Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > The Picture Show! > For the Album

For the Album This board is where to post your pictures if you aren't seeking critical feedback. Instead, start a discussion about the subject matter rather than absolute technical quality.

Old 28th June 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: The Weekly Close Up...15/2009...POST YOURS

@ Jim: I love the magnification and detail you get with your technique but I realize it's at the cost of more or less flat (flash) light.

Don't get me wrong, I love your images for the a.m. reason but some could use some more plasticity (I hope that is the correct English word).

@ Andy: I like how you keep an eye for composition, the photo of the Six Spot Burnets is a great example.

Some of the last few days:

Mom (or dad?) guarding the eggs. (Looks like the same type of spider as in Andy's 7th shot). E-620 Sigma 150mm f/2.8

Next day I found the offspring had hatched:
E-620 Sigma 150mm f/2.8

This one is for Jim:
E-3 ZD50mm + EC20

I have been hunting for this critter for some days, when it flies it looks like a tiny (6-7mm) butterfly. So when it landed I looked for a butterfly shape. This is how it really looks, it's like a grass flower to the naked eye:
E-3 ZD50mm + EC20

Only the last two images were slightly cropped, to improve the composition.

http://mordisco.smugmug.com
Old 29th June 2009

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Henk

Beautiful series, the spider guarding it clutch is a great behavure shot.

I'm trying to get a handle on what you said about needing more plasticity. It's a term we use to use to describe Canon colors years ago.

I agree that flash gives off a flat image but for the detail I want with moving bugs at the magnifications I use, there isn't any other choice than a twin flash to offset the shadows. With the 35mm, EC 20 combo at 2-1, I don't think natural light is a real option as often the lens shades the subject.

As I said to Andy, I know I need more composition work and with longer set ups, more natural light shots.

Thanks for sharing

Jim
Old 29th June 2009

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Damsils in flight

Spotted these little damsils (a inch and a half) hunting and breeding at a small lake we had lunch at yesterday. All I had was the 330, 50mm, EC 1.4, SRF-11 at the time so I ended up using AF with the camera at arms length to shoot them. (Mode A is still the best LV)
Most are natural light as the 330 only syncs up to 180 shutterspeed with the SRF-11 as it doesn't have FP TTL.

Thanks for looking

Jim
Old 29th June 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimindenver View Post
I'm trying to get a handle on what you said about needing more plasticity. It's a term we use to use to describe Canon colors years ago.

I agree that flash gives off a flat image but for the detail I want with moving bugs at the magnifications I use, there isn't any other choice than a twin flash to offset the shadows.
I know it's a trade-off Jim, with plasticity I mean a bit more sense of depth - 3D if you like. Like I said before I love the magnification and detail in your shots, they learn us so much of how these beautiful critters really look.

Close-up photography has made me more aware of the rich world of insects that is around us and learned me a lot of the diversity of them.

Happy shooting.

http://mordisco.smugmug.com
Old 29th June 2009

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Thank you Henk, now I know what you meant.

I am really looking for ward to the new flash bracket Oly is coming out with. I have two FL 50r's and want to set them up as a twin flash. I've held off creating my own because I am lazy.

I would love to have the OLY twin flash, but even with owning the controller, the heads and adapter are over $500. There are other things I need more.

I wouldn't mind a nice calm day here to try more natural light work, just not at such high magnification. Backing off will benefit not only in what you are speaking of but also composition. There will be a loss of detail and DOF due to distance and wider apertures.

This is what is best about the WCU for me. Since I started participating in them, I have seen all the different glass that can be used and a variety of techniques that I would have never thought to try. The discussion gives the insight to the different results.

I bet I could have the best 20 shooters form the three forums shoot the same bee on the same flower and we would get 20 clearly different results.

It would be a heck of a album to see.

Jim
Old 30th June 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It looks like a garden spider took ownership of the neighbors booty

The rightful owners immediately demanded their booty to be returned; and the missus sent daddy to take care of business! knock, knock! Pardon me but you're holding my dung fly.

A fierce battle ensued and you could tell that this dilemma would not be resolved amicably

At some point, it looked like the rightful owners would see the shorter end of the stick...

However, justice prevailed and the booty was returned to the happy couple

And, just like in any other story, the sore looser just turned away without saying hoopla!

All shot with the E-520 + 50mm ZD 2.0 + EC-20 + on board flash.
Old 30th June 2009
Veteran

Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Bear

Hi again - I have severely remiss about posting here in the last couple of weeks - sorry, I would plead pressure of work but as I am retired that excuse won't wash. I've been lazy, that's all. Hope the following go someway to apologising ! All E3 + EC20 + ZD50 macro, no cropping on any except the spider's web. usual PP adjustments.

Firstly, the bin laden of the campo (so called because it destroys everything. These beasties grow to be about the size of your finger here. 4.5-5in long and about 3/4in thick and they eat everything. The dogs like to snack on them. This one pictured as it is about to attack my grapevines !

Look closely, there is a bee in there. The bees are amazing to watch as they scramble under the 'canopy' of the passionflower to get at the pollen.

A very, very fine spider's web moistened by the earl morning dew - back in the days when we had early morning dew !

Please enjoy and comments are always welcome.
Old 30th June 2009
Forever Novice ..

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Excellent shots again .. in week 15 already!

I am considering a mamiya so everything is square this week ..

martin
Old 30th June 2009

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Cari

Wonderful series, I've never seen one spider pilfer anothers nest like that before. I wonder if it got it's meal while it had it's fangs sunk into the prey before it was run off.

I'm impressed with the pop up flashes usefulness here.

Bear

Yes you have been remiss and 6 of us are planning to hold you down while you are flogged.

Then again, since you did come back with a very nice series, we may forgo the floggings.

Really though, while I appreciate the participation in the WCU, it is never required. We will just have to be content with missing you.

Also, I thought we'd see alot of the EC 20 and the sigma macro from you for 2-1, but I think it has been glued to your 50mm. It is a great combo.

Martin

For everyone in the WCU, I say thank you for the kind words. Your shot adds to the quality we see every week and it has been outstanding.

You are right though, week 15. The 4th of July is already here and the summer is half over even though it feels like it is just beginning here.

Thanks for sharing everyone

Jim
Old 6th July 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys some great macros well here is my effert

40-150mm 1:4-5.6 ED
14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 ED
Metz 48 AF-1 Flash