikon have a strangle hold. And Oly has done little here to convince that they have a significant advantage over the D7000 or 7D, but charge a hefty premium (at least plan to now) for the camera. We know where their niche is, the best glass on the market, but the average consumer doesn't. And we have all been to camera shops, there might be people at B&H's brick and mortar that know cameras, but how clueless is your local Ritz/Wolf/whatever? We even saw a new poster was told that Panny's m4/3 lenses don't work on Pens at a camera store. It is sad the level of knowledge at these chains, and I know from experience they will push the CaNikon on you like there is no tomorrow. I come in with my camera, and they push CaNikon on me.

Perhaps they have given up on converting new minds to 4/3, and are instead shifting the hearts and minds battle to m4/3, and are charging this in a limited run camera to squeeze us already in the system a little more, but I would like to think that isn't the case!

Nikon D3s | D7100 | Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8G | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro

Old 22nd September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
I think the price problem, at $1,700 USD (even if it is less in Euros), is still there. I am not sure I agree with Robert's logic earlier in the thread. He can charge more for his shots, not just because it is a different product than Wal-Mart's photo studio, but because it is a better product (and perceived as such by his customers, this is the real key). Oly can charge $1,700, and get people who already have a lot of sunk cost in Oly glass. But come on, if you are new to photography or stepping up from a P&S, and your options are as follows: Olympus E-3 ($1,700), Nikon D7000 ($1,300), and Canon 7D ($1,300), are you going to pay a premium for the Oly? Especially if you are moving up from a P&S which was most likely not an Olympus, and there is at least a fighting chance it was a Canon or a Nikon?

Robert's argument for niche products makes sense if there is an area where the consumer perceives the product has an advantage. m4/3 undercuts them on their size advantage (and the E-5 is big any way), in terms of hearts and minds in that price bracket, CaNikon have a strangle hold. And Oly has done little here to convince that they have a significant advantage over the D7000 or 7D, but charge a hefty premium (at least plan to now) for the camera. We know where their niche is, the best glass on the market, but the average consumer doesn't. And we have all been to camera shops, there might be people at B&H's brick and mortar that know cameras, but how clueless is your local Ritz/Wolf/whatever? We even saw a new poster was told that Panny's m4/3 lenses don't work on Pens at a camera store. It is sad the level of knowledge at these chains, and I know from experience they will push the CaNikon on you like there is no tomorrow. I come in with my camera, and they push CaNikon on me.

Perhaps they have given up on converting new minds to 4/3, and are instead shifting the hearts and minds battle to m4/3, and are charging this in a limited run camera to squeeze us already in the system a little more, but I would like to think that isn't the case!
Agree with you on the price being the sticky wicket. I don't understand it considering what the competition is offering. Perhaps before it hits the streets Olympus has time to reconsider. Here's hoping...
DISCLAIMER: Any advice, opinions, information, or data contained in this post should not be used or relied upon without rigorous independent analysis by the reader as to correctness and applicability to the reader's requirements. Any use of, or reliance upon the contents of this post is solely at the reader's own risk.
Old 22nd September 2010
Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Bear

Quote:
I am pretty sure the D3 has dual SD slots, AND they can be set to mirror each other, which is HUGE, I am praying for that in this body.
D3 has dual CF clots, same as D3s. These can be configured as you want. One as overflow for the other, one to record RAW and the other JPEG, on for stills, one for video etc. SD cards cannot be used, perhaps with an SD-CF adapter but i wouldn't want to chance that !
Old 22nd September 2010
Gone to the Dark Side

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
D3 has dual CF clots, same as D3s. These can be configured as you want. One as overflow for the other, one to record RAW and the other JPEG, on for stills, one for video etc. SD cards cannot be used, perhaps with an SD-CF adapter but i wouldn't want to chance that !
I stand corrected, knew it had dual something, because Ken Rockwell said so!

Old 22nd September 2010
Lost in (RGB) Space

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
I think the price problem, at $1,700 USD (even if it is less in Euros), is still there.
Yes it is. I am looking for a more capable camera than my E-620 and the E-5 is too costly. I don't necessarily need weather proofing, but I do need an articulated LCD, so maybe I should hope for some new E-6xx upgrade?
On the other hand, I don't have a problem with mixing different brands in my camera bag. If I can find a camera (with 1 or 2 lenses) that will supplement my current setup at a right price I'll go for it.
Old 22nd September 2010
Animal Portraitist

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki View Post
Agree with you on the price being the sticky wicket. I don't understand it considering what the competition is offering. Perhaps before it hits the streets Olympus has time to reconsider. Here's hoping...
I'm not holding my breath on that one. When the E-30 came out, it was also priced ridiculously high. The price dropped significantly over time, but it took a long time to come down to be in line with the competition. I also don't understand it. Maybe Olympus are trying to make the most profit possible from those who insist on being early adopters, but I think the strategy is counterproductive in the long run--it hurts market penetration and leaves the impression that Olympus gear is overpriced.

- Hal -
The Following User Says Thank You to hschnee For This Useful Post:
click-click (22nd September 2010)
Old 22nd September 2010
Gone to the Dark Side

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
I'm not holding my breath on that one. When the E-30 came out, it was also priced ridiculously high. The price dropped significantly over time, but it took a long time to come down to be in line with the competition. I also don't understand it. Maybe Olympus are trying to make the most profit possible from those who insist on being early adopters, but I think the strategy is counterproductive in the long run--it hurts market penetration and leaves the impression that Olympus gear is overpriced.

- Hal -
As I recall, it even caused the E-3 to jump up in price.

Old 22nd September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschnee View Post

- Hal -
I just pre-ordered, so am fully committed to this camera. Yeah, I probably paid too much, but I really want to get my hands on it.
DISCLAIMER: Any advice, opinions, information, or data contained in this post should not be used or relied upon without rigorous independent analysis by the reader as to correctness and applicability to the reader's requirements. Any use of, or reliance upon the contents of this post is solely at the reader's own risk.