Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > FTU Noticeboard > FTU site news

FTU site news Announcements concerning the FTU forum, gallery and the rest of this site in general.

Old 22nd July 2013
admin

Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts
Exclamation Questions for Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds camera industry

An opportunity for you!

Every now and again I get valuable opportunities to talk to camera industry VIPs and when such opportunities arise I try my best to convey your questions and comments.

In the next two weeks or so I will have such an opportunity. So once again I am appealing to anyone who wants an answer to a technical issue, a strategic issue, or even simply to comment or make a request concerning future camera designs, post your say here (or if you want to keep it private - email me via forum-admin@fourthirds-user.com).

I promise that all (sensible!) comments will be relayed. Some questions will no doubt be answered and I will post these back here on the forum, but others may be too sensitive to be answered immediately (or even at all). However - I will do my best to get responses!

I will give you an update on what is happening in due course - but just to give you a hint, I will talking to these camera VIPs in person, during a forthcoming trip to Japan.

Ian
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
mhobart (22nd July 2013), West Arm Rider (22nd July 2013)
Old 22nd July 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Questions for Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds camera industry

The obvious one for an Olympus 4/3 user, do I sell my E5 and lenses and switch completely to another format or will there be an update for the E5
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sponner For This Useful Post:
mhobart (22nd July 2013), varminty (25th July 2013), West Arm Rider (22nd July 2013)
Old 22nd July 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Without a doubt, this is absolutely the most important point that Olympus needs to address.
Old 22nd July 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In general, Olympus really needs to improve their communication regarding the future of their interchangeable lens systems. Remember way back when Olympus actually put out road maps? They need to do that again, and it is important that they provide their users with reliable information rather that leaving it to the rumors sites and forum trolls.

I would like to thank Ian for providing us with this opportunity. By the way, I consider Fourthirds-user.com and E-group.uk.net to be the most reliable websites in the West.
Ian (22nd July 2013)
Old 22nd July 2013

Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts

As above do we have a 4/3 development or is it time to move? M4/3 Olympus does not work for me I have already moved to Paasonic for a small sized camera. G3 with a better price . I like a view finder so do not like pens with the added cost of an eyepiece and the OMD is too expensive compared to other companies DSLRs. I have over 9000 tied up in Olympus kit which is losing value quickly so an answer soon would be a great help.
Regular reliable honest imformation on Olympus developments would go a long way to keep Olympus users on board.

Wee man

The early bird gets the worm , but the second mouse gets the cheese!
Old 22nd July 2013
Doomsayer of the 4/3 sys.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Just like the others, I would like to know more about future of 4/3s, new body with design going back to E-1 ergonomy (and possibly compatible accessory like grip, etc.) would be great.
I don't expect them to make any new 4/3 lenses (fast ultra-wide prime would be nice, telemacro as well), so I would like to know, if they are planning to make new m4/3 lenses that does not rely on software corrections.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction
Old 22nd July 2013
admin

Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponner View Post
The obvious one for an Olympus 4/3 user, do I sell my E5 and lenses and switch completely to another format or will there be an update for the E5
OK, this is one of those questions that Olympus will only unequivocally respond to in its own time. We have had plenty of hints that there will be action on this this autumn. Pure speculation could be that's why I'm going to Japan - but beyond that there is nothing that can be said officially until Olympus chooses to make an official announcement. I have no privileged information about new product.

But let's look at this logically and realistically - Olympus will certainly be interested in what you think so any particular points I will be able present to them directly. Your comments will be read!

Of course you can make a grand assumption that an E-5 successor is in the pipeline. I will try to get answers to your questions about this; I expect the best case scenario is that I will get answers under a time restriction so they can't be published until Olympus makes an official announcement. Worst-case, no answers at all.

Ian
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 22nd July 2013

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

Its good that you are going to Japan, you may find out a bit more on this burning question.
Olympus are and I'm sure have been running a big risk in not giving a clearer indication of what might come for the 4/3 users. Many people have jumped ship to other brands and of course over to m4/3 because Olympus have not handled this very well at all, but then whats new.
Surely Olympus realised that they could lose even staunch supporters with this wait and see attitude. Although I have hung on to my E-450 just in case its worth keeping for who knows what, I have moved over to another very well established brand.
Old 22nd July 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In all honesty, I have a pretty good kit now consisting of Olympus XZ-1, E-520, E-3 (10MP is fine with me) along with a good assortment of HG Zuiko lenses and accessories. This gear is really well-built and exceeds my own abilities. The only limitations are in the dynamic range and the realm of low-light/high-ISO photography. I really can't afford to switch to another format be it Nikon or m43 to fill this gap.

So, I must confess, that the only item I would actually consider buying would be a body that has a marked improvement with high ISO and can focus my HG Zuiko lenses better than my E-520 and E-3.
Old 22nd July 2013

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I don't think Olympus have handled this at all well, they must surely know they have been running a big risk of people jumping ship and to assume that every one will convert to m4/3 is crass. I know quite a few who have moved to other APS-C brands. I'm hanging on to my E-450 just in case there is some thing worth hanging on for, but I now have eggs in more than one basket just in case.