Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > FTU Noticeboard > FTU site news

FTU site news Announcements concerning the FTU forum, gallery and the rest of this site in general.

Old 14th October 2009
Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Bear
Re: The Festive Fotos competition short list!

I had completely forgotten about this. I lost interest many months ago. I agree with Hal, a bit embarrassing. I can't really remember if I entered or not but know I won't bother entering another, if there are any.
Old 14th October 2009
Ubiquitous Gruntfuttock

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschnee View Post
I agree--this seems excessive. It's made the competition feel like a bit of an embarrassment to me. Maybe in future competitions we can have some firm deadlines and timetables? That way, everyone would know what to expect, and entrants who do not comply can be disqualified so everyone else isn't left hanging. I hate to sound harsh, but it hasn't bee fair to most of the entrants (and interested observers!) to hold everything up because of one or two people.

- Hal -
I think unless we do have a firm timetable for entries, I wouldn't consider entering a future competition. I appreciate there might be delays if you really want to get hold of top-notch judges, but we shouldn't be held up by entrants.

I am sure Ian is fully aware and quite sensitive to these sort of comments - they are an aberration in a site I otherwise have 100% trust in and I'm sure this won't happen again.

Andy
Metz 58 AF-1&2 , Manfrotto 441, Gimbal Head, Velbon Neopod 74

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/elliott.aje.andy

"Oly_OM" @ e_group
Old 14th October 2009
Wahya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good things come to those who wait?.... well one of those at least

Wolf's Photos at zenfolio
*HAS*E-510 | E-30/HLD-4 | ZD 12-60mm SWD | ZD 50-200mm | EC-14 | FL-36 | Cold Warsteiners // *Wanted* Metz 58 af-2 | More Cold Warsteiners

Old 21st October 2009

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I remember Bear submitted some photos to the festive challenge even if he forgot.

Now, I have to admit, I'd like to know how the horses finally placed in this race.
Old 30th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Would make a great Christmas gift for someone

We all know that has been some time, but hope springs eternal! With the holiday season upon us. I'm thinking this would be a perfect time for the ultimate revelation of a winner in this competition. How close are we Ian?
Old 1st December 2009
admin

Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Well, I can reveal that sonyhome (Dan) is the winner, with his amazing picture featuring huge and colourful kites. I contacted him last week but he's been away, but he got in touch yesterday and so now the news can be revealed. Congratulations Dave! Your E-30 outfit will be on its way to you very soon.

I'm sorry for the long and drawn out process for this competition and I promise the next one will be simplified.

Indeed, November's competition to win a copy of ACD Photo Manager Pro is now closed and we will announced the winner later today.

Ian
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/

Last edited by Ian; 1st December 2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: He's Dan, not Dave (my bad!)
Old 1st December 2009
Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Bear

Congratulations Dave - a worthy winner
Old 1st December 2009
Veteran

Liked 176 Times in 54 Posts

Thats a good one for the Christmas stocking - congrats.
Old 1st December 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations!

Congratulations Dan! I really liked that picture myself, great work Enjoy your new E30!
Old 1st December 2009

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks Ian,

Yeah me

Now for a speech... Even if you don't want to hear it.

This is the first time I enter a real photo competition with a real prize. I'm thrilled to have been chosen . I'm gonna celebrate with a couple of friends whom I discuss photo often (BTW a small plug for Anil who's a step ahead of me in skills).

It was wise to wait for my reply before announcing: I was away with the US Thanksgiving break to remote parts of Death Valley NP, exploring where few tourists venture with a friend who owns a real 4x4 SUV. I could've never come back from there... Tourists have been known to disappear there. In fact, I injured myself and dislocated my ring finger there on saturday. I popped it back in place seconds after the accident as having the finger at 45 degree angle was freaking me up . The SUV also got hurt a little: its steering wheel is now tilted from making friends with a big rock, a little too fast. As usual, I'll post some pics later of our finds, since I bothered to bring my best FT setup, and used mostly a 12-60 lens.

A small word of how I do photography...

A lot of serious photographers do recon, and pick the time and sometimes date for their photo. I don't...

I've been shaped by my activities to do drive by shooting (I do mostly outdoors and climbing photo). This implies developping a few skills that many decent photographers have: detecting good compositions instantly, and then composing it fast. Among other things, I often find a good foreground subject that has a good setting for composition. I then move to get the best angle for the background setting. When I shoot I will often focus mostly on the background or other details of the composition. People who follow the critics section know my comments often relate to the above methodology. I often also control the light with the AEL button, and the focus with centered focus point and recomposition. So those have been musts on my last digital cameras. However I will rarely worry about the DOF unless I specifically feel the need to detach a subject or maximize DOF.

The kite photo I submitted followed that composition rule. I detected I liked the surreal proportions of the kites and the crowds, and composed. Since I already knew about the kites, my eye focussed on composing the setting: I looked to include the people as well ans the more remote kites I prefered, and tried to stack the larger kites. A close-up composition where none of the large kites was fully visible enhances the size impact of the kites. Fortunately there were many identical large kites, so I was able to include parts of each one. The viewer can easilly reconstruct how the main kites look as a sum of the parts shown.

I have to admit this competition is what first drew me into the forum: At the time I was looking at the high-ISO noise issue which was bugging me, first with my E-300 then later with my E-510, and I was contemplating a new body but wanted user feedback. Some may remember more or less educated posts I did on the subject, and my conclusion that I could pust the E-510 to ISO800 before noise became too destructive. Anyway, back then an E-30 naturally looked very enticing. I've since then stuck around, learned some and hopefully contributed some value to the other users of the forum. For the story, I forgot my E-300 in Yosemite comming back from my first Half-dome hike (loose some, win some I guess). I had bought it as a 2-lens kit, because I was leaving for a Utah trip and needed a cheap compact DSLR since I had no time to buy the Canon with 100-400IS lens I was eying (too expensive for an impulse buy). It turned out a great choice, and so I stuck with the system, with the E-510 which I bought after that loss, again as a full kit. I even gave away a full Canon Rebel DSLR setup I inherited to a cousin, as I now think the FT system is far superior for my light-and-fast travel needs. I believe the megapixel race is over so the FT system will catch up on the high-ISO race and will then pull ahead with the MFT. I even have Canon friends thinking that they will not save full-size RAW files with their next bodies as 15MPix/20MB files are overkill and too much to deal with. I also now post more here than in the nature photographer forum, as I prefer the critics here (NPN has too many pros, and a lot of photos there are technically textbook flawless but unimaginative, so the critics there turned out not as useful for me).

Anyhow, thanks again to Ian, the FT-user forum, all the voters of the competition, and Olympus for this festive competition opportunity.

Cheers!

Dan-