Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > Equipment > Panasonic Lumix cameras > Lumix DMC-GF1

Old 9th December 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Time to upgrade?

I have been thinking I should sell my GF1 and view finder and then get a G3 rather than wait for the GX1. With the view finder attached the size and weight difference isn't huge and it would be far cheaper by the time the new external view finder was added to the GX1. My issues with the GF1 are that the electronic view finder isn't great and I would like a better sensor. I think the G3 should improve these areas. Any thoughts?

thanks

Luke
Old 9th December 2011
Lost in (RGB) Space

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Time to upgrade?

I'd upgrade to GX1 (from GF1) if it had a swivel LCD. Maybe next model will - GX2?
Old 9th December 2011
Decrepit Veteran

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
I have been thinking I should sell my GF1 and view finder and then get a G3 rather than wait for the GX1. With the view finder attached the size and weight difference isn't huge and it would be far cheaper by the time the new external view finder was added to the GX1. My issues with the GF1 are that the electronic view finder isn't great and I would like a better sensor. I think the G3 should improve these areas. Any thoughts?

thanks

Luke
I hated the evf on my GF1. The G3 viewfinder is streets ahead, and in my opinion the sensor is better too, though maybe not by as much. But they do handle differently, so try to get your hands on one before you commit.
Old 9th December 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Another thought is that I should also consider the GH2 in the mix. It is bigger and more expensive than the g3 but may also be a better camera. Video isn't a huge interest for me but if the G3 is too dumbed down I might not like it. I need to find somewhere I can get these cameras in hand.
Old 31st May 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kind of old thread but I just picked up a Fuji X-Pro1 (great camera, silly name) so that answers my question. It was expensive but I am very happy with it. The optical and electronic view finders are both great, the image quality is much better than then GF1 and the lenses are super high quality. I have the 35mm now and will get the 14mm when it comes out later this year. At $600 for a f1.4 50mm equivalent the lens prices at least aren't too bad. I have also been using it with my M42 Pentax glass and it seems to work well.

I guess I won't be around here much in the future. I am going to list my m43 gear for sale. Thanks
Old 31st May 2012
Administrator

Liked 115 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise View Post
Kind of old thread but I just picked up a Fuji X-Pro1 (great camera, silly name) so that answers my question. It was expensive but I am very happy with it. The optical and electronic view finders are both great, the image quality is much better than then GF1 and the lenses are super high quality. I have the 35mm now and will get the 14mm when it comes out later this year. At $600 for a f1.4 50mm equivalent the lens prices at least aren't too bad. I have also been using it with my M42 Pentax glass and it seems to work well.

I guess I won't be around here much in the future. I am going to list my m43 gear for sale. Thanks
Glad you are pleased with your new Fuji and I wish you well for your photography in future.

John