Advertisements

Go Back   Four Thirds User discussion forum > FTU Noticeboard > General discussion

General discussion Here is the place to discuss photography topics that may not be specific to one of the other board topics on this forum.

Old 17th November 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Macro Lens

I am interested in shooting more macro. I have a Lumix 20mm, 1.7 lens. Is this considered a macro lens, or should I look into purchasing one? If I should look for another lens, would love recommendations!
Old 17th November 2015

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Macro Lens

The Leica/Lumix macro lens is excellent I used to have one, but decided to go down the extension tubes route and sold it. Olympus do a very good one as well, no personal experience of this lens.
The trouble is lens manufacturers sell genuine macro lenses, but many are given macro description but in reality are little more than closeup lenses, usually zoom lenses with claimed macro capability.

Close up and macro are not the same thing.

Patrick
Old 17th November 2015

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you, Patrick. I was thinking of ordering extensions. Which brand do you have?
Old 17th November 2015

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

An unbranded set about 30 from eBay, supports all the electronic features.
Not the very best of engineering but more than adequate. When all is said and done it's all about putting space between the sensor and the lens to allow the much closer focusing.
I get very good results, more than happy.
For the low price worth trying out, if you are unhappy it not a great loss.

Patrick
Old 18th November 2015

Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts

short lenses on tubes require you to be very close to the subject and you may have problems getting all th light you need to the subject.

The 60mm Olympus will produce 1:1 images (True Macro)

The Kenro tubes are very good.

Keep smiling, it gets folk wondering what you've been up to
Old 18th November 2015

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I always advise using a tripod for macro work, as light can be a problem if for no other reason than small apertures are required, due to shallow depth of field. A ring flash or a pair of matching speed lights mounted either side of the lens can give shadowless light.
A proper macro lens at the end of the day is possibly the best option, but not nessesarily as there are advantages with tubes.
I found using a longer lens even up to 200mm on tubes gives good macro images without having to get as close to the subject. Depth of field again can be a problem.
The Kenro tubes are indeed a finer quality that the one I described, I have just looked they are branded Fotga but they are still not at all bad and as I said they still support your lens functions to camera. Tubes are not optical items so image quality is not effected whether expensive tubes or cheap ones are used.
However if a lot of macro work is anticipated then it makes sense to get the best affordable.
All the reviews I have read rate the Olympus very highly but also the Leica/Lumix version, but the Olympus has a lower price rag, well it's not got Leica written on the barrel has it.
Patrick