Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Panasonic Lumix cameras > Lumix DMC-GF1

Old 3rd March 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
GF1/20mm or GF2/14mm

I'm looking forward to my first MFT and am caught in a dilemma. I'm also new to the forum.

I've been reading up on these two models and lenses. Both have pros/cons and for the most part, the GF1 seems to be the favorite amongst Panasonic owners.

Here is my dilemma. I have the option to buy a used GF1 with the superb 20mm lens for about the same price as a new GF2 with a 14mm lens ($400) Both have the same accessories as if bought new except with a uv filter that is already included in the GF1. The GF1 is in great condition (lens and body). Only problem is that the LCD is slightly scratched. Its not a deep scratch. More noticeable when the camera is off than on. Of course the GF2 would come with a warranty while the warranty for the GF1 has expired.

Is it worth paying $400 for a used GF1 even though it seems to be a better setup or should I go with the GF2 knowing its brand new and will come with a warranty.

Any subjective input would be appreciated.
Old 6th March 2012
Veteran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: GF1/20mm or GF2/14mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by klam View Post
I'm looking forward to my first MFT and am caught in a dilemma. I'm also new to the forum.

I've been reading up on these two models and lenses. Both have pros/cons and for the most part, the GF1 seems to be the favorite amongst Panasonic owners.

Here is my dilemma. I have the option to buy a used GF1 with the superb 20mm lens for about the same price as a new GF2 with a 14mm lens ($400) Both have the same accessories as if bought new except with a uv filter that is already included in the GF1. The GF1 is in great condition (lens and body). Only problem is that the LCD is slightly scratched. Its not a deep scratch. More noticeable when the camera is off than on. Of course the GF2 would come with a warranty while the warranty for the GF1 has expired.

Is it worth paying $400 for a used GF1 even though it seems to be a better setup or should I go with the GF2 knowing its brand new and will come with a warranty.

Any subjective input would be appreciated.
Lets ignore. the scratch for a moment, the GF1 with the 20mm is a far better combination than the GF2 with the 14mm.
The 20mm lens is SO much better than the 14mm and more expensive of course.
The GF2 was considered to be a poor upgrade, as it took away some of the functionality of the GF1 and introduced touch screen for function control (I hate touch screen's anyway).
It's now down to price, and S/H condition - screens can become scratched but doesn't affect usage much unless it's very bad - try and negotiate with the seller.

For my two pence worth (cents for our US brethren) I would go with the GF1 and 20mm combo (I have the GF1 and 20mm so am somewhat biased).
I also have the 14mm and while the FOV is usefull, image quality is just not on a par with the 20mm
general concensus of opinion is that the GF1 is still better than the GF2 (usability wise) and the 20mm is THE m43 lens to have(without having to spend megabucks).
Old 6th March 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for your 2 pence worth So I was all prepared to purchase the GF1 and the seller pulled out last minute. I guess after showing me some of the work that he has shot with the camera and showing of its features, it must have made him abit nostalgic and therefore changed his mind. Oh well.

Still lingering about the GF2, but I won't be upset if they sell out. There is always something else, or continue hunting for a GF1. The only appeal to the GF2 at this point is for the 14mm lens. I know its not a 20mm, but better than the 14-42 or 14-45 IMO.
Old 7th March 2012
Veteran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klam View Post
Thanks for your 2 pence worth So I was all prepared to purchase the GF1 and the seller pulled out last minute. I guess after showing me some of the work that he has shot with the camera and showing of its features, it must have made him abit nostalgic and therefore changed his mind. Oh well.

Still lingering about the GF2, but I won't be upset if they sell out. There is always something else, or continue hunting for a GF1. The only appeal to the GF2 at this point is for the 14mm lens. I know its not a 20mm, but better than the 14-42 or 14-45 IMO.
The GF2 with the 14mm is small enough to fit in a pocket, more so than the GF1 (depends on your pockets though :-) )
If pocketability is not too high on the list then the 14-45 is considered to be better than the 14-42.

We are now in the realms of G.A.S (gear aquisition syndrome) which we all suffer from at some stage.
So! to feed your G.A.S I would suggest that whether you get the GF1, 2 or 3 that you get all three lenses 14, 20 and 14-45 (if you can find one) then you have most bases covered.
Once your wallet has recovered, you can then start to think about something longer, 45-200, 100-300, 14-140, 75-300.
Then there are lots of new primes, Macro, the new 12-50 and we haven't even covered proper wide angle yet........

Will someone please stop me, my wallet is starting to scream at me "spend" "spend" "spend"
Old 7th March 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howi View Post

We are now in the realms of G.A.S (gear aquisition syndrome) which we all suffer from at some stage.
Oh, I'm well aware of the G.A.S. In fact I have it from other hobbies (cycling). The remedy seems to be the 'empty wallet' therapy. However, it only last a couple weeks until the next paycheque arrives.

Anyways, I have decided against the GF2 for now, and on a wimb I went and got a LX2 ($160 CAD). Yeah, I know its not a GF series, but boy I am impressed with the quality of it (comparing to a cheap point/shoot Olympus Tough 3000, which I have).

I am continueing my hunt for a GF1with a 20mm or 14mm at the very least and start the lens colletion from there.

cheers
Old 7th March 2012
Half member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Ned Send a message via Yahoo to Ned Send a message via Skype™ to Ned

The GF-1 and GF-2 are both older bodies and you may want to upgrade them soon. I would therefore get the GF-1 with the Lumix 20mm f/1.7, as you will have a better lens to carry you through to your next body.

Besides which, the GF-1 has better button control, which the GF-2 started replacing with touch screen control (though not as badly as the GF-3!). The GF-1 will remain a classic camera.
Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD | Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 | Vivitar 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Carl Zeiss Sonnar 135mm f/2.8 | Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 | Konica Hexanon 85mm f/1.8 | G.Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 | Zuiko 35mm f/3.5 Macro | Zuiko 25mm f/2.8 | KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5 | E.Zuiko 200mm f/4 | Zuiko 75-150mm f/4 | Olympus EC-14 teleconverter | VF-2 and VF-3 Viewfinders | EMA-1 Mic Adapter | Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R speedlights

cyclopsphoto.ca