Advertisements


Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > FTU Noticeboard > Articles highlighted from near and far > Recently published FTU articles

Recently published FTU articles Keep up to date with the latest FTU articles and contribute your comments.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #111  
Old 22nd September 2010
ReggieB's Avatar
ReggieB ReggieB is offline
Gone to the Dark Side
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Holy City
Posts: 1,152
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 68
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Likes: 1
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ReggieB
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj Surin View Post
The switching over from XD to SD cards is a welcome feature..and i wonder if any other brand has got the feature of using two cards in the same body (good standby during long sessions).
I am pretty sure the D3 has dual SD slots, AND they can be set to mirror each other, which is HUGE, I am praying for that in this body.
__________________
~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D7100 | Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8G | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro
Panasonic DMC-L1 | PanaLeica 25 f/1.4
Panasonic GF5 | 20 f/1.7 II


All images hosted courtesy of Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 22nd September 2010
Joop Joop is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 83
Thanks: 0
Thanked 12 Times in 2 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphoto View Post
-720p movie mode with only 30fps is really outdated in my opinion.
Professional (what's in the name) systems for television aren't going any further due to the fact that they still use older standards. Second, a movie on 1050 is nice, but will be a problem for upload to a www system because its too big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphoto View Post
-11 AF points to 7Ds 19 and of course Nikons 51 point system is not that much, but if they have really pushed this system then I could live with 11, not a big deal. With E-3 I've never used the all point AF-system, because it doesn't work the way I'd like to, so if it works now, great.
The E-3 does have an 88 point system. Its a matter of how you write your specification and this is not the strongest point of Olympus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphoto View Post
But for these reasons the price is quite outrageous if it stays at the announced level (1700). Comparing Finnish prices for a few cameras:
The specification says about 1700 dollar, that's about 1300 Euro.
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 22nd September 2010
ReggieB's Avatar
ReggieB ReggieB is offline
Gone to the Dark Side
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Holy City
Posts: 1,152
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 68
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Likes: 1
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ReggieB
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

I think the price problem, at $1,700 USD (even if it is less in Euros), is still there. I am not sure I agree with Robert's logic earlier in the thread. He can charge more for his shots, not just because it is a different product than Wal-Mart's photo studio, but because it is a better product (and perceived as such by his customers, this is the real key). Oly can charge $1,700, and get people who already have a lot of sunk cost in Oly glass. But come on, if you are new to photography or stepping up from a P&S, and your options are as follows: Olympus E-3 ($1,700), Nikon D7000 ($1,300), and Canon 7D ($1,300), are you going to pay a premium for the Oly? Especially if you are moving up from a P&S which was most likely not an Olympus, and there is at least a fighting chance it was a Canon or a Nikon?

Robert's argument for niche products makes sense if there is an area where the consumer perceives the product has an advantage. m4/3 undercuts them on their size advantage (and the E-5 is big any way), in terms of hearts and minds in that price bracket, CaNikon have a strangle hold. And Oly has done little here to convince that they have a significant advantage over the D7000 or 7D, but charge a hefty premium (at least plan to now) for the camera. We know where their niche is, the best glass on the market, but the average consumer doesn't. And we have all been to camera shops, there might be people at B&H's brick and mortar that know cameras, but how clueless is your local Ritz/Wolf/whatever? We even saw a new poster was told that Panny's m4/3 lenses don't work on Pens at a camera store. It is sad the level of knowledge at these chains, and I know from experience they will push the CaNikon on you like there is no tomorrow. I come in with my camera, and they push CaNikon on me.

Perhaps they have given up on converting new minds to 4/3, and are instead shifting the hearts and minds battle to m4/3, and are charging this in a limited run camera to squeeze us already in the system a little more, but I would like to think that isn't the case!
__________________
~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D7100 | Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8G | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro
Panasonic DMC-L1 | PanaLeica 25 f/1.4
Panasonic GF5 | 20 f/1.7 II


All images hosted courtesy of Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 22nd September 2010
Kiki Kiki is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sunny Orlando!
Posts: 55
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
I think the price problem, at $1,700 USD (even if it is less in Euros), is still there. I am not sure I agree with Robert's logic earlier in the thread. He can charge more for his shots, not just because it is a different product than Wal-Mart's photo studio, but because it is a better product (and perceived as such by his customers, this is the real key). Oly can charge $1,700, and get people who already have a lot of sunk cost in Oly glass. But come on, if you are new to photography or stepping up from a P&S, and your options are as follows: Olympus E-3 ($1,700), Nikon D7000 ($1,300), and Canon 7D ($1,300), are you going to pay a premium for the Oly? Especially if you are moving up from a P&S which was most likely not an Olympus, and there is at least a fighting chance it was a Canon or a Nikon?

Robert's argument for niche products makes sense if there is an area where the consumer perceives the product has an advantage. m4/3 undercuts them on their size advantage (and the E-5 is big any way), in terms of hearts and minds in that price bracket, CaNikon have a strangle hold. And Oly has done little here to convince that they have a significant advantage over the D7000 or 7D, but charge a hefty premium (at least plan to now) for the camera. We know where their niche is, the best glass on the market, but the average consumer doesn't. And we have all been to camera shops, there might be people at B&H's brick and mortar that know cameras, but how clueless is your local Ritz/Wolf/whatever? We even saw a new poster was told that Panny's m4/3 lenses don't work on Pens at a camera store. It is sad the level of knowledge at these chains, and I know from experience they will push the CaNikon on you like there is no tomorrow. I come in with my camera, and they push CaNikon on me.

