Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > FTU Noticeboard > General discussion

General discussion Here is the place to discuss photography topics that may not be specific to one of the other board topics on this forum.

Old 27th January 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-System dilemma

Hi,

I've been using five fantastic top grade four-thirds lenses since 2007 and, since my E3 has finally left me, I'm left with the inevitable upgrade decision - since my choices both go for the same price (USD$930) it's either;

an E5
PROS
Complements my lenses
An optical viewfinder which i like - less electronics to go wrong in the field
No adaptor needed
Still a damn good camera
Two card slot

CONS
outdated?
No wifi (no problem)
Will have to sell all to move into Micro Four-thirds

An EM-1
PROS
Flagship camera
image quality
Can move into M.Zuiko lenses

CONS
Electronic viewfinder may break
One card slot!

Probably many more pros and cons but those are the main ones for me.

You may have your say.

Many thanks
Warren
Old 27th January 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: E-System dilemma

I was in a very similar situation. I had an E-520, E-3, several high grade lenses and accessories. I handled an EM-1 in a camera store and even tested my 50-200mm lens on it, but I just didn't like the ergonomics and electronic viewfinder. I ended up buying a used E-5, which I've really enjoyed. The nice thing about this system is that all of the cameras can use interchangeable batteries and have similar menu systems. That makes it much easier when I cover events or shows.

The only m43 lens that really interests me is the 300mm f4, but that is out of my price range. So I have not made the system change to m43, and I'm not sure that I will in the future.
Old 29th January 2016
Animal Portraitist

Liked 99 Times in 71 Posts

There have been so many improvements over the past few years, so I think you're better off with the E-M1. Image quality is much better, handling is much better, and many of the new features are truly useful. Many people get hung up on desire for an optical viewfinder, but the EVF in the E-M1 is outstanding, and it does have some significant advantages over an OVF. Yes, there are tradeoffs, but in use, I find an EVF at least as good overall, and often better. Unless there is some feature of the E-5 that you absolutely need, I think that the advances and upgrade path of the E-M1 make it a better choice. And it's likely that an E-M1 II will be announced soon, so if waiting is an option . . .

- Hal -
Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.
The Following User Says to hschnee they like this post:
griffljg (30th January 2016)
Old 1st February 2016
Aussie

Liked 326 Times in 153 Posts

I would recommend the E-M1 (coming from E30) & have even bought a 50-200 SWD lens to use on it almost a year ago now & glad I have as it works well on the E-M1. With these bigger lenses though I also recommend the HLD-7 battery grip to make it better handling as well as doubling the battery life. The only drawback with the E-M1 compared to the DSLR models (E3, E30 & E5 all use the same AF modules AFAIK) is that it only uses horizontal PD-AF pixels (needing vertical detail) but in most cases it is fine (a rotation of the body for focus lock can get around that too).
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross For This Useful Post:
hschnee (1st February 2016)