Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Smart tips

Smart tips Learn and share tips of the trade for making your Four Thirds kit work better for you!

Old 9th April 2010
triumph stag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
going digital courses

Hi everyone I have just found out about a local course one day course at Calke Derbyshire. After having a few disapointing attempts at courses college evening classes I get a little worried that here we go again wasting money you have not got. I am looking for anyone who has tried any of these courses and would love their advice. The course on the website description sounds good, but a little reasurance would help me thankyou olwen triumph stag
Old 9th April 2010

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Re: going digital courses

For the amount you spend on a course you could join a Photographic Club and get some good 1-2-1 help, tips, advice (and a cup of tea)

http://www.pagb-photography-uk.co.uk/

Look here for a club near you

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to
Old 9th April 2010
triumph stag

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi thankyou for your advice but I have found locally most people are Canon or Nikon. I was so pleased to find this forum I love my 2 Olympus cameras but find it hard to find like minded people. I currently have the E400 and the E620 with the 50R flash lenses 14/42 17.5/45 40/150 50 macro and sigma 55/200 plus the interfit basic studio lighting. trying to run before I can walk maybe, but I felt day courses may be of some use. I know I need more confidence but I am a perfectionist thankyou again olwen Triumph Stag
Old 9th April 2010

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I too find that most people use cameras other than Olympus, however I have also found that anyone who considers their camera to be superior to ours get a nasty shock when they see the quality of the results they produce and especially so the images from the 50mm.

I am a member of a club and also attend others as a judge and the subject of the camera make almost never gets mentioned. Interestingly I have of late found that some of the "macro" shots that I have considered to be excellent are taken on compact cameras.

Like many things, get the right club and you will learn a lot more than you ever thought you would just by listening to comments about other peoplles pictures and asking questions about the techniques they used.

Many clubs also have pratical evenings and days out where you can be a sponge and soak up lots of good information, tips, techniques etc..

Whatever you do decide to do, please let us see the results.

Good luck

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to
Old 10th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Clubs are all right but they can be very set in their ways, I would sign up and go on the course, you will probably find they too are mainly canikon orientated. Try one of the weekends that Olympus run in association with Holiday Fellowship, they arn't all that cheap but they do have lenses and cameras that you may use. I have been on two with Derek Forsse and found them useful and the accommodation is superb.
Old 10th April 2010
Len

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been on a couple of "Going Digital" courses the last one just a few days ago when I had a really good day photographing Birds of Prey.
they can be a bit basic as they cater for all abilities but if you choose the right course you will definitely get something out of it.
Old 10th April 2010
Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Bear

I can't stand clubs of any variety, I am with Mr Marx on that one, which is probably good 'cos there are none anywhere near. I have never been on a course either - probably for the same reason - although I have nothing in particular against them. My daughter attended one a couple of years ago and found it very unsatisfying. A lot depends upon matching the objectives of the course to yours and ensuring that that the course is populated by people with similar objectives. The latter, of course, you have no control over and rely upon the people running the course. I am entirely self-taught at pretty much everything really and have found over the years that I don't learn well at all in formal and group environments. Being ornery and difficult has a price to pay ! I find I learn best when left to my own devices to experiment and observe, no doubt my approach shows but I can't do it any other way. Please don't take this as being excessively negative towards courses, I mean that they are just no for me. The real issue is choosing the "right" course for you and I suggest that talking to the tutors and past students is the best way to find out if a course is likely to suit. Or, if they are not too expensive and you have the time, why not just do a couple and see what you think ?
Old 10th April 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Further to previous input
http://www.derekforss.com/Documents/Home.htm
Old 10th April 2010
Animal Portraitist

Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts

I agree with Bear that a lot of the value of a course depends on matching your objectives with the material the course covers. The quality of the teacher obviously makes a big difference too. What kind of instruction are you looking for? If it's technical information, you can probably find all you need on the web and in books, and get help on forums like this one. Composition and technique are more difficult to learn from reading.

I've never taken a classroom-type photo course, but I have some experience with other kinds of instruction. My experiences with photo clubs is mixed. I have been involved with two in the past, both very different. One was very program-oriented and competition-oriented. The educational aspect of the club was excellent, as they had many knowledgeable members and brought in professional photographers to speak every month. I learned a great deal from the presentations and from seeing the work of others. The downside of this club is that I didn't find it a whole lot of fun, though much of this can be blamed on the demographics of the membership (old, unfriendly, big-city folks). The other club was much more personal--it met in a tea house/restaurant, and the primary activity was sharing our photos; we could ask for specific feedback if desired, and there was quite a bit of discussion about technique. It was much friendlier than the first club, and I was sometimes inspired by the photos I saw, but the level of learning was not as high.

One thing that I can wholeheartedly recommend is a photo workshop that takes place "in the field." I attended a nature photography workshop led by a working pro a couple of years ago, and it improved my photography immeasurably. Photographing side-by-side with an expert, in a small group of students, was a great way to learn. The instructor brought us to some of his favorite locations, showed us what he looks for and what techniques he uses in different situations. He checked in on us as we were photographing and was easily accessible for questions. The combination of teaching and practice made a huge difference. These workshops are not cheap by any means--I could have bought a very nice lens for the same cost--but they can improve your photography much more than any piece of equipment.

- Hal -
Old 11th April 2010
Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Bear

I did buy the 123di interctive course for my daughter for Christmas. Not expensive (about $50 I think) and found it to contain huge amounts of information, a lot of it either new to me or presented in a new way. Good value for money IMHO. www123di.com