Perhaps they have given up on converting new minds to 4/3, and are instead shifting the hearts and minds battle to m4/3, and are charging this in a limited run camera to squeeze us already in the system a little more, but I would like to think that isn't the case!
Agree with you on the price being the sticky wicket. I don't understand it considering what the competition is offering. Perhaps before it hits the streets Olympus has time to reconsider. Here's hoping...
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Any advice, opinions, information, or data contained in this post should not be used or relied upon without rigorous independent analysis by the reader as to correctness and applicability to the reader's requirements. Any use of, or reliance upon the contents of this post is solely at the reader's own risk.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 22nd September 2010
Bear Bear is offline
Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Malaga
Posts: 3,756
Thanks: 9
Thanked 52 Times in 39 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Bear
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
I am pretty sure the D3 has dual SD slots, AND they can be set to mirror each other, which is HUGE, I am praying for that in this body.
D3 has dual CF clots, same as D3s. These can be configured as you want. One as overflow for the other, one to record RAW and the other JPEG, on for stills, one for video etc. SD cards cannot be used, perhaps with an SD-CF adapter but i wouldn't want to chance that !
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 22nd September 2010
ReggieB's Avatar
ReggieB ReggieB is offline
Gone to the Dark Side
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Holy City
Posts: 1,152
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 68
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Likes: 1
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ReggieB
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
D3 has dual CF clots, same as D3s. These can be configured as you want. One as overflow for the other, one to record RAW and the other JPEG, on for stills, one for video etc. SD cards cannot be used, perhaps with an SD-CF adapter but i wouldn't want to chance that !
I stand corrected, knew it had dual something, because Ken Rockwell said so!
__________________
~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D7100 | Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8G | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro
Panasonic DMC-L1 | PanaLeica 25 f/1.4
Panasonic GF5 | 20 f/1.7 II


All images hosted courtesy of Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 22nd September 2010
click-click's Avatar
click-click click-click is offline
Lost in (RGB) Space
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 756
Thanks: 102
Thanked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post
I think the price problem, at $1,700 USD (even if it is less in Euros), is still there.
Yes it is. I am looking for a more capable camera than my E-620 and the E-5 is too costly. I don't necessarily need weather proofing, but I do need an articulated LCD, so maybe I should hope for some new E-6xx upgrade?
On the other hand, I don't have a problem with mixing different brands in my camera bag. If I can find a camera (with 1 or 2 lenses) that will supplement my current setup at a right price I'll go for it.
__________________
GF1 / E-5 / TM900
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old 22nd September 2010
hschnee's Avatar
hschnee hschnee is offline
Animal Portraitist
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Posts: 2,187
Thanks: 278
Thanked 179 Times in 139 Posts
Likes: 35
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiki View Post
Agree with you on the price being the sticky wicket. I don't understand it considering what the competition is offering. Perhaps before it hits the streets Olympus has time to reconsider. Here's hoping...
I'm not holding my breath on that one. When the E-30 came out, it was also priced ridiculously high. The price dropped significantly over time, but it took a long time to come down to be in line with the competition. I also don't understand it. Maybe Olympus are trying to make the most profit possible from those who insist on being early adopters, but I think the strategy is counterproductive in the long run--it hurts market penetration and leaves the impression that Olympus gear is overpriced.

- Hal -
__________________
A Still Mind - Photography, Music, Meditation, Ministry - www.astillmind.net
Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hschnee For This Useful Post:
click-click (22nd September 2010)
  #119  
Old 22nd September 2010
ReggieB's Avatar
ReggieB ReggieB is offline
Gone to the Dark Side
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: The Holy City
Posts: 1,152
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 68
Thanked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Likes: 1
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via AIM to ReggieB
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
I'm not holding my breath on that one. When the E-30 came out, it was also priced ridiculously high. The price dropped significantly over time, but it took a long time to come down to be in line with the competition. I also don't understand it. Maybe Olympus are trying to make the most profit possible from those who insist on being early adopters, but I think the strategy is counterproductive in the long run--it hurts market penetration and leaves the impression that Olympus gear is overpriced.

- Hal -
As I recall, it even caused the E-3 to jump up in price.
__________________
~Reggie

Nikon D3s | D7100 | Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8G | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Sigma 35 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 Makro
Panasonic DMC-L1 | PanaLeica 25 f/1.4
Panasonic GF5 | 20 f/1.7 II


All images hosted courtesy of Flickr
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old 22nd September 2010
Kiki Kiki is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Sunny Orlando!
Posts: 55
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
I'm not holding my breath on that one. When the E-30 came out, it was also priced ridiculously high. The price dropped significantly over time, but it took a long time to come down to be in line with the competition. I also don't understand it. Maybe Olympus are trying to make the most profit possible from those who insist on being early adopters, but I think the strategy is counterproductive in the long run--it hurts market penetration and leaves the impression that Olympus gear is overpriced.

- Hal -
I just pre-ordered, so am fully committed to this camera. Yeah, I probably paid too much, but I really want to get my hands on it.
__________________
DISCLAIMER: Any advice, opinions, information, or data contained in this post should not be used or relied upon without rigorous independent analysis by the reader as to correctness and applicability to the reader's requirements. Any use of, or reliance upon the contents of this post is solely at the reader's own risk.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:00 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2012, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger