Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Panasonic Lumix cameras > Lumix DMC-GF1

Old 14th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Film Mode and RAW files question

I've set a couple of Film Modes on my GF-1 (Nostalgic Colour and a B&W setting) but when I uploaded the RAW files to my computer the Film Mode settings seem to have been lost & the B&W images were in colour. I had assumed that the 'film' characteristics were part of the image, not meta-data.

Does this mean that I must shoot everything in standard mode and change the images to B&W with post-production in Photoshop??
Old 14th May 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Film Mode and RAW files question

RAW always gives you whatever comes straight from the sensor, any processing (such as B+W conversion) only affects the JPG files so you'd need to shoot in JPG only or RAW+JPG...
AntManBee (14th May 2012)
Old 14th May 2012

Liked 21 Times in 18 Posts

Hi, Raw is for stills and Film modes are for Video.
Cheers, Rob
Old 15th May 2012
Veteran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
Hi, Raw is for stills and Film modes are for Video.
Cheers, Rob
Not quite Rob, RAW is just that raw data from the sensor, the film modes relate to JPG only and affect the way the JPG is produced in camera, they do not affect the RAW file at all.
The changes the film modes make may be saved as metadata to be used by PP software (OLY software will do this, rather like I/C processing but after the shot).
If you are shooting raw and B/W the embeded jpg i.e preview will show you the result but the RAW file won't/can't because no processing as such has taken place.
As you need some sort of PP software to handle/process RAW files it is usually just the click of a button to remove all colour information and convert to JPG, leaving the RAW untouched.
I don't shoot JPG so don't ever use film modes, B/W or scene modes, other than to set the film mode to natural as this gives me the best preview for exposure setting and controlling highlighs via the camera screen.
Old 15th May 2012

Hi Howi,
I think there is a misunderstanding here. I KNOW what Raw is!
My response was mainly to point out to AntManBee that the Film Modes ie. Nostalgic etc don't work or can't be used when taking Photos in Raw format or even jpeg.
They are used only when shooting Video. AntManBee was trying to use those film modes while shooting Raw Photos. And wondering why it doesn't work.

I take all that back. Just realised that the GF1 doesn't shoot video. I thought it was the same as my GH2!
So the answer to AntManBee's question would be that you have to shoot multiple photos,
set up a film mode to shoot both a Raw and a Jpeg file (at the setting Nostalgic) when taking shots.

Cheers, Rob
Old 15th May 2012
Animal Portraitist

Liked 99 Times in 71 Posts

Ah, the different meanings of the same word. "Film" in this sense is referring to "film simulation mode," which makes a photo look as though it were taken with a particular type of film rather than on a digital camera. As Howi says, this is processing that is only applied to JPEGs. If you capture RAW and use photoshop or some other editing software, it won't have access to the film modes that are built into the camera (though it may have its own film modes or other special effects). JPEGs created by the camera will have the film mode applied to the photos.

- Hal -
Olympus E-M5; Panasonic-Leica DG Summilux 25mm; Zuiko 12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD; Sigma 105 Macro; Rokinon (Samyang) 7.5mm fisheye; Olympus 8/1.8 PRO fisheye; FL-50R; Giottos MT-8361 tripod with Gitzo GH2780QR ballhead.
Old 15th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks everyone - it's clear now and if I want to shoot in B&W with RAW then I can select the Film Mode just to see what it looks like and then render the RAW file into B&W later in Photoshop. I hadn't really understood what RAW mode was but now understand it is the sensor image with no meta-data.

By the way Rob, the GF1 does shoot video.
Old 15th May 2012

Ah AntManBee, so can you shoot a video with the Nostalgic look?
Sorry for the confusion. One of the earlier Panasonic models didn't shoot video.
Cheers, Rob
Old 16th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntManBee View Post
Thanks everyone - it's clear now and if I want to shoot in B&W with RAW then I can select the Film Mode just to see what it looks like and then render the RAW file into B&W later in Photoshop. I hadn't really understood what RAW mode was but now understand it is the sensor image with no meta-data.

By the way Rob, the GF1 does shoot video.
This is what I do. If I'm thinking B+W I set the film mode to one of the B+W choices and shoot raw+jpeg. I see B+W in the viewfinder and have a jpeg for reference.

Fred
Old 16th May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertD View Post
Ah AntManBee, so can you shoot a video with the Nostalgic look?
Sorry for the confusion. One of the earlier Panasonic models didn't shoot video.
Cheers, Rob
The very first, the G1
The Following User Says Thank You to Fred L For This Useful Post:
RobertD (16th May 2012)