Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Accessory talk

Accessory talk This section of the FTU forum is for discussions concerning all aspects of Four Thirds system accessories, including flash, extension tubes, teleconverters, etc.

Old 21st May 2009
Toymaker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UV Filters Heliopan vs ProMaster HGX or others???

I'm here in the US and I just bought a Panny G1 and both lenses and I need 52mm UV filters. I am considering the Heliopan or the Promaster HGX which is about $15 less. I'm a newbie so I'm not real knowledgeable on the quality of these filters.

Any info, ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.

Ansel Adams
Old 22nd May 2009
Animal Portraitist

Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Re: UV Filters Heliopan vs ProMaster HGX or others???

I recall some discussion of filters here a number of months ago, but I can't remember when or in which forum.

The issue seems to be a matter of personal opinion to a large degree. I don't know of anyone who does scientific comparison tests of filters. I personally have a Hoya Pro-1 Digital on one of my lenses and a Heliopan SH-PMC on another (both UV filters). I can't tell any difference in picture quality between the two. I can't say for sure that these filters make a difference over cheaper ones, but my theory is that it doesn't make sense to spend money on a great lens and then put a cheap piece of glass in front of it.

- Hal -
Old 23rd May 2009
Half member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Ned Send a message via Yahoo to Ned Send a message via Skype™ to Ned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
I can't say for sure that these filters make a difference over cheaper ones, but my theory is that it doesn't make sense to spend money on a great lens and then put a cheap piece of glass in front of it.
I totally agree! Although I don't see enough difference to warrant a jump to better brands like Heliopan over say a Hoya or Kenko Pro-1, but I wouldn't buy anything cheaper than that for the reason you stated.

Of course, I only buy Polarizers and more expensive filters where price is a big factor. If I were willing to put a protective filter over my lens like a UV or Skylight, I would use the very best I can find since the price is not much anyways. If it's a difference of $15, I wouldn't think twice about it - I'd just get the better brand, or what I perceive to be the better of the two.

In your case I would definitely get the Heliopan. I don't know much about Promaster but I know Heliopan is good, so that would be the basis of my decision.
Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca
Old 24th May 2009
Toymaker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

ok... thanks everyone for your comments... I appreciate it...

Ansel Adams
Old 24th May 2009
Blue Drop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I said it before in another thread, but I'll say it again here: filters aren't a case where you get what you pay for. I have a bunch of cheap $15 Hoya UV filters for almost all of my lenses, but when I bought the 12-60mm I bought into the argument that it's a waste to buy an expensive lens and then put cheap glass in front of it (which hschnee mentioned as well).

So for the 12-60mm I put on a Hoya HMC Super UV filter, which cost around $80. To be perfectly honest, I feel like a fool for having bought that over one of the cheap filters. I don't see any difference when compared to my cheaper filters. The Zuiko Digital 50mm macro, which has a cheap $15 Hoya UV filter, still out-resolves the 12-60mm. Some people claim to be able to see a difference, yet I've never had anyone tell me "that picture would have been better if you'd just removed that UV filter."

I've seen someone do a side-by-side comparison with a filter on and off, and if that test of his is to be believed, then there is a bit of light loss with a filter. In theory a better filter should result in less light lost and better flaring protection. Can't say I've had issues with either of those even with the cheap filters, though...

Finally, there's someone whose opinion I trust and respect. He had two circular polarizers; one was around $18 and the other was $80, if I remember right. He said that there was barely any difference between the two, and that the $18 one was actually slightly better.

So there you have it. If you have money to burn and/or you'll feel better about your photography by having a very expensive filter in front of your lens, then you know what's right for you. If you're just buying a filter for some peace of mind about protecting the front element, then go with a reputable name (Hoya is my preferred) and get their cheapest one.

Final note - I'm not saying that there's absolutely no difference between the more expensive filters and the cheaper ones, because I'm sure there is. I also don't think that anyone who buys an expensive filter is foolish - only me I just don't think that the difference justifies the price difference, especially for a hobbyist.
Old 25th May 2009
Toymaker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Ledgem... I appreciate your input...

Ansel Adams