Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Micro Four Thirds

Micro Four Thirds This is THE place to discuss the emergence of the new branch of the Four Thirds platform, Micro Four Thirds.

Old 29th February 2012
Mandolinmaker

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
4/3 lenses for M4/3

Just out of curiosity, how many are regular users of 4/3 lenses on your micros?
Panasonic or Olympus adaptor or...? Are they practical, or as I read somewhere, like a coke can on a matchbox...
And finally have you had good success; do you like the idea?

Thanks!
Old 29th February 2012
Half member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Ned Send a message via Yahoo to Ned Send a message via Skype™ to Ned
Re: 4/3 lenses for M4/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many are regular users of 4/3 lenses on your micros?
Panasonic or Olympus adaptor or...?
I use the Panasonic adapter, because it is the first. I started the system with the E-P1 Digital PEN, and although Olympus made an adapter for it (the MMF-1) which was of identical build, it was white and $50 more expensive. My Four-Thirds lenses are all black, of course. The biggest issue was the $50 difference in price, for the same thing, lol.

Now Olympus has their MMF-2, which is generally cheaper but of a slightly lighter build. And it's black, like most Four-Thirds lenses.

However, if I were to buy one now it would without a doubt be the weather sealed MMF-3. It's even cheaper than what I paid for my Panasonic, which was already cheaper than the Olympus of the time. Why would you not want the weather sealing, when you're not even paying anything substantially more for it?

Quote:
Are they practical, or as I read somewhere, like a coke can on a matchbox...
Yes, I use them regularly and yes they are very practical. The Four-Thirds lens lineup has many lenses which aren't available in native Micro Four-Thirds mount. If you need a certain type of performance out of a lens, then you need that lens period.

Size is not a big issue. That's why we have interchangeable lens cameras. An interchangeable lens system allows us to have the type of lens we need for any particular situation, specialized to that situation for the utmost in quality. That hasn't changed since the days of SLRs as with the days of Non-Reflex. If I need a big heavy fast super-telephoto, I haul it with me and put it on. If I don't need it, I don't need to haul it around. That's all there is to it.

There were plenty of lenses which made my pro-grade, tank-built DSLR look like a matchbook. I never once considered that they were "too big to use". If I want to travel light then I'll pop on a small prime, but if I need the capabilities of a large fast telephoto then I bring a large fast telephoto. I probably won't keep it mounted all the time, just when I need it. That's what interchangeability and choice are all about.

Quote:
And finally have you had good success; do you like the idea?

Thanks!
Yes, I've had good success. Without these lenses, I may have had no success as I would not have the lenses which are suited to my needs.
Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ned For This Useful Post:
Hans (29th February 2012), JohnF (2nd March 2012), mhobart (2nd March 2012)
Old 1st March 2012
Mandolinmaker

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Concise and well put. Ordered a Viltrox adaptor for now and will wait for the weather sealed Olympus to come out.
As far as color, I do like black, but I wouldn't care if my silver Summilux 50 was polka dot.
Old 1st March 2012
Half member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Ned Send a message via Yahoo to Ned Send a message via Skype™ to Ned

Quote:
Concise and well put. Ordered a Viltrox adaptor for now and will wait for the weather sealed Olympus to come out.
As far as color, I do like black, but I wouldn't care if my silver Summilux 50 was polka dot.
...but what if it had a Hello Kitty pattern?
Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca
Old 2nd March 2012
Mandolinmaker

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Now that's going too far...
Old 2nd March 2012
Animal Portraitist

Liked 30 Times in 24 Posts

I think you found a way to introduce Leica to a new demographic. Six-year-old girls everywhere could be saving their allowance for $3000 lenses.

- Hal -
Old 2nd March 2012
Mandolinmaker

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hal, better yet, would be a great way for husbands to claim it was a cheap lens to their wives...
Old 2nd March 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi -

I regularly use the 12-60 and 50 macro on my EP1 and GF2. Work great, even if focusing at times isn't the fastest. Did try the 70-300 on it, but that's a bit of a reach on the GF2, for instance...

JohnF
Old 5th March 2012
Mandolinmaker

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

That 50 macro is a nice lens and fairly small too. I think my old 14-54 wouldn't be too bad on the new OM-5D. It's the 50-200, the 7-14 that bother me the most. Of course the Leitz lenses are pretty heavy but they fit the format, and the thought of a 100mm (effective) f1.4 or a 180 (effective) f2 is delightful compared to a "kit" lens.
The added benefit of the Leitz lenses is the absolutely stunning photos...they may not be as "tack sharp", but in my opinion, they "tell a better story", that is, the photos are a "romance" instead of stark reality.
Maybe I'm just gettin' old...
Old 5th March 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I did read here, or another forum, of wear & slight play on the plastic MMF-2.. so I bought the metal MMF-1 while they're still available.

The MMF-3 will have a tripod collar or mount. Which makes it perfect for say the 14-54ii I would have thought.

With SHG, imagine the IQ of the EM-5 with a 14-35 or 35-100 on a tripod..

I'm grabbing the MMF-3 as soon as they come to market.

Regards
Max P