Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Motion pictures (Video)

Motion pictures (Video) The FTU forum board dedicated to video topics.

Old 11th September 2014
Animal Portraitist

Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Video Problem with Aftermarket Battery?

I hardly ever use my camera (E-M5) for recording video, and I know very little about it, but I attempted to last night. I was going to make a video of an Improv comedy performance that I was participating in, so the plan was to set the camera on a tripod, press record, and walk away. I charged up all my batteries and attached the battery grip to ensure that I had enough power. Then I forgot to put a battery in the grip. The battery in the camera was an aftermarket unit which, despite the manufacturer's claims, gives less than half the life of the Olympus one.

What happened is that the camera only recorded for 2-4 minutes each time I pressed record. When I went to check the camera between scenes, it had stopped recording, the rear screen was blank, and a half-press of the shutter release didn't wake it up. I had to flip the power switch off and then on again to reactivate the camera. When I pressed the shutter release to start recording video again, the same thing happened--only a couple of minutes of video were recorded.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I couldn't locate any kind of menu setting that would limit the recording time. At home today, I put in the Olympus battery and did a test video. I kept going for over 20 minutes, until I stopped it. So my only guess is that the aftermarket battery caused a problem. Could this be an issue with camera settings, or should I just blame the battery?

- Hal -
Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.
Old 12th September 2014
Doomsayer of the 4/3 sys.

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Re: Video Problem with Aftermarket Battery?

It sounds like a battery problem. What "brand" it is? I am planning to buy some cheap batteries for my new E-M1, so it would be nice to avoid the faulty ones.

E-1(x2) | ZD 14-45 | ZD 14-54 | ZD 40-150 Mk.1 | ZD 70-300 | FL-50 | Velbon Sherpa 750R
M42(Pancolar 50/1.8, Pentacon 200/4)+ M42->4/3 reduction
Old 12th September 2014
Animal Portraitist

Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Lama View Post
It sounds like a battery problem. What "brand" it is? I am planning to buy some cheap batteries for my new E-M1, so it would be nice to avoid the faulty ones.
I bought it online from bestbatt.com. It doesn't have a brand name on it. The price was very low--two batteries and a charger for just $26 (US). But even for the low price, they are clearly not a good value. Capacity is low for stills photography, and they apparently fail when making videos.

- Hal -
Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.
The Following User Says Thank You to hschnee For This Useful Post:
T-Lama (13th September 2014)
Old 15th September 2014
Veteran

Liked 150 Times in 47 Posts

Bought a similar 2 batt pack with charger .. from ebay..brand ??
bought for the charger which sources 12v (car etc).
Things worked..until last week..i was in a slightly cold/wet climate.. the battery barely lasted for about less than 20 shots ( EM-5) in quite a frequent shutter-releases..It showed up with a bulge on the surface...
have decided to junk the battery.
The charger does not charge the original oly battery either.
For the time being am experimenting the use of Li-ion cells (the type used in laptops)..
progress so far:
have used the Hyperjuice-Expand battery pack (9000mAh @ about 3.6v)

OPT-1
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice/Expand/

.. used an electronic boost-circuit to raise it to 9v DC and plugged it to the HLD-6 via cable (cannibalised from AC-3 , adapter)

.. since i need power where there is none available- while travelling for days without power availability.

so far things have worked wonderfully..with this prototype setup..
will be making a respectable looking case soon..will upload details for anybody interested.

I see options for connecting directly to camera via dummy battery..can't find one anywhere..decided to fabricate one for the OMD..soon.

have also tried a larger battery pack
OPT-2
http://www.hypershop.com/HyperJuice/...ad-iPhone-USB/

This pack gives a voltage output of around 18 volts..(standard for laptops)..used another electronic circuitry to drop the voltage to 9 volts for the HLD-6.

I have these battery packs for my macbook-air and reserve phone charging.

Both the alternatives work fine...
I feel the first one is lighter and better..the external battery can be charged from USB ports, and one battery pack gives me about 5 times the running time of the BLN-1..

I could also use two such packs in series for direct BLN-1 battery voltage (no electronics required) .. or any Li-ion cells which can give the required 7.6v..(as long as you have charging capability / device for them)...The critical thing i've noticed is that the OMD requires more than 12 watts (perhaps 15 watts)..need to measure the threshold).
The bodies tested so far..OMD-EM5, OMD-EM1, E-5.

regards.