Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Olympus E-System Four Thirds DSLRs plus Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds compact system cameras > OM-D E-M1

OM-D E-M1 The new flagship Olympus Micro Four Thirds camera that let's you use Four Thirds DSLR lenses without compromise.

Old 12th August 2013

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Snibbo
Re: What would really make you unhappy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Perriment View Post

...I just hope that what is coming will prove to be an acceptable solution to the majority of 4/3 and M4/3 users...
Given the apparently limited resources of Olympus I fear that the solution will be too much of a compromise to appeal to serious users of either side. That makes me unhappy.

I hope I'm wrong.

My website: australisimages.com

EM-1, E-3, E-500 | ZD 12-40mm, 12-60mm, 50-200mm, 70-300mm, 60mm Macro, 35mm Macro, 20mm Pany | FL50R & Metz 48 AF-1 Flash | Manfrotto tripod & monopod, Gorillapod
Old 12th August 2013
Animal Portraitist

Liked 99 Times in 71 Posts

I am very much in agreement with John. I think it would be a mistake for the Olympus solution to be a traditional SLR. I know that many people on this forum are hoping for exactly that, but the market has spoken and changed over the past few years. Aside from a few enthusiastic fans, there is simply not a big enough market for a 4/3 SLR. It would have to be prohibitively expensive to make up for the R&D and tooling costs, and it would be either a fringe product or a dead-end system. I would be disappointed with a traditional SLR because it provides no path towards the future, which I'm convinced is mirrorless (i.e. it does nothing to improve AF performance of 4/3 lenses on MFT cameras).

I would also be very disappointed with a large adapter for MFT that includes a mirror, PDAF device, etc. As I've said several times in the past, such an adapter is sure to be bulky, delicate, and expensive. I find it a very klunky solution.

What I really want is an on-sensor AF solution in the new camera. This probably means on-sensor phase-detection. I'm eagerly awaiting test results and user reports about the Canon D70--not because I have any interest in owning one, but to see how well their new on-sensor PDAF system works. Hopefully Olympus have come up with something comparable (or better)! This solution would allow for use of 4/3 lenses on MFT with the existing MMF adapters, and provide optimal AF performance. Although it would require purchasing a new camera, the technology could be applied to all MFT cameras in the future. This could provide a full range system, from budget to pro, small to large. This is the most forward-thinking solution, and the one that I believe Olympus should pursue.

- Hal -
Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hschnee For This Useful Post:
Bikie John (14th August 2013), John Perriment (12th August 2013)
Old 12th August 2013
admin

Liked 123 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Bowman View Post
I think I'd be unhappy to see a dinky little (retro?) body that ignores the basic ergonomics that they got so right with the E-1. That made the OM-D a no-go for me (and yes, I have small hands).
Interesting - what in particular is not to your liking about the E-M5 ergonomics? Is the new Pen E-P5 any better?

Ian
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)
Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
Old 12th August 2013
Decrepit Veteran

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would be peeved if it would NOT also accept m4/3 lenses, and does NOT have an EVF at least as good as the VF4. Tilting would be good. Oh, and have yet another battery size.
The Following User Says Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
John Perriment (12th August 2013)
Old 12th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Small, to me, is not beautiful. I have big hands and the E-1 fits perfectly. I also notice the trend to take things out of the camera, but charge great prices for add-ons to put them back on, more fool to the customer for falling for the oldest trick in the book. I have been an Olympus user for over 50 years, but when my gear dies, it will be another make I will transfer to, not Olympus. Why pay all that money for the Sony sensor when you can get it for less in a Sony?

The picture is the story, it is your history. dw.
Old 12th August 2013
admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imageryone View Post
Small, to me, is not beautiful. I have big hands and the E-1 fits perfectly. I also notice the trend to take things out of the camera, but charge great prices for add-ons to put them back on, more fool to the customer for falling for the oldest trick in the book. I have been an Olympus user for over 50 years, but when my gear dies, it will be another make I will transfer to, not Olympus. Why pay all that money for the Sony sensor when you can get it for less in a Sony?
I think Olympus, first and foremost, is about the lenses. By all means move to Sony but you will have to use Sony lenses.

By the way, although Olympus' policy is not to publicly reveal the source of products produced for it by third parties, it's my understanding that there is a fair bit of Olympus sensor technology (from its medical imaging division) in the 16MP sensor used in the E-M5, E-P5, E-PL5 and E-PM2. It's not simply a re-sized Sony sensor.

What things have been taken out of the camera and offered as add-ons in particular?

Ian
Old 12th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Things to send me screaming into the hills if not on the new E-*:
- Lack of articulated screen - a must have for reportage, flowers, babies, macro, etc.
- Lack of 5 axis stabilised HD video
- Lack of a good hand grip - a must for using with the big four thirds lens
- Lack of improved wireless flash
- Less than 24 focus points (well I picked that figure out of my head, but I want good focus tracking across the screen for wildlife & aircraft!)
- Poor battery life - loads of gimmicks that drain the battery quickly would not be appreciated
- Lack of top class weather seals
- an electronic viewfinder . . .eeks, couldn't stand that unless brilliant!
_ and probably a hundred and one other things will scream out at me once I hopefully get to see how Oly will give me the answer that I am looking for!
Regards
Chris

Last edited by catkins; 12th August 2013 at 05:31 PM. Reason: add in
Old 12th August 2013
admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Things to send me screaming into the hills if not on the new E-*:
- Lack of articulated screen - a must have for reportage, flowers, babies, macro, etc.
- Lack of 5 axis stabilised HD video
- Lack of a good hand grip - a must for using with the big four thirds lens
- Lack of improved wireless flash
- Less than 24 focus points (well I picked that figure out of my head, but I want good focus tracking across the screen for wildlife & aircraft!)
- Poor battery life - loads of gimmicks that drain the battery quickly would not be appreciated
- Lack of top class weather seals
- an electronic viewfinder . . .eeks, couldn't stand that unless brilliant!
_ and probably a hundred and one other things will scream out at me once I hopefully get to see how Oly will give me the answer that I am looking for!
Regards
Chris
What would you like to see improved regarding wireless flash?

Ian
Old 12th August 2013

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I love the OMD but I would be really unhappy if the new camera had the following:

1. The same useless AFC / Tracking as the current camera
2. The same 1/4000 top shutter speed
3. The same 1/250 flash sync speed
4. The same 200 ISO base speed
5. The same poor Flash RC control with FL 600R (as much about flash receiver as camera triggering)
6. The same EVF megapixel count
7. The same LCD megapixel count
Old 12th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
What would you like to see improved regarding wireless flash?

Ian
I find the use of the E-30's flash to fire the remote flash not reliable enough at times depending especially on my shooting position and the location of the flash relative to the camera - i.e. if the remote flash is ahead of the camera and on the same side as the E-30 pop up flash (camera in the portrait mode) I should get reliable remote flash, but if I change the remote flash more to the side or turn the camera orientation then I am sometimes not getting reliable flash.
In a practise for a friend's wedding, I tried the remote flash at the nave end near the choir but slightly set behind a pew (so the flash didn't flare in the resultant photo) while I had the camera at the back of the church's aisle, and I couldn't get the flash to fire.
Ideally I would rather have a camera based, true wireless flash with a good range I suppose (resulting no doubt for new flashguns) rather than a 'slave' flash solution and so my answer would otherwise to buy an independent flash transmitter/receiver.
Regards
Chris
The Following User Says Thank You to catkins For This Useful Post:
Iansky (12th August 2013)